Automatically split the clip at chapter markers

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

mbloh1311

Automatically split the clip at chapter markers

PostSun Jan 22, 2023 11:38 pm

Is there a shortcut to automatically split a clip with various timeline markers at the respective marker positions simultaneously. These are chapter markers.

The clip is approx. 50 minutes long, has approx. 30 timeline markers and is to be separated into individual clips at precisely these marker positions.

It would be great if you could do it all in one fell swoop.
Greetings Martin

NLE: Davinci Resolve Studio 18.5.1 | Final Cut Pro X 10.6.5
Display: Apple Studio Display 27 Zoll
Apple Mac Studio M2 Ultra, 128 GB RAM
Presonus StudioLive 32 SX Mixer
macOS Ventura 13.5.1
Windows 11 unter Parallels 18
Stand: Aug.2023

Jim Simon

Re: Automatically split the clip at chapter markers

PostMon Jan 23, 2023 4:27 pm

I don't know of any automatic method, but using shortcuts the process would take maybe 30 seconds.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

mbloh1311

PostMon Jan 23, 2023 11:29 pm

You can't say that in general terms. With a 60-minute clip that consists of about 40 chapter markers, you won't be able to split the clip at all points in 30 seconds even with shortcuts. What would speak against such a shortcut that automatically separates a clip s.his timeline markers. I think there are now shortcuts for much less frequently used applications. But in the end, as always, it is a question of personal workflow and the frequency of a task as to whether such automatisms make sense.
Greetings Martin

macOS Ventura 13.5.1

Steve Alexander

PostTue Jan 24, 2023 3:07 pm

I did 52 cuts over 52 markers in 1 minute and 30 seconds and I wasn't rushing - just using the next-marker shortcut followed by split clip shortcut. So it's not instant but it is pretty fast. Does it matter to your request? Not really. Put this as a feature request in the feature request forum. Maybe it will get some traction?
Time Traveller
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 | Fusion Studio 19.0b1 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4

Peter Cave

PostTue Jan 24, 2023 10:35 pm

Adding the cuts when the markers are placed in the timeline would make this unnecessary.
You can split a clip using an EDL file so if you can convert the markers to an EDL that would do what you are requesting.
Resolve 18.6.6 Mac OSX 14.4.1 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

mbloh1311

PostWed Jan 25, 2023 12:14 am

That sounds interesting. Can you give me more Information about this workflow?
Greetings Martin

macOS Ventura 13.5.1

Peter Cave

PostWed Jan 25, 2023 2:15 am

If you can explain what you are trying to achieve plus your current workflow in detail, I may be able to help.
Mac Studio Max 32GB

mbloh1311

PostWed Jan 25, 2023 1:36 pm

What I'm trying to achieve is actually in my first post. You indicated that this can be achieved with an EDL export. I am not familiar with EDLs until now. So I can't do much with your reference to it. I was hoping you could explain to me how the EDLs work. I still want a clip that is about 70 minutes long and has numerous timeline markers, i.e. chapter markers, to be split into individual clips in one fell swoop. So at the points where the chapter markers sit.

So far I've done this with different shortcuts, marker by marker. I set the markers with the "M" key. Then I have the clip selected and use Shift+Down arrow to jump from chapter marker to chapter marker. Then I press Command+B.

Of course, if I'm absolutely sure right from the start that my markers are positioned exactly right, I could hit Command+B right away. But that is rarely the case. That's why I first distribute the chapter markers and then I would like to split the large clip into many small ones at this marker position with a single shortcut.

I can't describe it more precisely. I hope it becomes clear what I mean.

So how can you do that with EDLs?
Greetings Martin

macOS Ventura 13.5.1

Andy Mees

PostWed Jan 25, 2023 2:33 pm

Peter might be referring to Resolve's Timelines > Export > Timeline Markers to EDL... function, which might produce something that could be manipulated for use with the Timelines > Import> Pre-confromed EDL... function. Am not sure it would work without any intermediate processing but it could be worth investigating.

Sander de Regt

PostWed Jan 25, 2023 2:58 pm

There is a new script for Resolve that makes a new edit from markers on the timeline i.e you can mark 10 moments and then the script will make 10 new clips that are either stills from the marker or clips with a user selectable length that use the marker as an in-point.

The mechanism of cycling through the markers and then applying an action to it, sounds very similar to what you're trying to achieve. So check it out. Either you can adapt it yourself or you can put in your request to the author of the script and maybe they'll be able to help you out.

https://www.steakunderwater.com/wesuckl ... 362#p43362

This one also comes close, but doesn't use markers. So combining functionality of both, might do the trick.

https://www.steakunderwater.com/wesuckl ... 297#p43297
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

mbloh1311

PostWed Jan 25, 2023 3:51 pm

I already knew this script. I found it in the German DaVinci forum. I also watched the accompanying video. Unfortunately, the script does not deliver the scenario I want and is better suited for other purposes.

I have already asked the script programmer if he could develop a script that suits my needs. But that doesn't seem to be the case in DR.

Quote:"The library for the Davinci Resolve programming is very crippled in relation to the Fusion programming. Unfortunately, simple functions such as cut cannot be controlled there."

If there were something like macro programming in DR, in which you could combine individual shortcuts that already exist or that you have created yourself in a macro, then that would certainly be a significant relief.
Greetings Martin

macOS Ventura 13.5.1

Andy Mees

PostWed Jan 25, 2023 4:04 pm

mbloh1311 wrote:If there were something like macro programming in DR, in which you could combine individual shortcuts that already exist or that you have created yourself in a macro, then that would certainly be a significant relief
If you're willing to use macros, it seems like it would be quite easy to use something like AutoHotKey (Windows) or Keyboard Maestro (Mac) to automate this. I've not personally used Keyboard Maestro, but if its anything like AutoHotKey it should be pretty straightforward to set something up ... for extra points you could probably integrate it as a Workflow Integration plugin.

