Databases went missing...Again....project lost

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

gramsay

Databases went missing...Again....project lost

PostWed Jan 25, 2023 5:40 pm

Im working on 2 different sports videos. All media, databases and projects are on my external hard drive. Moved my hard drive from my desktop to my lap top and yet again databases went missing.

I was able to restore the database and project from one client but have only been able to restore the database and an older project file for the second client. Which will result in hours of recreating the edit.

Im attaching a screen shot of where i think the backups are for this database....how am i supposed to tell which project i need to restore?? this is how black magic labels backup projects?
Screen Shot 2023-01-25 at 12.31.01 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-01-25 at 12.31.01 PM.png (375.21 KiB) Viewed 6414 times

I can gather they are listed by date and time but when i try to restore the project file i get this

Screen Shot 2023-01-25 at 12.16.42 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-01-25 at 12.16.42 PM.png (109.52 KiB) Viewed 6414 times

I cant express how im ready just to eat the cost of resolve and go back to premiere. You absolutely CANNOT sell an NLE where hours of work can be lost consistently. The database system is nothing short of a total failure. I don't think BM realizes how bad this. This is the 2nd time in the last 6 months Ive lost projects moving my external drive. Ive spent 2 hours, restoring DB's, & relinking all media to the exact same pathways that they are already linked to, because the media is coming up as offline. This loss of work is unique only to resolve, it doesn't happen with premiere, avid or Final cut.

Further more what is the point of a database?? And from the FAQ posted here in the forum...

Backing up the database / Backing up all your projects
We recommend creating regular backups of your database within Resolve, as well as before any change of upgrade to your system. As long as you have your database file, and the source media, you can always recreate all of your work using the same version of DaVinci Resolve.

Respectfully this is incorrect. I've attached a screen shot of my project backups that shows how difficult it is to recreate my work. This is a nice little NLE, but this loss of projects, databases and work is a catastrophic deal breaker for professional use.

anyway, ive checked some youtube videos and it looks like restoring this project is hopeless, any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. TIA

John Paines

Re: Databases went missing...Again....project lost

PostWed Jan 25, 2023 5:53 pm

When you say "missing", what exactly do you mean? The databases are not present on the drive you move from one computer to another? Or they're simply disconnected? I don't mean to be insulting, but do you know how to look for them, using the OS?

And what kind of database backups are you making or performing?

It's hard to believe you've lost everything, based on what you've described. But there's not enough information to sort it out....

In your screenshoot, the files with the word "project" in them can be restored. If not with the "restore" function, then manually. I don't want to offer instructions, unsolicited, in case there's an easier way to do it (such as locating and reconnecting the databases in one simple operation).
Last edited by John Paines on Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Steve Alexander

PostWed Jan 25, 2023 5:58 pm

I'm wondering why your database (library) is going missing. That seems to be the starting point for diagnostics. I ask this because I'm not sure how Resolve knows that the database exists when you move the database drive from one Resolve instance (machine) to another. Do you 'restore' the database (library) to the second machine and that makes it visible? I'm honestly asking because I've never put a database on a removable drive. When moving projects between machines I use a project export (drp) and assuming the media can be seen from the other machine by the same drive/folder mapping, I just restore the project on that other machine. It's a bit of a hassle and I guess the cloud approach would be easier, but... I guess this is something I should try to figure out for future reference.

Add - what John said.
Time Traveller
Resolve Studio 18.6.5 | Fusion Studio 18.6.5 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.3.1

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostWed Jan 25, 2023 6:00 pm

"restoring" a project backup, if I remember correctly, you should right click on a blank project window and you should access the "other proprojects backups"......
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Steve Alexander

PostWed Jan 25, 2023 6:09 pm

waltervolpatto wrote:"restoring" a project backup, if I remember correctly, you should right click on a blank project window and you should access the "other proprojects backups"......

Awesome suggestion, Walter. I had no idea that you could access the backup projects from any database (library). Nice one!
Time Traveller
Resolve Studio 18.6.5 | Fusion Studio 18.6.5 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.3.1

John Paines

PostWed Jan 25, 2023 6:14 pm

Okay, on closer examination of your screenshot, you've got

Resolve Disk Database
Resolve Disk Database2

These are your two (and your two) databases? One is connected but you can't connect the other one, using the database manager?
Last edited by John Paines on Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gramsay

PostWed Jan 25, 2023 6:15 pm

Hey Jon, your not being insulting, these are good questions.

When you say "missing", what exactly do you mean? The databases are not present on the drive you move from one computer to another? Or they're simply disconnected? I don't mean to be insulting, but do you know how to look for them, using the OS?

Based on advice i received on these forums previously I created a root directory folder on my hard drive for databases. Its what allowed me to restore them when the databases went missing. here you can see all the databases that i currently work on.
Screen Shot 2023-01-25 at 1.02.07 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-01-25 at 1.02.07 PM.png (174.25 KiB) Viewed 6357 times

Steve Alexander wrote:I'm wondering why your database (library) is going missing. That seems to be the starting point for diagnostics. I ask this because I'm not sure how Resolve knows that the database exists when you move the database drive from one Resolve instance (machine) to another. Do you 'restore' the database (library) to the second machine and that makes it visible? I'm honestly asking because I've never put a database on a removable drive. When moving projects between machines I use a project export (drp) and assuming the media can be seen from the other machine by the same drive/folder mapping, I just restore the project on that other machine. It's a bit of a hassle and I guess the cloud approach would be easier, but... I guess this is something I should try to figure out for future reference.

