Media Storage Location

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

snoopylanka

Media Storage Location

PostMon Jan 30, 2023 5:50 pm

I just installed Davinci Resolve and really wanted to start working with it. However, the software simply does not accept my designated media storage location, whichever I chose. I always get the error message "DaVinci failed to back up as a backup folder could not be created in the selected Project backup location".

I'm using a MacBook Pro and had set the media storage location in several different places on local SSD.
I tried uninstalling the programme, removing all traces of it and re-installing it, but it returns to my previous setting when re-installing.

Any ideas before I give up?
Thanks!

Marc Wielage

Re: Media Storage Location

PostTue Jan 31, 2023 2:34 am

snoopylanka wrote:I just installed Davinci Resolve and really wanted to start working with it. However, the software simply does not accept my designated media storage location, whichever I chose. I always get the error message "DaVinci failed to back up as a backup folder could not be created in the selected Project backup location".

Have you checked permissions on the drive? Ideally, everybody should be able to Read & Write to that drive.

Note that the Project Backup location is set separately from Media Storage over in User Settings -> Project Save & Load, with "Project Backup Location" given a valid drive (or folder).
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Uli Plank

PostTue Jan 31, 2023 2:57 am

On recent MacOS versions you need to give the program access rights to your media.
Normally you get asked about the when installing or starting it.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

snoopylanka

PostThu Feb 02, 2023 11:02 am

Marc Wielage wrote:.

Have you checked permissions on the drive? Ideally, everybody should be able to Read & Write to that drive.

Note that the Project Backup location is set separately from Media Storage over in User Settings -> Project Save & Load, with "Project Backup Location" given a valid drive (or folder).[/quote]

Thank you Marc. Yes, I have checked permissions. They are set to Read & Write. And yes, I am aware of the two different Backup locations.
Will keep trying.

snoopylanka

PostThu Feb 02, 2023 11:04 am

Uli Plank wrote:On recent MacOS versions you need to give the program access rights to your media.
Normally you get asked about the when installing or starting it.

OK, that may be what is the problem. Where do I give the permission? It did not ask during installation.
Thank you!

Uli Plank

PostSat Feb 04, 2023 1:37 am

System settings -> Security -> Full disk access.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Return to DaVinci Resolve