Does Latency on Audio Clip Effects remain uncompensated?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

cottontail

Does Latency on Audio Clip Effects remain uncompensated?

PostThu Jan 26, 2023 10:24 am

Hello,

My understanding is that clip-based audio effects are not compensation by ADC but track/bus level is.

Does the latency caused by placing Audio Effects on a singular clip 'disappear' upon Rendering the entire project in Deliver?

Reynaud Venter

Re: Does Latency on Audio Clip Effects remain uncompensated?

PostThu Jan 26, 2023 10:56 am

Audio Clip contextual menu > Cache Audio Effects or Bounce Audio Effects.
⟦ Mac Pro 7,1 Rack ⊕ 16-core 3.2GHz ⊕ 32GB RAM ⊕ Radeon 580X • Resolve Studio 19.0 • macOS 14.4.1 ⟧
⟦ Fairlight Studio Console ⊕ Fairlight Audio Accelerator ⊕ Merging Hapi • Anubis • Ravenna CoreAudio VAD ⟧

Steve Alexander

PostThu Jan 26, 2023 12:59 pm

cottontail wrote:Hello,

My understanding is that clip-based audio effects are not compensation by ADC but track/bus level is.

Does the latency caused by placing Audio Effects on a singular clip 'disappear' upon Rendering the entire project in Deliver?

When you render for delivery, the latency should be removed. If you want to remove the latency within the Resolve timeline during the edit session, use Reynaud's suggestion. I recommend that you give this a test to verify the result.
Time Traveller
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 | Fusion Studio 19.0b1 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4

cottontail

PostFri Jan 27, 2023 1:42 pm

Steve Alexander wrote:
cottontail wrote:Hello,

When you render for delivery, the latency should be removed. If you want to remove the latency within the Resolve timeline during the edit session, use Reynaud's suggestion. I recommend that you give this a test to verify the result.

Ok. If latency were to be introduced I assumed rendering would deal with it in the worst case scenario.
I've realised you can't be sure sometimes.

Reynaud Venter wrote:Audio Clip contextual menu > Cache Audio Effects or Bounce Audio Effects.

After searching the PDF with your suggestions I come to the conclusions:

1. A Contextual menu is a right click menu

2. Cache Audio Effects renders that clips effects to remove any potential delay
and speed up processing -adjustments can be made by clicking the Custom button on the Effects panel of the Clip and it will update automatically.

3. Bounce Audio Effects creates a new track with the effects baked in, but keeps the editable track and disables it, Placing it under the newly Bounced Track creating an Audio Stack exposed by the Sshow Audio Track Layers" function, found in the View menu.

I am now confident in using Plugins freely without a concern for permanent Latency.
And with techniques to mitigate temporal Latency should they appear delayed

thanks

John Paines

PostFri Jan 27, 2023 3:24 pm

I think you'll find that artifacts and latency produced by third party vst plugins will be found in the renders. You'd need to bounce to avoid that. Don't assume cached will work either in renders, unless you confirm latency-free realtime timeline playback.

cottontail

PostSat Jan 28, 2023 3:53 pm

John Paines wrote:I think you'll find that artifacts and latency produced by third party vst plugins will be found in the renders. You'd need to bounce to avoid that. Don't assume cached will work either in renders, unless you confirm latency-free realtime timeline playback.

Ok I'll take note to bounce tracks with VST plugins.

How would one confirm a clip is latency free?

Return to DaVinci Resolve