Add - what John said.

Maybe this is the root of the problem? Perhaps Resolve isn't built to move projects between multiple devices like other NLE's? But I would love to have a better understanding as to why databases go missing when moving from one device to another. heres a screenshot of my databases on the hard drive, you can see the duplicates as ive had to rename them in order for the DB's to be restored

Screen Shot 2023-01-25 at 1.11.34 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-01-25 at 1.11.34 PM.png (221.88 KiB) Viewed 6357 times

But to answer part of your question. When i create a new database/project on one device, i tend to have to restore it on the other. After that it seems to be pretty transferable with no issues....until recently

waltervolpatto wrote:"restoring" a project backup, if I remember correctly, you should right click on a blank project window and you should access the "other proprojects backups"......

yup tired this. See screen shot in OP with resolve error message. The problem is that there is no way to tell if that project folder corresponds to the database since its only named by date.

John Paines wrote:Okay, on closer examination of your screenshot, you've got

Resolve Disk Database
Resolve Disk Database2

These are you two (and your two) databases? One is connected but you can't connect the other one, using the database manager?

Yes, this is the organizational mess that is created when having to restore databases.

To restate, ive restored the databases. However the project in one of the databases is days old and it appears that there will be no way to restore it from archive. So its' the current version of the project that didnt come through when the database was restored.

For future use, making sure the project backup is located in that specific clients work folder would be useful. But my point being this is not typical user action in other NLE's
Last edited by gramsay on Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John Paines

PostWed Jan 25, 2023 6:18 pm

Based on your second screen shot, I'm *really* confused. What are the names of the databases you've lost? Are they presently on the disk, but not connected in Resolve, or are they missing from the disk?

As a last resort, you can manually restore all files with the project.db xxxxxxxxxx file names (the xxxxx is date/time stamp). But I think you can probably avoid that trouble.

EDIT: I read your update. If you're moving the disk from one computer to another, you're effectively moving the databases from one computer to another. You should not be "restoring" them. You should be "reconnecting" them. Or maybe this is just a confusion of terms. What exactly are you doing?

gramsay

PostWed Jan 25, 2023 6:32 pm

Are they presently on the disk, but not connected in Resolve, or are they missing from the disk?

Everything is located on the external hard drive. Databases did not connect upon moving hard drive to my lap top so I "Restored" the databases as a recovery attempt. One DB restored properly with everything intact, but i had to import the project from archive to get my latest edit

the other Database restored with everything but an older project file, which i have not been able to restore from my project archive folder.

If you're moving the disk from one computer to another, you're effectively moving the databases from one computer to another. You should not be "restoring" them. You should be "reconnecting" them. Or maybe this is just a confusion of terms. What exactly are you doing?

so specifically 2 sprayberry databases go missing and give me nothing when trying to open them.
Screen Shot 2023-01-25 at 1.26.22 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-01-25 at 1.26.22 PM.png (461.11 KiB) Viewed 6327 times

So when Restoring a database you have to give it a new name. So its like a new database but in theory will have your old project and media.

Im not looking to delete the old database, just in case for some reason I need it it. I know that sounds dumb when there is nothing there. But I thought there might be a possibility that I could use it to trace back to the project that used to be there. I don't like to delete anything unless i know its trash.

I dont see anything about "reconnecting a database". The only options I see in the project manager is to "Restore"

Steve Alexander

PostWed Jan 25, 2023 6:46 pm

You 'Restore' from a library backup. You 'Connect' to an existing database folder hierarchy by clicking Add and then 'Connect' tab.
Time Traveller

John Paines

PostWed Jan 25, 2023 6:48 pm

At this point, it looks like you have a real mess. Here's what I would do:

-- in the Project Library manager, right click every unused or redundant database and disconnect it. If there's a database folder on disk, it won't be deleted. You're just severing the link to Resolve, from a "library" (database) that you're not using or is empty.

-- in the same Project Libraries manager, click "add project library", at the bottom.

-- on the next screen, select "connect" (NOT "create"). Name the database you want to connect (which could be it's actual name, if that name isn't already in use), then browse to it and select. Repeat for each database.

That should get you up and running if the databases are undamaged.

gramsay

PostWed Jan 25, 2023 6:57 pm

Thanks John for your help, I need to move onto other things but will try and follow up tomorrow based on how things go.

gramsay

PostThu Jan 26, 2023 12:12 pm

So follow up to earlier post.

I plugged my external drive into my desktop last night and lo and behold there was the latest version of my project in the restored database. I moved my HD back to my lap top and the project I needed was NOT in my database.

What an unbelievable mess....

