Hi I need help getting my video to work properly on davinci

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

MilesCoding12

Hi I need help getting my video to work properly on davinci

PostThu Jan 19, 2023 3:57 am

Hello, I just downloaded Davinci Resolve version 18.1.2 build 6. Since then, I have scoured the internet looking for solutions. I have updated my drivers. I have updated project settings. I have restarted my computer 13 times and created six new projects. My issue is that when I import my screen record with audio mp4 file into daVinci it is blank.

When I try to hit play to demo my video it won't even play. I have got the audio to play when I go to Fair light. When I go to the timeline, and I drag the mp4 in from my media it shows the audio, but the video is just a blank blue bar. I cannot play or preview the timeline either. I have searched so many forums from all over including the Blackmagic forum. I even checked one very similar to this one where the dude just needed to switch his gpu processing mode from OpenCL to auto.

I prayed that this was my issue too. It was not. I have consumed hours of YouTube videos ranging in qualities and languages. I have gone through windows graphics to set resolve to high instead of windows decides. I cannot find anything that will help me.

My last project is titled Please Jesus help me. I have done my best to provide a surplus of information but let me know if you need any more.

For the .NFO file it’s too big to attach and the forum restricts me from sending a url so if this is required please let me know how I would do it. Thanks.
Attachments
DaVinci resolve help3.png
When I drag the video in form my media into edit it is blank
DaVinci resolve help3.png (113.5 KiB) Viewed 2007 times
DaVinci resolve help2.png
Video won't play in any window
DaVinci resolve help2.png (96.25 KiB) Viewed 2007 times
DaVinci resolve help1.png
video is blank
DaVinci resolve help1.png (98.6 KiB) Viewed 2007 times

Leslie Wand

Re: Hi I need help getting my video to work properly on davi

PostThu Jan 19, 2023 5:51 am

you really need to start out by:

a. giving your system details in full

b. defining what media you're working with.
www.lesliewand.com.au
amd5 5800x / 32gb ram / rtx 3050 8gb / win 10 pro
sony ex3, sony a6400

Dave Shortman

PostThu Jan 19, 2023 8:45 am

It is likely to be an unsupported video codec but we would need more info to be sure.
You can use a program like MediaInfo to get the relevant information on the video file.

Also are you using the free or paid version of Resolve.

Charles Bennett

PostThu Jan 19, 2023 9:06 am

As Dave says, this is most likely an unsupported codec. For instance if you are using the free version of Resolve on Windows you will not be able to display 10bit video files. Getting help on the forum is all about giving as much information as possible about your system and the type and source of video you are using.

For hardware problems, which this doesn't appear to be, this is how you post logs.
Attachments
Log and NFO Information.JPG
Log and NFO Information.JPG (46.64 KiB) Viewed 1953 times
Resolve Studio 18.6.6 build 7
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (546.01 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

MilesCoding12

PostSun Jan 22, 2023 12:20 am

Ok yeah, I have a lot more info I just wanted to get this topic approved. Hope the system info .NFO zip works. I could not get the logs to work for DaVinci. Maybe I can fix it later if it's something that is needed but I haven't really messed with the settings other than to put gpu processing mode to auto instead of OpenCL and to put playback quality down to see if it was because my computer was too slow. I just attached a .drp file because the log just kept crashing. Hope this helps. Let me know if you need more information. Thanks.
Attachments
please jesus help me zip.zip
This is the project of doom with "zip.zip" because I'm great at this.
(17.28 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
This my cpu info.zip
cpu info
(182.62 KiB) Downloaded 20 times
video type picture.png
video type
video type picture.png (58.69 KiB) Viewed 1847 times

MilesCoding12

PostThu Feb 02, 2023 12:02 am

So, is this forum just dead then? Should I start a new one where I give more info with the first post? Or did I stump you? I know it's only been like a week, but I really want to get started with my project.

Look how weird, in the image below it shows info about my video, but it still doesn't load. I have tried changing the codec to a different supported codec even though it should have worked originally but it didn't help. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling DaVinci, no luck there either. I don't think my footage is corrupted because it plays in the windows media player, but I'll just try recording again to see if I can get that to work. Please if you have any solutions/ ideas let me know.
Attachments
It shows info about the video but it won't play.png
:the image below
It shows info about the video but it won't play.png (38.71 KiB) Viewed 1811 times

MilesCoding12

PostThu Feb 02, 2023 12:48 am

Update recording a new video did not work. The issue is not because the video is corrupted. I even double and triple checked my obs settings as well as my project settings in DaVinci resolve. Also it's the free version if that helps. The newest update of it too.

