Replace Existing Grades Toggle Off

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

iddos-l

PostThu Jan 12, 2023 9:13 am

Does anybody know of a way to disable the warning massage: "replace existing grades" ?
When applying a grade to multiple clips this warning pops up. I believe this was added in V18.

Jim Simon

Re: Replace Existing Grades Toggle Off

PostThu Jan 12, 2023 4:26 pm

What triggers it?
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

iddos-l

PostThu Jan 12, 2023 4:32 pm

iddos-l wrote:When applying a grade to multiple clips this warning pops up. I believe this was added in V18.

Try selecting 10 clips in color and apply grade to them. I think the warning is triggered when more than five clips are selected.

Jim Simon

PostThu Jan 12, 2023 4:35 pm

I haven't found how to duplicate that.

As there are many ways to apply a grade, that's why I was asking "how"?
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

iddos-l

PostThu Jan 12, 2023 4:38 pm

When selecting multiple clips in the clips thumbnails strip and middle click to apply a grade from another clip down the line.

Jim Simon

PostThu Jan 12, 2023 4:47 pm

Ah, there it is.

Sorry, I don't have any info about that. (Though I admit, I kind of like the warning.)
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

xunile

PostThu Jan 12, 2023 4:53 pm

I see the same behavior if copying to more than 5 clips. I don't know of a way to disable the message.
Attachments
2023-01-12 (3).jpg
2023-01-12 (3).jpg (460.65 KiB) Viewed 2868 times
Win 10 Home | Intel i7 - 10700f 64 GB 1 TB GB SSD 2 TB SSD
RTX-3060 12 GB | Resolve Studio 18.6.6| Fusion Studio 18.6.6

Win 10 Home | Intel Core I7-7700HQ 32 GB 1 TB NVME SSD 1 TB SATA SSD
GTX-1060-6GB | Resolve 17.4.6

Matthew Schwab

PostMon Jan 16, 2023 5:29 pm

Anyone discover a way of turning this off yet? Preferences?

iddos-l

PostTue Jan 17, 2023 8:58 am

Jim Simon wrote: (Though I admit, I kind of like the warning.)

I work with Timeline Thumbnail Mode (A/C) and this warning is very annoying, I need to confirm this message like a hundred times a day.

Marc Wielage

PostTue Jan 17, 2023 9:59 am

Yeah, I think this should be a pref, "Warn Before Replacing Existing Grades?" I would keep it off -- I'm always very, very, very careful when doing a global operation like that.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

iddos-l

PostTue Jan 17, 2023 10:05 am

Absolutely, I will take full responsibility for my actions

Syrzyk

PostTue Jan 17, 2023 11:31 am

Yes, another voice for toggle to disable this annoying message. Thank You.

To be honest it's great that You recognize the problem - the solution is just wrong. We should be able to UNDO group grade replacement instead of being warned of doing it. 99% of time we want to replace like whole scene with one grade and tweak it from there. It's the 1% we do it because of a mistake.

EDIT: I just found a little bit of inconsistency - You only get warning message if You try to replace grades with timeline clip grade (middle click). If You try to apply grade from memories or gallery - no message. Also no message if you append grade.
DR Studio 18.1.3 Build 8
AMD Ryzen 7 1700X @ 3.4GHz
Windows 10 Pro x64
32GB RAM
GTX 1080 Ti 11GB, "Studio" driver 528.02
Blackmagic DeckLink Mini Monitor 4K, driver 12.4.2

Pepijn Klijs

PostTue Jan 31, 2023 11:31 am

I just installed v18.1.2 few hours ago and started to work with it, and, here I am...

It's really annoying and unnecesary, at least please make this an option to be turned off.

I'm working with 800-1000 shots timelines every day. And Im sure im not the only one. I'm contstantly copying grades to more then 5 clips at once.

Cindrivani

PostTue Jan 31, 2023 2:00 pm

iddos-l wrote:Does anybody know of a way to disable the warning massage: "replace existing grades" ?
When applying a grade to multiple clips this warning pops up. I believe this was added in V18.

Did you try to create some groups with some of your clips, depending your ideas ?
DVR Studio 18.6.4 | MacOs 12.7.1 | MacPro 5.1 dual X5680 DDR3 96 Go | RadeonVII
Scratchdisk Sonnet M.2 4x4 2To
SpeedEditor | MicroPanel | DeckLink MiniMonitor 4K

Marc Wielage

PostTue Jan 31, 2023 2:17 pm

Syrzyk wrote:To be honest it's great that You recognize the problem - the solution is just wrong. We should be able to UNDO group grade replacement instead of being warned of doing it. 99% of time we want to replace like whole scene with one grade and tweak it from there. It's the 1% we do it because of a mistake.