Moving the HD back to my desktop I dug into the user settings for Project save and load, and for some reason the project backup location was pointing to an external drive that I use for archiving. I changed the location to my external drive but was still unable to get the project to appear on my lap top. The only solution I could come up with was to export a DRP file and import that into the database.

Wow.

So the good news is I have my most updated project back but I'm utterly baffled at how database/project management is complex and unintuitive. I don't understand what BM is doing here, how is this a better solution then other NLE's? I absolute loathe premiere pro but project management is so much easier and simpler in the adobe ecosystem. Resolve is like having a really expensive sports car but then putting in a 4 cylinder Yugo engine. What's the point in using it if it can't drive it anywhere (Like between machines). I'm sure the the database structure is so baked into Resolve at this point that its not going anywhere but I can't see using Resolve as a primary NLE if it can't find a better way to handle project management. Which is a shame because there are so many great things that resolve does....

Anyway, clearly this is not a NLE designed for mobile editors that work off a Hard drive on different machines. For anyone else that works on laptop and desktop platforms what are your best practices or workflows? Is there a way to set up your databases so that moving between machines is simpler and or efficient. Exporting a DRP file at the end of each session just boggles my brain

Uli Plank

PostThu Jan 26, 2023 12:27 pm

We move student projects around all the time, but databases stay on their machines (internal).
The students have all their footage on their own drives. When they move away from one machine, they export the project, a drp file, and take that with them.
When they come back to the lab, they go for the next free station, import their drp, relink the sources and start working. Has been working flawlessly for years.
If a project hasn’t been touched for a whole term, our technician deletes it from the database.
Maybe AI can help you. Or make you obsolete.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Steve Alexander

PostThu Jan 26, 2023 12:42 pm

I agree with Uli. That's the prescribed workflow to move Resolve projects from one machine to another. Databases stay local, media and a fresh DRP on a removable drive. I think the cloud database (library) is supposed to help users by keeping a copy of the project in the cloud but I'm not sure BMD have shaken all the bugs out of that workflow.
Time Traveller

gramsay

PostThu Jan 26, 2023 2:27 pm

Thanks guys,

That's astoundingly inefficient, but I appreciate the feedback. I mean like that's insane compared to premiere and fcp.

The inability to save a project/database on an external drive and take it with you is difficult to comprehend in this day and age.....It just confirms that Resolve is not a very portable NLE.

oh well, thanks again.

John Paines

PostThu Jan 26, 2023 2:36 pm

Best practices aside, you absolutely can save a project or a database on an external drive and move it to another system. The problem here seems to be that your "restoring" databases that you should be connecting, but even that's not entirely clear, so that looks like the end of the line on this one.....

gramsay

PostThu Jan 26, 2023 2:51 pm

hmmm....
Not sure if restoring or connecting makes a differnce if the most current project won't restore or connect.

To re-iterate, getting the databases up running wasn't the issue (although it is a pain), it was getting the most recent version of the project.

Either way.....Resolve saves databases, projects. db files, backups, archives etc in so many different places that project management is excessive compared to other NLE's.

If there is an better way to move projects/databases between systems that's doesn't involve exporting a DRP file every time I finish a session, I'm all for feedback

John Paines

PostThu Jan 26, 2023 2:57 pm

The latest version of a project is the only one stored in the database. If you're getting earlier versions, you must be restoring earlier versions of the project, not connecting to the current database.

In any event, what you're doing doesn't work, so there's no point continuing to do it. That much we can agree on.

gramsay

PostThu Jan 26, 2023 3:19 pm

so not trying to argue but to be clear, the latest version of the project is NOT stored with the database. If that was the case I would have gotten the latest version of the project when I restored the database on my lap top.

And even when restoring a different database I had to get the project from the project archives.

In other words two separate databases, restored on the laptop, One database had to have the latest project imported from project archives, and another had to be exported as a drp file.

So based on my experience I have to respectfully disagree. Databases do not retain project information, that is stored elsewhere.

Too many moving pieces in the project management workflows to keep track of

and your right, the current situation isn't workable so if there isn't a better solution then it might just be best to go back to premiere or FCP

John Paines

PostThu Jan 26, 2023 3:30 pm

We could go on forever, but what you're describing could not happen, if you were doing it correctly. That, or I'll eat a pound of timecode. Project files stored in databases aren't poltergeists; they don't suddenly replace themselves with earlier versions.

If you're bold, maybe it will help, use the OS to open the database folder and drill down until you get to the Projects folder. Then look inside. You'll see each project has a named folder, and inside that folder, a project.db file with the last date saved. That's it. That's your project, when you access that database. If it's an earlier version, it's the wrong database.

Beyond that, I can't sort out what you're describing. Good luck.

bryantocara

PostThu Jan 26, 2023 4:29 pm

I think the OP already went back to what he knows, so this post is just for posterity for any new users of Resolve who might have a similar problem in the future, find this thread, but have more of a "growth" mindset:

I recently moved my db to a different spot on my computer. When you work on an external, every time you connect to a different computer, it's not guaranteed that that computer will assign the exact same drive letter to that drive, so it's basically like you are moving the location.

