Getting Started with free version of DaVinci Resolve

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

GinaGates

Getting Started with free version of DaVinci Resolve

PostFri Jan 13, 2023 4:42 pm

Hello, I just downloaded DaVinci Resolve free version. I'm getting error messages that seem to resolve themselves - like I need a new driver. Maybe I still do but exactly what driver? And where is a safe space to download it?

OK now it's up and it says the 'speed' of YouTube Videos are not the same on the timeline. OK what's supposed to be the 'speed'?

Are there any getting started Overview Videos on what's all on the desktop and how to create your storyboard and what your basic spec set-up?

I dragged a video on the TL and I see the audio and something on the Video but it doesn't play and I see no images.

Is there anybody out there who is willing to talk to human beings because I don't even know if these are the concerns I should start with. Did I miss something? Mon Dieux!

I also don't know where to go to see this type of answer in this forum. I clicked around and I really don't see it. Where is the Getting Started/Overview. My search yielded no results.

Please advise.

Thank you
Gina

Jim Simon

Re: Getting Started with free version of DaVinci Resolve

PostFri Jan 13, 2023 5:09 pm

Start with the Beginner's Guide. (It's fine even if you're on version 18.)

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/produc ... ning#books
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

GinaGates

PostMon Feb 06, 2023 3:58 pm

Intel hardware accelerated decode and encode have
been disabled as the current Intel graphics driver
is not compatible with DaVinci Resolve. Please update
your drivers to enable this feature.

Please review the GPU drivers and GPU
configuration under preferences.

Then a media storage page comes up - what all goes in this where?

Davinci Resolve won't open up.

I have Windows 10.

What's driver? Install from where?

Again, none of your videos address these issues.

That's why I want to talk to somebody so I can 'see' what the problem is.

I must say, in my frustration - I didn't have this problem with Edius, Avid or Final Cut Pro - so I'm not stupid about this. VideoProc isn't having any of these issues. I need definite guidance so I don't hurt my computer over DaVinci Resolve because my other editors are working just fine.

Jim Simon

PostMon Feb 06, 2023 6:43 pm

The forums are all that's available to users of the Free version.

Hardware acceleration isn't available in the Free version. Your certain you didn't install Studio?

Some Intel CPU's also have an on-board GPU. You would get the GPU driver from Intel.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Charles Bennett

PostMon Feb 06, 2023 10:08 pm

A driver is a piece of software that make hardware such as a graphics card (GPU) work with the computer's system. They need to be kept up to date as software changes and gets updated. You should find an up to date driver if you go to the intel.com website.
Resolve relies on the GPU to do picture processing in both the Free and Studio versions which is why it needs an up-to-date driver and have enough memory, either shared or dedicated vRam, to work with video media.

Please do look at the training materials provided by BMD, and as Jim says, particularly the Beginners Guide, otherwise you will probably struggle. Don't worry that they say Resolve 17 and not 18, the principles are the same.
Edius, Avid, and FCP, have their own way of working which is different to Resolve.

If you wish to talk you can PM me and I will try to help.
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 build 20
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (551.86 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

Uli Plank

PostTue Feb 07, 2023 1:20 am

And please tell us a bit more about your hardware. Your computer may not even be able to run Resolve properly if it only has an Intel GPU.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Mario Kalogjera

PostTue Feb 07, 2023 8:24 am

Minimal configuration spec is listed for the free version, I think. It's that no one reads it or it isn't clear enough.
Also, many find the concept of GPU-only processing alien. Most video editors can fallback to CPU processing, Resolve can't i.e. won't.

Sent from my Mi 9T using Tapatalk
Asus Prime X370-Pro+R7 3700X@PBO+32 GB G.Skill AEGIS DDR-4@3200MHz
Sapphire RX6700 10GB
Adata A400 120GB System,A2000 500GB Scratch SSDs
Media storage:"Always in motion is it"
BMD Mini Monitor 4K
Windows 11 Pro+Resolve Studio 18+Fusion Studio 18

Charles Bennett

PostTue Feb 07, 2023 12:38 pm

These are the minimum specs for using the Free version of Resolve. In each case you do not need the Blackmagic Design Desktop Video if you are not using any Blackmagic hardware such as a Decklink card. The 2GB of VRAM shown for the GPU is only just about adequate to get you going with HD material.
Attachments
Minimum Specs for Free Version.jpg
Minimum Specs for Free Version.jpg (114.51 KiB) Viewed 999 times
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 build 20
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (551.86 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

Return to DaVinci Resolve