I assume they've gotten a phalanx of complaints from people who did this inadvertently. My guess is it would be extremely difficult to undo (since there are levels of undo in each individual clip and node tree), so it'd be very hard to implement it.

Syrzyk wrote:
EDIT: I just found a little bit of inconsistency - You only get warning message if You try to replace grades with timeline clip grade (middle click). If You try to apply grade from memories or gallery - no message. Also no message if you append grade.

That's an interesting distinction. Maybe I'll use that as a workaround: grab a still from the first shot, then apply that still to the entire timeline rather than the thumbnail still on the timeline. I still think a "Yes/No" pref option should be there in the user color setup.
Last edited by Marc Wielage on Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sven H

PostTue Jan 31, 2023 3:44 pm

+1 for making it a pref. I can understand where the new feature is coming from, but I'd turn it off

uskiwisean

PostWed Feb 08, 2023 2:52 pm

Anybody find a way to disable this? Mine has started doing this now, very annoying.
Davinci Resolve
Flanders Monitor
Mini Panel
Threadripper 1950x
Dual 1080tis
64 GB 2999mhz DDR4 Ram

ynahshon

PostFri Feb 10, 2023 8:17 am

+1 I'd like an option to disable it on pref

Marc Wielage

PostFri Feb 10, 2023 9:48 am

Syrzyk wrote:To be honest it's great that You recognize the problem - the solution is just wrong. We should be able to UNDO group grade replacement instead of being warned of doing it. 99% of time we want to replace like whole scene with one grade and tweak it from there. It's the 1% we do it because of a mistake.

There's good technical reasons why they can't allow an undo: if you had (say) 30 nodes per shot, there's potentially 30 different nodes that could be changed when you do a global operation. You can't change 30 nodes (even at one time) and undo it in just one Undo. If I'm not sure when I do a big change like this, I duplicate the timeline, make the change to the duplicate, and if it doesn't work, I go back to the original. But I'm very, very, very careful when I do destructive operations like this.

I think it's kind of acknowledging that inexperienced users have run into this and complained. I'm not saying they should be disregarded, I think it should be a Color Pref decision, and I wouldn't have a problem if the default would be to have the warning ON (as it is now). That way, experienced people can just turn it off once and never worry about it again.

Another inconsistency: if you do a global ripple on just one node, there's no message. And I do this a lot, assuming a Fixed Node Tree project.

JavierPC

PostThu Mar 02, 2023 4:23 pm

+1 please

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostThu Mar 02, 2023 11:05 pm

Marc Wielage wrote:Yeah, I think this should be a pref, "Warn Before Replacing Existing Grades?" I would keep it off -- I'm always very, very, very careful when doing a global operation like that.

Marc, it worked without that warning for more than a decade.... I also would like it off....
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Marc Wielage

PostFri Mar 03, 2023 9:03 am

waltervolpatto wrote:Marc, it worked without that warning for more than a decade.... I also would like it off....

Oh, I think they had no warning for 15 years. My guess is they could counter with, "well, that was then and this is now... we're trying to protect new users from destroying their sessions."

My argument is always, "tell them to read the damn manual and they won't have this problem." But it's harder and harder to get new users to do that.

iddos-l

PostFri Mar 03, 2023 4:20 pm

Lets just all agree to have the option to disable the warning in the preferences.

Hopefully BMD will add it in the future.

tyesamson

PostMon Apr 24, 2023 3:06 am

I finally got a gap to upgrade to .1 and yikes, this change is really painful and actively slowing me down.

+1 for adding an option to turn it off, pretty please!

Marc Wielage

PostMon Apr 24, 2023 9:06 am

tyesamson wrote:I finally got a gap to upgrade to .1 and yikes, this change is really painful and actively slowing me down.

Well, again, grab a Gallery Still, then apply the Gallery Still grade to all the selected clips, and you don't get the warning message. (At least, no warning "yet.")

iddos-l

PostMon Apr 24, 2023 9:12 am

Marc Wielage wrote:
tyesamson wrote:I finally got a gap to upgrade to .1 and yikes, this change is really painful and actively slowing me down.

