Downscaling

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Miha Horvat

Downscaling

PostWed Jan 08, 2014 6:10 pm

Hi!
Ive never done this before so how do you do it?

Thanks.

Jules Bushell

Re: Downscaling

PostWed Jan 08, 2014 7:42 pm

Davinci Resolve downscales every well.

Just go to deliver tab and set your resolution.

Jules
Jules Bushell
url: www.nonmultiplexcinema.com
url: www.filmmeansbusiness.com
url: www.blurtheline.co.uk

Yaroslav Altunin

PostThu Jan 09, 2014 10:09 am

I have a follow up question. Will setting the timeline resolution to HD when initially setting up the project downscale it as well? Or is it just setting the grading resolution, with the full 2.5k resolution being used to render out the final file? I hope that questions makes sense.

Pete Proniewicz-Brooks

PostThu Jan 09, 2014 10:48 am

Yaltunin wrote:I have a follow up question. Will setting the timeline resolution to HD when initially setting up the project downscale it as well? Or is it just setting the grading resolution, with the full 2.5k resolution being used to render out the final file? I hope that questions makes sense.

I believe DaVinci always uses the full source resolution to produce the output file regardless of timeline/export settings even if you are using the lite version and the source file is greater than the lite resolution limits. It uses this info when scaling to the set output resolution.

Yaroslav Altunin

PostThu Jan 09, 2014 10:52 am

Thats what I assuming. What are the benefits of downscaling from 2.5k to HD?

Sean Pfeiffer

PostThu Jan 09, 2014 12:09 pm

Yaltunin wrote:Thats what I assuming. What are the benefits of downscaling from 2.5k to HD?

It produces a better looking image, and since you are almost certain to be delivering in 1080p anyway, why not?

That extra little bit of resolution is good for when you need to stabilize or crop, but the footage does look really nice when downressed.
Sean Pfeiffer

Return to DaVinci Resolve