Here's the process (screenshots at the very bottom):
  1. Click the old db and select "remove" (use the info button).
  2. Select "Disconnect" — don't be afraid of the whole "you can't undo this action" thing; that just means you can't press ctrl-z... you are not deleting anything. Basically you are disconnecting this empty "shell" of a db path so you can add the current one.
  3. Then use the button at the bottom "Add Project Library", and use the "Connect" Tab. Name it the same as before and then browse and point it to the new location. Projects will now be loaded in their most recent state.

Some considerations:
  • You can go down the list and discconect all before reconnecting (in a "batch task" sort of fashion), but know that at least one db needs to be connected at all times, even if it's an invalid one
  • Remember, think of the listed db in the project manager as a "path" item, not the actual db on your computer... so, you are deleting the "path" by "disconnecting", not the db—i.e. saying "old" db and "new" db is confusing, because most of us just have one current one that we want to have loaded... say, instead, "old path" and "new path"
  • Lastly, there is a difference between "restoring" and "connecting"—restoring only points to the most recent backup of a db; so unless you are exporting a backup of a db everytime you make the slightest change, a "restored" db will NEVER be the most recent version if you've changed the project AT ALL since the last backup

Screenshot 2023-01-26 103513.png
Step 1: Click "info" then "Remove"
Screenshot 2023-01-26 103513.png (48.52 KiB) Viewed 5990 times

Screenshot 2023-01-26 103606.png
Step 2: Select "Disconnect" to severe the old "path"
Screenshot 2023-01-26 103606.png (51.12 KiB) Viewed 5990 times

Screenshot 2023-01-26 103658.png
Step 3: Use "Addd Project LIbrary" button on bottom left of project manager, then use the "Connect" tab
Screenshot 2023-01-26 103658.png (43.53 KiB) Viewed 5990 times

gramsay

PostThu Jan 26, 2023 4:39 pm

Just to document this...not that BM is paying attention....but i am probably going to link to this thread up in feature requests.

Heres is a screen shot to the exact same database that got restored to my laptop. This database exists only on my external Hard drive.

This is the only project that came up after restoring the database. You can tell it was modified on Jan 24th. It was old

Screen Shot 2023-01-26 at 11.30.09 AM.png
Screen Shot 2023-01-26 at 11.30.09 AM.png (282.64 KiB) Viewed 5968 times

Here is the updated project file, modified at 4:35 AM today. This project only appeared after exporting a DRP off my desktop mac

Screen Shot 2023-01-26 at 11.29.57 AM.png
Screen Shot 2023-01-26 at 11.29.57 AM.png (349 KiB) Viewed 5968 times

I fail to understand how this is a better project management system then other NLE's. I'm also beginning to think that BM isnt even fully aware of the issues here.....

Steve Alexander

PostThu Jan 26, 2023 5:15 pm

That 'project.db' is not a database in the sense of what we are talking about here. A file-based database is a folder hierarchy that has one of those project.db files for each project in the database. Maybe I don't understand what you are describing but it looks like you are trying to 'restore' something when everyone else it telling you to 'connect' to the database folder hierarchy.
Time Traveller

gramsay

PostThu Jan 26, 2023 5:48 pm

@Steve- The screen shot of the directory was based on what John suggested. If there's another db file somewhere please elaborate.

@bryantocara- thanks for jumping in, that's helpful and insulting at the same time. :lol: Just to make sure I follow though. Restoring grabs the backup file that automatically saves every few minutes. Re-connecting will grab the latest "save"file"

Thats actually really helpful.

I still want someone to explain what are the benefits of this system over other NLE's....

Andy Mees

PostThu Jan 26, 2023 5:51 pm

gramsay wrote:This is a nice little NLE, but this loss of projects, databases and work is a catastrophic deal breaker for professional use.
If you are losing anything George, then you are doing something wrong. Sorry, but it really couldn't be more black and white. Its not particularly clear why you are moving the database around at all, rather than simply using intentionally portable DRP files, but at the end of the day, that's obviously your choice. That said, you repeatedly talk about 'restoring' databases, which is what you do with an encapsulated backup (ie something created as part of a specific separate 'backup' process), its not how you should be 'connecting' Resolve to an active database directory.

With respect to exporting and using DRP files to move projects around, I do understand that you feel the the idea of exporting & importing a project versus saving & opening is 'inefficient', but exporting a DRP on Resolve for Mac is 'Cmd E', which is not really any more inefficient than pressing 'Cmd-S'. To open your exported DRP on another system you double click it (it will import automatically).

That said, you are certainly not the first user who has struggled to get to grips with Resolve's database workflow model. Although I personally like it the way it is, if motivated enough to do so, I suspect BMD could add an option such the Project Manager was simply 'hidden' for users who wanted to work in single project only mode at all times. Maybe add it as a feature request.

gramsay

PostThu Jan 26, 2023 6:22 pm

Thanks andy,

The only thing im doing is trying to work between two machines. With other NLE's not even something you think about, with Resolve its a mess.

