Auto sync based on waveform

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

GalinMcMahon

Auto sync based on waveform

PostTue Jan 31, 2023 4:56 am

OK, I've done this a ton of times but for some reason it's being difficult.

New project
Imported all video w/ internal audio + external audio
Select all
Auto sync based on waveform and append tracks

When I go to edit and drag a clip in, it has 2 tracks of the internal audio. If I sync again in the Media Pool on the edit page, it says it's syncing. I drag a clip in again, still 2 tracks with the internal audio. If I drag the external audio (track 3 below) from the media pool that I just sync'd with onto the timeline, it syncs with the video/ internal audio when I auto align. Shouldn't it be doing this when I sync in the media pool instead of on the timeline?

audio tracks.png
audio tracks.png (38.73 KiB) Viewed 524 times

I have played around with all of the channels on the clip attributes but that isn't finding the external audio.
Water cooled Windows 11 laptop
i9 12th gen - 64GB RAM - 16GB 3080ti
2TB 4th gen nvme main - 4TB 4th gen nvme scratch
Micro panel (thank you BM :) ) - Stream Deck
Resolve Studio 18.5
BenQ ultrawide - DeckLink 4k mini via Sonnet - 48” LG C2 OLED

Joe Shapiro

Re: Auto sync based on waveform

PostTue Jan 31, 2023 6:17 am

Yes it should work if you're doing what you're describing.

I just played around with it a bit and found that waveform autosync requires that, for the video clips, the sound to be synced is on tracks 1 and 2. There's no such requirement for the audio clips.

To me this sounds like a bug or misfeature. But it doesn't appear, from what you've posted in your screen caps, that that's what's going on for you.

When it says it's syncing does it just come back without an error message? For me it either syncs all clips or, if any don't match, gives me a list of the clips that didn't sync.
Director, Editor, Problem Solver. Been cutting indie features for 23 years. FCP editor from version 2 to 7.
Resolve 18.6.6
MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max 64GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1
MacBook Air 13" M1 8GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1

GalinMcMahon

PostTue Jan 31, 2023 3:43 pm

Yes, there is a list of files that didn't sync. Presumably all MOS video and foley audio clips. I did go through the list to make sure that neither of the clips in the above image were not noted as un-sync'd.

I just think it's really weird that when I select all audio and video clips and tell it to sync them, it for some reason just duplicates the in-camera audio tracks (lav / camera inbuilt mic) but ignores the good external (boom / shotgun) clips that do sync well individually on the timeline. I've tried this with both 'sync based on waveform' and 'sync based on waveform and append.' I do want to append though as there may be good audio (lav) on the in-camera track.

Perhaps I'm doing the workflow...differently...than intended? I would find it very odd if it was intended that we cut a film then go through each clip and manually sync the audio to those.
Water cooled Windows 11 laptop
i9 12th gen - 64GB RAM - 16GB 3080ti
2TB 4th gen nvme main - 4TB 4th gen nvme scratch
Micro panel (thank you BM :) ) - Stream Deck
Resolve Studio 18.5
BenQ ultrawide - DeckLink 4k mini via Sonnet - 48” LG C2 OLED

Joe Shapiro

PostTue Jan 31, 2023 4:56 pm

It's intended to work as you expect. I'm editing a feature and did manage to sync the whole thing using waveform sync.

Would you screen record your attempt and post a link to it here so we can see your process? Perhaps also record audio and tell us what you're doing as you go.
Director, Editor, Problem Solver. Been cutting indie features for 23 years. FCP editor from version 2 to 7.
Resolve 18.6.6
MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max 64GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1
MacBook Air 13" M1 8GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1

Jim Simon

PostWed Feb 01, 2023 12:14 am

GalinMcMahon wrote:when I select all audio and video clips and tell it to sync them, it for some reason just duplicates the in-camera audio tracks
That doesn't sound right.

Can you create a very small project that does this and share the Archive?
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Return to DaVinci Resolve