Persisting GPU Memory Full Issue

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

MilesBelvin

Persisting GPU Memory Full Issue

PostFri Jan 20, 2023 9:01 pm

Hello, I'm brand new to Resolve but I have been editing videos in Premiere Pro for about eight years and decided to try switching. On Monday I installed the latest version and upon importing a clip I was immediately met with a "GPU Memory Full" error message and no images displaying in the timeline or preview window. I tried clearing all cache and switching my graphics settings in the preferences menu but there were still issues.

Over the past several days I've uninstalled and reinstalled drivers, read through countless posts on solutions, done BIOS updates, tried other configurations of my hardware, and reinstalled Resolve several times. However, I still can't get this issue to go away. In my task manager, both of my GPUs have tons of memory and are hardly being used, so I'm guessing Resolve just isn't connecting or detecting them (even though they show up in preferences).

Here are all of my system specs and a link to the latest crash log from Resolve:
Windows 10 PC, Intel i7-87005 CPU 3.70GHz with 6 cores, ASRock Z370M Pro4 Motherboard, 32GB of DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti Video Card,
https://drive.google.com/file/d/116luuB ... share_link

I really hope there's something obvious I'm not seeing here or an easy solution. Please let me know what I should do or try next.

Jim Simon

Re: Persisting GPU Memory Full Issue

PostSun Jan 22, 2023 4:46 pm

I do believe there is a memory leak with Resolve and nVidia GPU's. I believe this because we have several reports over the years of the exact same project which triggers the Out Of Memory error on nVidia working perfectly fine on an AMD GPU with less VRAM.

I've also personally observed VRAM staying full when it shouldn't. Only closing Resolve would empty it.

Unfortunately, I've never seen any acknowledgment from BMD on the bug.

So...the 4GB VRAM of your 1050 could very well be the issue here. A new GPU should be on your Shopping list. I recommend at least 12 GB of VRAM. An RTX 3000 or 400 series should work pretty well.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

RCModelReviews

PostSun Jan 22, 2023 5:06 pm

As Jim says, the 4GB of VRAM on your GPU is simply not enough for anything but the simplest of projects.

Resolve makes extensive use of the GPU and, as an example, I regularly see as much as 10GB being used on my UHD projects -- and that's with version 15 of the software which is apparently much less demanding.

I'd upgrade your GPU. The RTX3060 12GB card is a pretty good and affordable option if your needs aren't to great and would be a huge improvement over your 1050.
Resolve 18.1 Studio, Fusion 9 Studio
CPU: i7 8700, OS: Windows 10 32GB RAM, GPU: RTX3060
I'm refugee from Sony Vegas slicing video for my YouTube channels.

Andy Mees

PostSun Jan 22, 2023 5:07 pm

A lot of 'OpenCL' error messages in your log.... given your GTX 1050 Ti, check (in Preferences) that your GPU processing mode is set to 'CUDA'.

MilesBelvin

PostMon Jan 23, 2023 5:22 am

Thanks for all the replies! Looks like I'll be getting a new graphics card soon.

maxen13126

PostFri Jan 27, 2023 12:34 pm

Got the same error today on a brand now RTX4080. Previously used 3xRTX2080 with older driver and never experienced any issues regarding GPU memory. Unfortunately the 4080 doesn't run with the older driver (so say the admins). So Im stuck with the problem.
It's a bad bug on nVidias side for over a year now and everybody knows about it, but they don't do anything. :|

Jim Simon

PostFri Jan 27, 2023 3:28 pm

I only experience VRAM memory issues with Resolve, so I don't know if it's an nVidia bug or a Resolve bug.

I would hope the two companies could work together to handle it, though I've never even seen any acknowledgement that there is a bug.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Alexrocks1253

PostWed Mar 27, 2024 6:34 pm

Jim Simon wrote:I only experience VRAM memory issues with Resolve, so I don't know if it's an nVidia bug or a Resolve bug.

I would hope the two companies could work together to handle it, though I've never even seen any acknowledgement that there is a bug.

Yeah it's interesting. It is one of the main reasons that I have switched to only Mac. Can't have a project's progress suddenly halt due to being out of memory even with render cache and lower proxy resolutions. I wish that Resolve would overflow memory into system RAM when it runs out of VRAM. That could solve the issue at the cost of some slower RAM if memory does get full. (This is similar to swap when normal system RAM gets full).
What will you create today?

Uli Plank

PostWed Mar 27, 2024 10:11 pm

I don't think that'll work, Apple is handling the issue with fully integrated RAM between CPU and GPU cores on a single chip. Maybe Snapdragon is going to establish the same approach for Windows.
I have yet to see a "memory full" on a M* Mac. Yes, it'll massively slow down when it starts swapping to SSD (and ruin it in the long run), but it doesn't stop because of that.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Alexrocks1253

PostWed Mar 27, 2024 10:15 pm

Uli Plank wrote:I don't think that'll work, Apple is handling the issue with fully integrated RAM between CPU and GPU cores on a single chip. Maybe Snapdragon is going to establish the same approach for Windows.
I have yet to see a "memory full" on a M* Mac. Yes, it'll massively slow down when it starts swapping to SSD (and ruin it in the long run), but it doesn't stop because of that.

Yeah if PC chip manufacturers try and make an x64 answer to the M# chips, then that would be huge. Even wilder would be the duopoly of Intel/AMD being broken if ARM for Windows becomes mainstream and higher compatibility, like with Apple. It would lead to the eventual decrease for a need for dedicated graphics cards, since those cards are becoming power hungry enough to nearly hit the US wattage limit for 120v.
What will you create today?

Uli Plank

PostWed Mar 27, 2024 10:34 pm

It's already on the way, look for the recent presentations by Qualcomm. Hard times ahead for Intel.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Return to DaVinci Resolve