Full Screen Timeline with iPad as second display

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

leedumond

Full Screen Timeline with iPad as second display

PostTue Jan 31, 2023 12:19 am

It seems that the Full Screen Timeline option is not available when using an iPad as your second display via Sidecar on Mac. Is that true, or am I doing it wrong?

The option is grayed out in the Workspace menu.
Macbook 16" M2 Max, 96 GB RAM, 12 CPU cores, 38 GPU Cores, 2 TB SSD, Samsung T7 2 TB external SSD, Liquid Retina XDR display

Marc Wielage

Re: Full Screen Timeline with iPad as second display

PostTue Jan 31, 2023 2:18 am

I think that's a bad idea for a lot of reasons. For one, the iPad is going to have different resolution from your main monitor. For another, I'd bet there will be a delay from the time you make an adjustment and move the mouse, and the time you see the action happen.

I think iPads are good for certain things, but I don't think they're good for extended your timeline in Resolve. To me, it makes more sense just to buy an identical second display and turn on the "Dual Screen" Option in the Workspace menu.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

leedumond

PostTue Jan 31, 2023 2:36 am

I’m just wondering if it’s supported and if not, if it’s disabled for a reason.

You maybe be correct about the resolution not being ideal (although they’ve managed to cram the entire interface onto an iPad already, so there’s that).

Definitely mistaken about having any lag though. It actually works with DR 100% instantaneously. No lag whatsoever. I move scopes and run Clean Feed on my iPad in real time all the time.

Just seems Full Screen Timeline is the only scenario that doesn’t work.
Macbook 16" M2 Max, 96 GB RAM, 12 CPU cores, 38 GPU Cores, 2 TB SSD, Samsung T7 2 TB external SSD, Liquid Retina XDR display

Uli Plank

PostTue Jan 31, 2023 4:12 am

Well, actually Dual Screen works for me here with an iPad. Latency is surprisingly low and I use it sometimes to have a large TC display or get the scopes out of the way.
You can even do a Clean Feed, if you want to trust its colours (I use a calibrated screen instead).

But the extended timeline doesn't work, probably because the resolution is different.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Return to DaVinci Resolve