C2C and half speed footage

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

rossdixon

C2C and half speed footage

PostFri Jan 27, 2023 1:59 pm

Hey guys, I have what I'm assuming is a pretty common problem but cant find any answers to. So I'm hoping someone has come across a suitable work around for it!

We have a project coming up that requires us being away from the studio for a month. The client cant wait for a month for us to start cutting. So C2C is the perfect solution... I hope.

We are shooting 5k Red Raw on our Komodo and using a Teradek Cube 655 to create the proxis and upload to frame.io.
Everything works perfectly apart from when you throw in that we have to shoot half speed (48fps in a 24fps project). The limitation is the SDI cable and that it cannot output off-speed frame rates (also shooting at 50fps is out as we have to down scale too much for the Komodo to do it).

So our editor is getting 24fps footage from the cloud, and in theory they should just be able to play it back half speed and then you have 48/24 footage (all be it a bit jittery, but its proxis anyway so its workable). Correct?
The issue comes when we reconform the r3d files. Suddenly everything drifts. Then our client approved edit is no longer the same edit.
I am going about this entirely the wrong way or am I just doing something wrong?
Or does anyone have any other work-arounds that are better?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Craig Sawyer

Re: C2C and half speed footage

PostWed Feb 01, 2023 5:24 pm

Out of interest, have you looked at using the now inbuilt Frame C2C integration with the Komodo rather than going out to a Teradek to get to Frame? I don't have a Komodo, but the videos seem to suggest this can now all be done in camera inc. half speed
URSA Mini Pro G1, BMPCC6K x 2, BMPCC4K, ATEM Mini Pro

Return to DaVinci Resolve