Well, again, grab a Gallery Still, then apply the Gallery Still grade to all the selected clips, and you don't get the warning message. (At least, no warning "yet.")
Marc, we can also just click ok on the warning message, the point of this request is to keep the option to not have to click or do any other extra steps.
At least to have the option to choose.

tyesamson

PostMon Apr 24, 2023 11:14 pm

iddos-l wrote:
Marc Wielage wrote:

Marc, we can also just click ok on the warning message, the point of this request is to keep the option to not have to click or do any other extra steps.
At least to have the option to choose.

yes, i was just raising my hand to say me too and adding my voice to those requesting to have the option to turn it off :)

grab still->middle click is the exact same amount of work as middle click->confirm. both require one button press and a movement of the mouse. pedantically, in dual-screen mode, you have to move the mouse a shorter distance to dismiss the new confirmation than you do to apply a still from the gallery.

for me, it's more about flow-state/being in the zone. as i'm sure is true with all of you, i develop my own routines and get in a rhythm. it might seem hyperbolic to some, but unnecessary stuff like this can really knock me out of the zone! sometimes i don't even clock the pop-up for a second or two because i'm looking straight ahead at my reference monitor wondering why the next move i'm making isn't working.

one of my regular gigs is a studio-based soap opera where i have 3 days each week to bang out 5x 22-minute episodes and i rely heavily on c-sort and applying grades via the lightbox to turn the show around each week.

for me, this is a really, really painful change.

Marc Wielage

PostTue Apr 25, 2023 4:21 am

iddos-l wrote:Marc, we can also just click ok on the warning message, the point of this request is to keep the option to not have to click or do any other extra steps. At least to have the option to choose.

Not my decision to make -- I'm almost always on the side of the colorist. Anything that makes our job simpler and faster is a good thing.

tyesamson wrote:one of my regular gigs is a studio-based soap opera where i have 3 days each week to bang out 5x 22-minute episodes and i rely heavily on c-sort and applying grades via the lightbox to turn the show around each week.

100% agree -- I've been there/done that. Very tough to work when a pop-up menu is getting in the way. I agree that Lightbox is a good method to quickly bop through identical shots in cases where we know the exposure is exactly the same.

RDeGeest

PostWed Jun 07, 2023 10:28 am

Had to upgrade to 18 for a new project. Still no update as of June 7 for this I suppose...

If BMD happens to read this: add another +1 for a opt-out option in pref for this warning.

Grabbing a still from the gallery actually slows down the flow even more. For now I reckon we just got to deal with this inconvenience :-(
Reinout De Geest CSI

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-Core 3.79 GHz | 64 GB RAM | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 24 GB | 16 TB
Intel Core i7-7740X 4.30 GHz | 16 GB RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 8 GB
Sage Nespresso Creatista Plus

Mark Sterne

PostWed Jun 07, 2023 5:47 pm

+1 for option to disable the warning. It’s annoying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostFri Jun 09, 2023 5:40 pm

this warning is also not coherent:

select 10 clips and copy middle click from another one of the timeline adn you get the warning
select 1000 clips and middle glick from the gallery and voila! It's done with no warning
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

iddos-l

PostSun Jun 11, 2023 8:43 am

Even when applied to clips with no grades at all, the warning persists.

Marc Wielage

PostMon Jun 12, 2023 2:19 am

waltervolpatto wrote:this warning is also not coherent: select 10 clips and copy middle click from another one of the timeline adn you get the warning... select 1000 clips and middle glick from the gallery and voila! It's done with no warning

They'll announce with Resolve 18.5, "thanks to respected colorist Walter Volpatto, for suggesting that we pop up the 'Replace Existing Grades' message for middle-clicking both Timeline thumbnails AND Gallery Stills! Now, they work exactly the same way." :(

RDeGeest

PostMon Jun 12, 2023 12:50 pm

Marc Wielage wrote:
waltervolpatto wrote:this warning is also not coherent: select 10 clips and copy middle click from another one of the timeline adn you get the warning... select 1000 clips and middle glick from the gallery and voila! It's done with no warning

They'll announce with Resolve 18.5, "thanks to respected colorist Walter Volpatto, for suggesting that we pop up the 'Replace Existing Grades' message for middle-clicking both Timeline thumbnails AND Gallery Stills! Now, they work exactly the same way." :(

Oh my oh my... :lol: They made it worse!
Reinout De Geest CSI

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-Core 3.79 GHz | 64 GB RAM | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 24 GB | 16 TB
Intel Core i7-7740X 4.30 GHz | 16 GB RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 8 GB
Sage Nespresso Creatista Plus

ustik86

PostFri Jul 21, 2023 2:03 pm

This is very weird behavior, because this message pop up even for ungraded clips.

Please remove it or make an option to disable this nonsense.

I work in Resolve since 2015 and never needed this. I know what I'm doing.

Return to DaVinci Resolve