With respect to exporting and using DRP files to move projects around, I do understand that you feel the the idea of exporting & importing a project versus saving & opening is 'inefficient', but exporting a DRP on Resolve for Mac is 'Cmd E', which is not really any more inefficient than pressing 'Cmd-S'. To open your exported DRP on another system you double click it (it will import automatically).

That said, you are certainly not the first user who has struggled to get to grips with Resolve's database workflow model. Although I personally like it the way it is, if motivated enough to do so, I suspect BMD could add an option such the Project Manager was simply 'hidden' for users who wanted to work in single project only mode at all times. Maybe add it as a feature request.

Fair point regarding exporting. Im curious if you can "save as" and place your DRP file in a chosen directory. Might be the same thing. As for a feature request....being able to move an external hard drive from one machine to another with out loosing the database would be top of my list.

Thanks for jumping in.

bryantocara

PostThu Jan 26, 2023 6:34 pm

Thanks for taking my comment in stride earlier
I honestly thought the thread was going to be abandoned so I just wrote it in a way that might help someone years from now.

Here are my personal reasons why I've grown to love Resolve's database system:

Prevents extra files from being saved next to your project file and cluttering up your project folder. From After Effects, to Premiere, to Vegas, etc. random files always start getting generated when the project file is created, from "solids" folders to .bak files to metadata files... it gets annoying after a while, especially when you open up the folder years later

Having a database is an optimal way to keep track of everything ever done with the program. If you ever make a separate project file to generate something quickly, instead of making a new composition/timeline in the same project, and it gets saved somewhere else by default—and you tell yourself you'll remember to put it back with all the other project files later after you make your deadline, but then forget... a db just helps prevent loose project files from falling through the cracks

Easier to collect and export to send to a collaborator who already has all the media. Imagine having to go in and out of every project folder to grab all the individual project files that he/she might need, instead of just exporting a single database

Ah, and I almost forgot a big one: Power Bins... they live within databases. Most people have just one huge db, with clients as folders. Others have a separate db for each client, but not many people create a single database for every project—doing it that way kind of defeats the purpose of having a centralized resource that can span multiple projects

Hope that's a better list of reasons other than, "it's more organized" lol

Sent from my motorola razr using Tapatalk

Steve Alexander

PostThu Jan 26, 2023 8:16 pm

To add to the OP's confusion, there are a number of backup/restore operation types in Resolve:

1. Backup/Restore timeline (DRT)
2. Backup/Restore project (DRP)
3. Project Archive (which includes a DRP along with a copy of the source media)
4. Project Backups (which are sort of like DRPs but meant to be read and imported by the Project Manager)
5. Backup/Restore Database (which creates a backup of a file system hierarchy associated with a database (library)) - see my screen grab for that hierarchy.

The database contains a hierarchy of folders - At some level these folders represent project sub-folders in which each project has its own Project.db. A user is not supposed to interact with a database (library) at this level and it would take special knowledge to do so. Instead, the user can make a backup of a database (which collects all this folder hierarchy and writes it into a backup file). Later, the user can restore this database backup if their database became corrupted. Backup/Restore of databases is not typically used for portability between machines.

When you first take your hard drive with its media and database to another machine, you need to tell Resolve where to look for the database (library). Resolve keeps a list of known databases local to its installation storage (probably in the Program Data folder hierarchy, although I don't know where it keeps this list). The important thing to note is that it does not keep this list on your external hard drive. You must tell Resolve where to look.

To do this, you open the library panel in Resolve's Project Manager window and click the 'Add Project Library' button. When the dialog opens, click the 'Connect' tab (not the Create tab), give the database a name and then navigate to your external hard drive to the top-level folder containing your database (library).

This is where you may be going wrong... The top level folder will have a sub folder called 'Resolve Projects' and the 'Resolve Projects' subfolder will have two subfolders called 'Settings' and 'Users'. Under 'Users' there are subfolders and eventually 'Projects' which in my screen shot has only two 'GreyChartTests' and 'Test001' - These are the project names of the two projects in this database.

The top-level folder name that I point to with the Connect dialog is called (in this example) 'ResolveAlt2022_remote':

Screenshot 2023-01-26 at 3.09.37 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-01-26 at 3.09.37 PM.png (313.21 KiB) Viewed 5865 times

If you were to open one of the project folders you would find a Project.db file but you aren't supposed to touch that or directly access it.

OK - now that you've connected to this database you can access it and work on one of the projects in it. When you are done, you must close Resolve before ejecting your external hard drive. Then you can take that hard drive back to your original machine (provided Resolve is not running on it), connect the drive and then launch Resolve and open the database.

The next time you return to the other machine, you should be able to attach the external hard drive and then launch Resolve and it will simply see the database (because it was told to look for it on the external hard drive).

To the OP - is there some part of this that you haven't been doing as far as connecting to the database on your external hard drive?
Time Traveller

Shrinivas Ramani

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Jan 27, 2023 4:19 am

Thanks for the well explained summary Steve.

The FAQs on Resolve databases - now called project libraries - is here.

