Glitching Audio/Video in most recent Da Vinci Resolve free

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

KGrantSuttie

Glitching Audio/Video in most recent Da Vinci Resolve free

PostWed Feb 01, 2023 2:31 am

Hi All -

I wish I could laud the praises of Da Vinci Resolve but I cannot get seem to get it to behave. Apologies as I'm not super tech inclined. I am only editing very short clips (max 10 minutes) of footage filmed on my Samsung S9 with Filmic Pro usually in 29.97 or 30 fps @ 1080 for my self tape auditions - so not very compressed film or processor heavy material - or so I thought. Updated every last driver I could and reinstalled everything. Still my audio and video glitch, go out of sync, play correctly only in media or cut or edit seemingly at random or sometimes just goes mute. A director friend who is quite skilled with Da Vinci Resolve troubleshot with me all possible audio drama. I've since reinstall so everything is at factory settings anyways. I recognize that my laptop specs are a little old but another friend has a 6+ year old laptop that just downloaded DaVinci yesterday and had no issues.

I would dearly appreciate a solution. I would prefer not to give Adobe anymore of my money. Also, it if it truly a hardware issue, I doubt a different editing software is going to solve the problem

Win10 Pro-64bit 10.0.19045| 32GB RAM | i7-7700HQ @ 2.80 GHz
NVIDA GeForce GTX 1050 ti
Intel(R) HD Graphics 630
Realtek Audio
HDD 1 931 GB ST 1000LM035-1RK172
SSD/EMMC 1 238 GB Micron_1100
SSD/EMMC 2 931 My Passport 264F

KGrantSuttie

Re: Glitching Audio/Video in most recent Da Vinci Resolve fr

PostWed Feb 01, 2023 8:29 pm

Uli Plank

PostThu Feb 02, 2023 2:20 am

Your computer should handle HD just fine, UHD might be a challenge.
And then, do you have a chance to test it with footage from a video camera? Smartphones can be a problem, since most of them don't record at a stable frame rate. Or can you post a short original on a cloud service?
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

KGrantSuttie

PostFri Feb 03, 2023 12:05 am

What do you mean 'post short original on cloud service'? Please see attached youtube links.

Editing only in HD on laptop. It's a fine working computer, if older, so would prefer not to have to trade it in.

I don't have a good video camera. I have an old Canon Vixia Camcorder but opted for phone + filmic pro (legacy) as that gave me more control over the focus, lighting, etc. I can't imagine everyone using this exact setup is running into this particular problem. I did not know that smartphones couldn't keep a constant frame rate, even though filmic pro has features to adjust it :evil: . I know that DaVinci can change the timeline to match the video, but I think that might be a potential bottle neck. Is there a way to clean up or unify the frame rate before it goes into Da Vinci?

Uli Plank

PostSat Feb 04, 2023 1:44 am

Youtube is not storing your original. Use Dropbox, Google Cloud, whatever to upload a short clip from the phone which exhibits the problem in DR. On my older iPhone, an SE II, I get VFR even when shooting with FiLMiC Pro (legacy too).
Clips can be converted to CFR with free tools like Shutter Encoder.
And then, did you set audio to 48 kHz PCM?
I'm not sure if that is the reason, just guessing.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Return to DaVinci Resolve