Also sorry it takes me so long to post, since I am new to the forums everything I post has to be approved by moderators. I understand why but it is definitely a little hindering. Please somebody help me, thanks!

Jim Simon

PostFri Feb 03, 2023 4:36 pm

For screen capture you intend to edit, hardware records are best.

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/produc ... ideoassist
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Mads Johansen

PostFri Feb 03, 2023 4:49 pm

Or OBS studio (https://obsproject.com/)
Davinci Resolve Studio 18.6.6 Build 7, Windows 11, Nvidia 3060 TI, 551.86 Studio

Uli Plank

PostSat Feb 04, 2023 3:56 am

Post a short sample to a cloud service and folks can have a look at it.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Joe Shapiro

PostSat Feb 04, 2023 4:17 am

For the moment - and to get you going - try downloading the free Shutter Encoder and using it to transcode your video to an Editing Codec like DNxHR or ProRes. If that works you know it's your video that's the problem - and you can edit using the transcoded version. If that doesn't help then we can explore different avenues.
Director, Editor, Problem Solver. Been cutting indie features for 23 years. FCP editor from version 2 to 7.
Resolve 18.6.3
MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max 64GB RAM, macOS 14.1
MacBook Air 13" M1 8GB RAM, macOS 14.1

Leslie Wand

PostSat Feb 04, 2023 6:01 am

+1 Joe's advice above. when in doubt, transcode to a resolve friendly codec.

you're not helping your case by not giving the various pieces of information required to help you out more directly.
www.lesliewand.com.au
amd5 5800x / 32gb ram / rtx 3050 8gb / win 10 pro
sony ex3, sony a6400

Marc Wielage

PostSun Feb 05, 2023 1:47 am

MilesCoding12 wrote:Hello, I just downloaded Davinci Resolve version 18.1.2 build 6. Since then, I have scoured the internet looking for solutions. I have updated my drivers. I have updated project settings. I have restarted my computer 13 times and created six new projects. My issue is that when I import my screen record with audio mp4 file into daVinci it is blank.

Is this Resolve Studio or the free version? If it's the latter, be aware that there are many codecs that only work in Resolve Studio.

Typically, "Screen Record" programs record highly-compressed video that strains system resources. If you converted it to a simpler codec, like DNxHR SQ (at a constant framerate), you'd probably be better off.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

MilesCoding12

PostWed Feb 08, 2023 3:36 am

Uli Plank wrote:Post a short sample to a cloud service and folks can have a look at it.

Hello, I am very sorry but I am not entirely sure what you mean by this. Do you mean rendering the project? Or a sample of the recording video file? Or something else?

Joe Shapiro wrote:For the moment - and to get you going - try downloading the free Shutter Encoder and using it to transcode your video to an Editing Codec like DNxHR or ProRes. If that works you know it's your video that's the problem - and you can edit using the transcoded version. If that doesn't help then we can explore different avenues.

I also ended up trying this but I had the same problem.

MilesCoding12

PostWed Feb 08, 2023 3:41 am

Marc Wielage wrote:Is this Resolve Studio or the free version? If it's the latter, be aware that there are many codecs that only work in Resolve Studio.

Typically, "Screen Record" programs record highly-compressed video that strains system resources. If you converted it to a simpler codec, like DNxHR SQ (at a constant framerate), you'd probably be better off.

Hi, thanks, I tried using shutter encoder to change it to DNxHR and it did not work. I am using the free version and I just updated it to version 18.1.3 today. I also tried just changing it again with HandBrake just to see but it didn't work. I also tried taking the DNxHR file from shutter and plugging it into HandBrake to change it to constant framerate. That did not work either.

Uli Plank

PostWed Feb 08, 2023 3:48 am

MilesCoding12 wrote:
Uli Plank wrote:Post a short sample to a cloud service and folks can have a look at it.

Hello, I am very sorry but I am not entirely sure what you mean by this. Do you mean rendering the project? Or a sample of the recording video file? Or something else?