A couple of additional points -
a. project libraries are where the "save" occurs. Files with DR? extensions (DRP,DRT,DRB,DRA) are export/exchange formats. If you import a DRP, it converts the contents of the DRP into the current project library, and subsequent saves do not affect the DRP - they occur inside the imported/converted project instance.

b. as the FAQ says, where and how a project is stored - be it a file.db or a specific folder structure or an entry in a database table or a wisp of string in the cloud - is meant to be opaque. Between versions, this structure can and will change to accommodate newer features. The intended interaction is via Resolve or the Resolve project server application - which allows import/export (for project exports), archive/restore (for project archive folders), backup/restore (for project libraries) and even copy-pastes between folders and libraries.

c. Local project libraries were not designed to be shared as is - the FAQ has explicit warnings about scenarios like locating the library in dropbox. With external drives, data integrity is a bit easier to control (Steve's steps on quitting resolve, ejecting disk etc), but come with an additional caveat - you need to use the same Resolve version in both machines.

Different versions can result in the Resolve project manager requiring an "upgrade project library" action to access projects, or noting an "incompatible version" for the library (if the library was made/upgraded by a newer version of Resolve).

d. With external disks/mapped drives, please ensure Resolve has the appropriate permissions to start with.

Uli Plank

PostFri Jan 27, 2023 4:35 am

One thing to add here: never try to install the library to an external disk formatted as exFAT. You may be tempted to try that if you want to move between Windows and MacOS, but it doesn’t work.
Use one of the programs on either side allowing you to handle NTFS on a Mac or HFS+ on the PC.

Marc Wielage

PostFri Jan 27, 2023 8:59 am

Uli Plank wrote:One thing to add here: never try to install the library to an external disk formatted as exFAT. You may be tempted to try that if you want to move between Windows and MacOS, but it doesn’t work. Use one of the programs on either side allowing you to handle NTFS on a Mac or HFS+ on the PC.

Yeah, we got into trouble with a client project where they provided a source drive in exFAT, and that turned into no bueno for us.

To the o.p.: I know I harp on this like a broken record, but the Resolve Project Database is literally the first thing covered in the manual (OK, actually the third thing: Chapter 3, Managing Projects and Project Libraries, starting on p. 65 in the Resolve 18.1 manual).

I get that things work differently in Avid and Premiere and FCPX, but... Resolve is not Avid or Premiere or FCPX. On some level, you have to accept that there's a different user paradigm here and you have to adapt to it to survive. My advice is not to waste time by complaining "this isn't what I'm used to." Accept it and move forward: Resolve has used this kind of user interface (Project Database plus the GUI) for roughly 30 years now. It's not going to change.

I can give you a workaround that we use on all our project: we create a folder called "Color" within the Project Source Drive, and every day -- without fail -- at the end of the session, I manually export a DRP copy of the current project titled ProjectName_date (and sometimes ProjectName_version_date, depending on what it is) and put it in that folder. If I have to move to another system, I import the DRP copy into the new system, relink to the new files, and I'm literally back to work in less than a minute. It's also good in the unlikely event of a crash. (Blackmagic's new Cloud Server is another possibility for you that might efficiently work for sharing projects with other systems.)

I sympathize with anybody having to start working in a new environment and having to learn a new way of doing things. I've literally had to learn 13 different kinds of color software in the last 40 years, and some of them were radically different -- like the difference between a power boat and an Econoline van. They're both transportation, they both go forwards and backwards, they both can haul things, but other than that they're very different. I just read the manual, learn what I need to learn, keep my head down, and get it done.

Second point: you have to not pressure yourself and leap into situations for which you may not quite be ready. I wouldn't jump into a serious (paying) project in Resolve unless I had a few weeks of experience and training. (But I can tell you stories of situations where I was promised training time, and due to logistics, post facilities just threw me into a client session without warning, and I had to learn as I went. It was painful, particularly with buggy new software, but it was a "learning/growing" experience.)

Trust me, many us get lots of work done in Resolve every week, we share projects with multiple people, and we've found ways of working quickly and efficiently. Clients are happy, editors and colorists are happy, and we make a good living. It's a very reliable system -- projects just don't get lost. I can't think of the last time that happened to me (maybe in daVinci 2K, but that was 15 years ago). Give yourself time: go through the training, read what you can of the manuals, and it will get easier. Don't jump into the deep end with an anvil tied to your feet, because it's a lot harder to swim that way.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Uli Plank

PostFri Jan 27, 2023 10:46 am

That should be another sticky, Marc!

Stewart Hemley

PostFri Jan 27, 2023 11:13 am

"Don't jump into the deep end with an anvil tied to your feet, because it's a lot harder to swim that way."

Brilliant. Should be my guiding maxim, but I'm too stubborn/lazy/stupid!

