DR and Windows colour managment

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

pantau000

DR and Windows colour managment

PostSun Jan 29, 2023 3:03 pm

There's a thread on the difficulties of "Activating 10-bit HDR viewer in Windows?" (https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=157936).

However, running some tests it seems to me that DR is among the programs which completely ignore Windows colour management altogether.

That means that on any software calibrated monitor (like my notebook screen), contrary to what happens, for instance, in Adobe Photoshop, displayed everything more or less wrongly, as if there was no colour profile in use, but according to the standard sRGB profile.

That make colour correction with DR in Windows useless even in for non-HDR, unless you use a hardware calibrated monitor (which does not exist for Windows notebooks, as afar as I know).

Jim Simon

Re: DR and Windows colour managment

PostSun Jan 29, 2023 3:05 pm

My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

pantau000

Re: DR and Windows colour managment

PostThu Feb 02, 2023 6:22 pm

DisplayCal allows to generate 3D-LUTs based on monitor profiling.

However, there are so many options that I get confused on how to choose the right ones. Has anyone worked with this?

Return to DaVinci Resolve