Completely agree that built in support for macros would be a powerful addition to the software... back in the day it was a basic function of linear edit systems.

Peter Cave

PostWed Jan 25, 2023 10:26 pm

Is there a reason you don't split the clip at your first step rather than adding markers? You could do both at the same time too.

You say that the markers may not be set accurately, but that would require checking each marker before an automated process, so why not cut the clip when checking that the marker is set at the correct position.

I'm confused by your choice of workflow as it seems unnecessary, which is why I asked for detailed info.

Explaining EDL's is too complex for a forum post. EDL's are the original tape based Edit Decision List for moving projects from tape suite to tape suite. It's a big topic on it's own!
Mac Studio Max 32GB

mbloh1311

PostThu Jan 26, 2023 3:42 pm

There is at least one shortcut for almost every menu function. And if there isn't one, you can create it yourself in the Keyboard Customizations.

I don't need most of them, because my workflow or tasks don't require them.
All of these shortcuts should ultimately help to speed up processes within the workflow.

The question of why you don't do this the same way, or that differently, is not effective in my case. Since my wish for DaVincvi, or rather BM, is not just about providing a shortcut for a command that can also be executed via the menu, but goes one step further, being able to run a batch operation, this function stands out from the already implemented.

But I just want to give an example why the feature I'm looking for could be useful.
For example, if I want to add markers to a music track during playback, i.e. "on the fly" and then split the track into individual sections, it would be a great deal easier if this could be done with a command at the end of the marker input.
According to your suggestion, I would have to stop playback every time in order to split the track at this point with command+B. I'm not talking about the often used markers when you want to cut to the beat, but when there are other reasons for the markers within a piece of music.

Of course you can also press command+B during playback, but this is often too imprecise. Hence the desire to first position the chapter markers precisely, to label them, and finally, when you are sure that everything is where you would like it to be, to give a single cut command for all marker positions. So this is more like batch processing.
And you can't do both at the same time, as you wrote. You always have to use two different shortcuts. One for the marker and one for the cut.

After all, BM tries to meet the needs of as many users as possible by enabling the implementation of different functions in different ways. In principle, I can ask myself the question for all functions, why don't you do it one way or another. Many ways lead to the goal. I would like to doubt whether my desired function is so much more exotic than that of other users. It may not seem particularly important to most people at first. But, like so many other functions that lead a marginal existence, it would be there first. And who knows whether there would not be a larger number of users who would like this function and want to use it.

The script mentioned above by Sander de Regt is certainly not an application that is needed all the time. Nevertheless, it has a certain justification.

However, if it is currently not possible to implement the scenario I am pursuing with on-board resources, but there should be external apps or tools that allow macro programming that can then be executed within DaVinci, that would be just as fine with me.
According to my research so far, an EDL will not help me to achieve my goal. I don't want to export my markers in an EDL list to apply to a different clip in a different timeline.

And unfortunately I'm not familiar with Python, so I might be able to program a script by myself, if that could be implemented at all in the absence of the necessary access points within the DaVinci program code.
Greetings Martin

macOS Ventura 13.5.1

Jim Simon

PostThu Jan 26, 2023 3:51 pm

If you're going to take the time to position the Marker precisely, why add that extra step? Why not just make the cut and be done with it?
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

mbloh1311

PostFri Jan 27, 2023 4:23 pm

My initial question was whether DR has the option, after setting numerous chapter markers, to split the underlying clip exactly at these points. That doesn't seem to be the case at the moment, which I have already understood and accepted.

I also think I have made it clear that there are good reasons for the functionality I want from my point of view.
So I don't understand why you want to make it clear to me in the first place that this wish is unnecessary and that I should adapt my way of working to DR and separate the clip right there and then after setting the marker.

Yes. Naturally. In fact, that may be the best method in most cases.

The DR software provides the user with thousands of video editing options, including less frequently used features for making the cut.

The cut-page, for example, is viewed by many as absolutely superfluous and almost avoided.

On the Fairlight Page, which I personally appreciate as a long-time FCPX user, you can make mixes with fader automation. Most of them won't even know about this feature or even if they do, they won't use it because the edit page already offers a sufficient editing platform for 95% of editing projects.

My small wish for a quick clip separation at marker positions is to be programmed on the side.

After all, I have now found a solution that speeds up my workflow extremely. The reference to Keyboard Maestro by Andy Mees was key to its success. Using a shortcut I programmed myself, I managed to split a clip with 50 chapter markers into 50 individual clips in just 5 seconds. That's not exactly the solution I was looking for at first. But it saves so much time and, above all, can be individually expanded. Thanks again to Andy for this very helpful tip.
Greetings Martin

macOS Ventura 13.5.1

Jim Simon

PostFri Jan 27, 2023 4:28 pm

mbloh1311 wrote:I don't understand why you want to make it clear to me in the first place that this wish is unnecessary
It seems like you're adding unnecessary steps to the work flow, and want BMD to spend development resources to accommodate that.

Seems like the better 'solution' here is for you to eliminate the unnecessary steps.

That said, you've got the FR going. Users will vote, BMD will decide. ;)
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

mbloh1311

PostFri Jan 27, 2023 8:45 pm

Why start another FR after I've already found a way to speed up the workflow myself. The reactions here so far have shown that, apart from me, nobody would have thought of splitting a clip at marker positions afterwards.
Greetings Martin

macOS Ventura 13.5.1

Return to DaVinci Resolve