Ugo Laurenti

PostFri Jan 27, 2023 12:57 pm

Marc Wielage wrote:
I can give you a workaround that we use on all our project: we create a folder called "Color" within the Project Source Drive, and every day -- without fail -- at the end of the session, I manually export a DRP copy of the current project titled ProjectName_date (and sometimes ProjectName_version_date, depending on what it is) and put it in that folder. If I have to move to another system, I import the DRP copy into the new system, relink to the new files, and I'm literally back to work in less than a minute. It's also good in the unlikely event of a crash. (Blackmagic's new Cloud Server is another possibility for you that might efficiently work for sharing projects with other systems.)
[/quote]

That's what I do all the time after read one of yours countless post about this and similar issues. Thanks again Marc!
PC Gigabyte z390, i9-9900k 3,6MHz,32Gb, Zotac 1080ti, Decklink MiniMonitor, Eizo CG2420 Windows10Pro, Resolve Studio 18.5.1, Tangent Element Panel Kit, MB Air m1.

gramsay

PostFri Jan 27, 2023 2:16 pm

Thanks to everyone for jumping in and providing some insight. Theres a lot of very helpful info here from everyone so thank you!

One of my favorite compliments i ever got from a client was after making a couple of quick changes they said.
"wow you really know your machine well." It showed how much they trusted me to get them where they wanted to go.

So its not only just hearing from other editors on workflows and best practices, but also understanding WHY a system operates the way it does. We need to know how a system operates the way it does, or why it does things in a specific way so we can troubleshoot. Obviously i needed to get under the hood of resolve and have a better fundamental understanding of the how and why of databases. Wasn't trying to be argumentative but needed to keep asking questions to fully understand what was happening. And i really do prefer this NLE over Premiere so I really needed some detailed feedback from other experienced resolve users.

So thanks again to everyone for their advice and input. Its much appreciated

Mark Foster

PostFri Jan 27, 2023 2:37 pm

that's the big problem these days.

almost no one wants to do training, or read manuals
(you can see best in the facebook groups, where every reference
to the manual ends in a ****storm).

it is common to do something according to youtube tutorials and these instructions
(although very few also show this intensively and correctly) without understanding
why it should be done that way.

this was now no reproach to the TS, but only an assessment on my part!

cMP 5.1 2x3,46/96GB/2x2TB SSD/4x4TB/7101A 4x2TB 970evo+/HP1344/BMD4k/RadeonVII
macOS 12.6.3
BMPCC 6k pro (7.9.1)
meike s35 cine 25mm, 35mm, 50mm, 75mm
resolve studio 18.1.4
mini panel
speed editor
desktop video 12.1
intensity pro 4k
atem extreme (8.6.1)

Michel Rabe

PostFri Jan 27, 2023 11:03 pm

When I studied I had a class called "User Interface Design" and one of the basic lessons was that the machine or software should adapt to the user, not the other way around. I understand some people defend this database structure, as they put the work in or get along just fine, but it is not an intuitive workflow - far from.

I'm not sure, how often people like John and others have to help guys out on this forum when another database confusion strikes? I'm not on here that often but it feels like I see it regularly.

I understand Blackmagic wants to get a broad range of "content creators" on board with Resolve so it would be good to reconsider that database, now project library, thing.

The intuitive way is for Resolve to ADAPT to THE USERS folder structure - not the other way around.

It's a minor nuisance given the awesomeness of Resolve but worth considering.

Joe Shapiro

PostSat Jan 28, 2023 1:58 am

Michel Rabe wrote:When I studied I had a class called "User Interface Design" and one of the basic lessons was that the machine or software should adapt to the user, not the other way around.

I understand Blackmagic wants to get a broad range of "content creators" [using Resolve].

Yup. There’s lots of research backing up how important coming to the user is. The old guard here has gone through the pain of adapting to a UI that has gone its own way even for very common things. But they came on in a very different market.

Attracting and keeping new users who are used to fairly standard UI will be an ongoing challenge for Resolve. We’ll see if BMD will continue with this “not invented here” approach. Maybe it’ll be fine for them - but historically that’s not how it usually turns out.
Director, Editor, Problem Solver. Been cutting indie features for 23 years. FCP editor from version 2 to 7.
Resolve 18.6.3
MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max 64GB RAM, macOS 14.1
MacBook Air 13" M1 8GB RAM, macOS 14.1

Michel Rabe

PostSat Jan 28, 2023 12:32 pm

Oh well. It just happened to me.

Had to clean install Resolve 18 Studio (Mac) because it suddenly wouldn't accept the key anymore. I followed instructions from BMD support via Email (as the same problem occurred some month ago already) but this time I struggled getting my database back.

What I struggled with was that there is only a "Restore" option available at the top layer UI. Only if doing the below, mentioned by John, you get to see the "Connect" option.

John Paines wrote:
-- in the same Project Libraries manager, click "add project library", at the bottom.

-- on the next screen, select "connect" (NOT "create").

The whole thing is unnecessarily complicated and regularly changing UI adds to the confusion.

Kenzo

PostSat Jan 28, 2023 4:56 pm

gramsay wrote:Thanks guys,

That's astoundingly inefficient, but I appreciate the feedback. I mean like that's insane compared to premiere and fcp.

The inability to save a project/database on an external drive and take it with you is difficult to comprehend in this day and age.....It just confirms that Resolve is not a very portable NLE.

oh well, thanks again.