Find a short clip among your sources, upload it to a service like DropBox, Google Drive (but don't make it private!) or whatever you like and post the URL here with a space somewhere in it.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Joe Shapiro

PostWed Feb 08, 2023 4:12 am

If an output from shutter encoder didn't work then it's probably not the media but something else. Someone want to give him a link to a clean piece of media to try?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Director, Editor, Problem Solver. Been cutting indie features for 23 years. FCP editor from version 2 to 7.
Resolve 18.6.3
MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max 64GB RAM, macOS 14.1
MacBook Air 13" M1 8GB RAM, macOS 14.1

Charles Bennett

PostWed Feb 08, 2023 9:01 am

Miles, here is a sample MP4 file on Dropbox to try. It is 8bit h264 50fps.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ebi5m75n84ikr5k/0020.MP4?dl=0
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (546.01 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

MilesCoding12

PostWed Feb 08, 2023 9:32 pm

Charles Bennett wrote:Miles, here is a sample MP4 file on Dropbox to try. It is 8bit h264 50fps.

Thanks for the clean video. I am still having the same issue.

Uli Plank wrote:
Find a short clip among your sources, upload it to a service like DropBox, Google Drive (but don't make it private!) or whatever you like and post the URL here with a space somewhere in it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f8c0woiuodxgh ... 4.mp4?dl=0

Here is a sample video, all my videos are pretty long so I just made a short one with roughly the same settings, and the same game. It is an MP4, the only difference is that in my other videos there is a lower bitrate while this one is 4,500 KBPS. Also I did test this video out in DaVinci just to make sure and of course, same issue occured.

Charles Bennett

PostWed Feb 08, 2023 10:01 pm

Miles, your video is playing fine here with both picture and audio.
Attachments
Sample MP4.jpg
Sample MP4.jpg (286.23 KiB) Viewed 1154 times

Charles Bennett

PostWed Feb 08, 2023 10:14 pm

Miles, are you using a laptop, or a desktop with a discrete GPU such as an AMD or Nvidia card? If the latter make sure your monitor is plugged into the discrete GPU and not the onboard graphics socket.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Feb 08, 2023 10:40 pm

We need a Resolve diagnostics log file. From the Resolve Help menu, select "Create Diagnostics Log on Desktop" and then put that log file on a file sharing site, and provide a link to the file.

Make sure the link is an open link and does not require access credentials.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

MilesCoding12

PostThu Feb 09, 2023 1:15 am

Dwaine Maggart wrote:We need a Resolve diagnostics log file. From the Resolve Help menu, select "Create Diagnostics Log on Desktop" and then put that log file on a file sharing site, and provide a link to the file.

Make sure the link is an open link and does not require access credentials.

Here's that link for you: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2lge7x5t4u6ubqs/DaVinci-Resolve-logs-20230208-175939.zip?dl=0

Charles Bennett wrote:Miles, are you using a laptop, or a desktop with a discrete GPU such as an AMD or Nvidia card? If the latter make sure your monitor is plugged into the discrete GPU and not the onboard graphics socket.

I am using a desktop with an AMD Radeon RX 600 8GB GDDR6. My monitor is plugged directly into this graphics card. I am pretty sure that the one I have my monitor plugged into is the discrete gpu as it is a separate part from the cpu. The specific build I am using is the PoweSpec G230 Gaming PC.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Feb 09, 2023 6:54 am

Open Windows Device Manager and select the Display Adapters section.

Right click the Easy&Light Display HUB Virtual Display and select Disable Device.

Now does the video work?

If not, send an updated Resolve log and .NFO file.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

MilesCoding12

PostFri Feb 10, 2023 4:30 am

Dwaine Maggart wrote:Open Windows Device Manager and select the Display Adapters section.

Right click the Easy&Light Display HUB Virtual Display and select Disable Device.

Now does the video work?

If not, send an updated Resolve log and .NFO file.

THIS WORKED!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH! I don't know who you are Mr.Maggart but I have seen you resolve so many problems all throughout these forums. I am so thankful for your existence! Thank you!

Uli Plank

PostFri Feb 10, 2023 5:53 am

The helpful guys whose names are in blue are from BM, Miles.

Marc Wielage

PostFri Feb 10, 2023 6:43 am

MilesCoding12 wrote:THIS WORKED!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH! I don't know who you are Mr.Maggart but I have seen you resolve so many problems all throughout these forums. I am so thankful for your existence! Thank you!

Dwaine is a saint, and also a miracle worker about 99% of the time.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Return to DaVinci Resolve