"Go to First Frame of Selected" shortcut ?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Thurn42

"Go to First Frame of Selected" shortcut ?

PostThu Dec 29, 2022 10:34 am

Hello everyone !

I am a used to Premiere Pro and I'm in the process of switching to Resolve for video editing and color grading. Two shortcuts that i use very often to move around my timeline are the "Go to first frame of selected clips" and "Go to last frame of selected clip".

I do not find any way to replicate this in Resolve. I did find the "Playback -> Go to -> First Frame (and last Frame) shortcut, but it only concerns the clip that the playhead is hovering.

Did i miss something ? Is there another solution ?

Cheers and thank you

Edit: I'm sorry to make a post about something as basic as Keybinds, but i looked into the forum and didn't find any anwser. I also find that i can't remap some commands, like "Mark selection" is stuck with "Shift + A" even if i add another keybind..

some keywords for the search algorithms:
go to start of selected clip resolve , go to end of selected clip resolve, move playhead to first frame of selected resolve, move playhead to last frame of selected resolve

Jim Simon

Re: "Go to First Frame of Selected" shortcut ?

PostThu Dec 29, 2022 4:10 pm

I switched from Premiere Pro myself. There are differences I had to get used to. I often had to change the way I did things.

This might be true here for you as well.

Clip selection seems irrelevant here. Use the playhead to 'select' the clip before using the shortcuts.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Thurn42

PostFri Dec 30, 2022 11:03 am

Thank you for your answer.

Peter McLennan

PostFri Dec 30, 2022 9:02 pm

<up arrow> and <down arrow> moves the playhead between edit points.

Note the track selection icons at the LHS side of the timeline. Under the track title "Video 1", there are three icons. A lock icon, the track selection icon and what looks like a bit of film. (that's the "track disable" icon)

The edit-to-edit jumping behaviour of the play head is determined by status of the "track selection" icon (the center one of the three). If a track is selected, the playhead movement from clip to clip is enabled. If the track is NOT selected, edit points are ignored.

So, to advance to the first frame of a clip, use the <down arrow>. To go to the last frame of a clip, back up one frame from the edit point with the <left arrow>

Keyboard operations with Resolve are superb. Fast and precise. Well worth learning.
ASUS ROG X570-E motherboard, Ryzen 9 3900X, 64GB RAM, 1TB SSD boot, 2TB NVMe work, Zotac RTX 3060 12 GB, Behrenger Uphoria UMC 404HD.

Return to DaVinci Resolve