I think the most convenient for you would be a cloud database.
Eryk Rogozinski
www.art-fx.eu

Uli Plank

PostSun Jan 29, 2023 12:22 am

But that seems to be a bit flaky still. I'd stick to the .drp approach.

Dermot Shane

PostSun Jan 29, 2023 4:45 am

Uli Plank wrote:But that seems to be a bit flaky still. I'd stick to the .drp approach.

+1

Marc Wielage

PostSun Jan 29, 2023 6:39 am

Michel Rabe wrote:I'm not sure, how often people like John and others have to help guys out on this forum when another database confusion strikes? I'm not on here that often but it feels like I see it regularly.

I think this can happen when someone abruptly moves to Resolve from other software like Adobe Premiere, and they blindly assume it's going to work in exactly the same way. I could make a parallel argument: if you go from Premiere to Avid or FCPX, you're also going to flounder, because it won't work the same way. You'll definitely make more progress if you read the manual and go through the tutorials. And again: the Resolve database is actually covered in the first 100 pages of the manual. They tell you how to move sessions to other systems.

One key you have to remember: don't move any Resolve files in the operating system. Let Resolve handle it. If you try to move Gallery stills or session files or database files, it could cause file corruption and grief. As long as you work entirely in the Project Manager, you should have no problem.

Michel Rabe

PostSun Jan 29, 2023 11:26 am

Well, I stand by the basic principle of User Interface Design, the software/machine should adapt to the user, not the other way around. No matter how complex or "professional" it is.

Resolve's database/project library structure needs too much adaption and thus creates unnecessary points of failure, especially for new users.

Many veterans like the status quo and point to reading manuals, which is a valid objection. But it remains, it could be much simpler and intuitive. And imo it will have to be (and I'm sure sooner or later it will be) if BMD really target the future generation of content creators.

John Paines

PostSun Jan 29, 2023 3:42 pm

More explicit instruction in the manual or the training videos might be helpful, but it can't assumed that anyone is going to consult that material.

The database/library interface could certainly be improved. Even the means of accessing the database manager isn't obvious from the Project Manager and the icons on the database/library page itself are small and needlessly confusing, and are known to change with each version. And while the developers discourage direct fooling with the database contents, there are occasions when there is no alternative to engaging directly with the Projects folder. The sooner these fears are surmounted, with appropriate precautions (like backups), the easier it becomes to address the occasional disruption.

But as for Premiere-like autonomous project files -- that's completely at odds with facility requirements, the Cloud and collaborative work. Making this concession to solo or home owners is a whole a lot to ask.... For that matter, databases/library could be seen as an improvement over scattered autonomous project files even at home.

Databases aren't, as they say, heart surgery. It's actually pretty simple, if you take the time. Much, much easier, say, than getting a good grasp of Fusion or Fairlight, and nobody demands that either of those must be instantly understood.

Gary Hango

PostSun Jan 29, 2023 4:04 pm

I’m surprised no one mentioned that you can mount external drives to a folder instead of a drive letter. Just mount to the same folder on both computers and Resolve won’t have to deal with different drive letters.
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro x64
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700, 3.40GHz, 32.0 GB
MB: MSI, BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. A.60, 12/17/2015
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960, 2Gb
Resolve 18.1.1.0007(Free)

Marc Wielage

PostMon Jan 30, 2023 1:52 am

John Paines wrote:More explicit instruction in the manual or the training videos might be helpful, but it can't assumed that anyone is going to consult that material.

Saying "I won't read the manual" is no excuse. You have to, or else you'll drive right off the road -- particularly with complex software or hardware.

What's the old expression: "you can fight arrogance, and you can fight ignorance, but you can't fight arrogant ignorance?" If somebody adamantly refuses to learn, they're doomed.

Michel Rabe wrote:Resolve's database/project library structure needs too much adaption and thus creates unnecessary points of failure, especially for new users.

You're always free to use a competing product. Filmlight's Baselight is an excellent system... but it starts at $80,000 (for the self-contained version) and: it still has a project database. You can use Premiere... but the color correction isn't nearly as advanced as Resolve. You can use FCPX... but it won't run on Windows, and it has some fairly heavy UI problems of its own. You could use Avid (which is Mac & Windows), but it has a fairly steep learning curve. And I would strongly recommend reading the manual with all of them.

You can also leave comments for Resolve suggestions in this part of the forum:

viewforum.php?f=33

Jack Fairley

PostMon Jan 30, 2023 2:22 am

Joe Shapiro wrote:The old guard here has gone through the pain of adapting to a UI that has gone its own way even for very common things. But they came on in a very different market.

A lot of this is just different requirements being represented by two ways people are solving the same problem, project sharing. In a larger environment, it's not a big deal to have a project server, robust network attached storage, remote connectivity, and so on. That same setup works for individuals, but the juice is simply not the financial squeeze, and I assume that's part of why BMD is developing cloud libraries. Probably the best fit for OP.
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

Uli Plank

PostMon Jan 30, 2023 2:23 am

Don't worry, Marc, life is a very unforgiving teacher.

Next

Return to DaVinci Resolve