Committed to develop the Edit page? Or not?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

flavioggarcia

Committed to develop the Edit page? Or not?

PostWed Feb 01, 2023 12:07 pm

OK, here we go...

Years ago, Grant said that we would see features from the Edit page come to the Cut page, and features from the Cut page come to the Edit page.

This did not happen.

Now, after they released the iPad version, that supports only the Cut page, they said that they need to bring in to the Cut page the functionality that it's missing.

No word about Edit.

So...

Do we have peace of mind that the development of the Edit page will continue?

Could it happen that they get rid off it?

Before committing to move all my editing activity from Media Composer to DaVinci, I would need to have assurance about this. I need stability, and I need to have confidence that my tools and workflows will be taken care of, and will remain accessibly. It's all relative, but we need the minimum security.

Some high end editors I now never really recovered from the shock of Final Cut Pro X, and they will think it twice before swapping programs without certainty.

I keep seeing that what Blackmagic design is doing with the editing stuff is really not for me, not for any high end editor.

I understand why they do it, but still...

A short list of improvements of the Edit page would be:

- Continued scrolling timeline.
- Tape mode (from Cut).
- Save Timeline View options.
- Customise even more Time View options.
- Mappable Zoom shortcuts and zoom presets.
- Source Timeline view.

And the list goes on.

And here my biggest request for the Cut page:

- JKL trimming. How can it be that this does not work? It should be possible.

Just a few ideas.

You should also know that, at least in my area (Berlin), Premiere Pro is growing a lot the last couple of years.

I use and teach editing and postproduction, and I work for companies to train their stuff. Most of companies use Premiere Pro for editing and Resolve for grading and post. When I step in, and after studying their workflow and needs, a lot of times I recommend to move the editing to DaVinci. I convinced a lot of users and companies to do this over the years. But lately, things are changing, and most companies don't want to leave Premiere, or Avid, because of some of the reasons I explained here.

Hoping the Edit page gets the love.

Jim Simon

Re: Committed to develop the Edit page? Or not?

PostWed Feb 01, 2023 3:40 pm

flavioggarcia wrote:Could it happen that they get rid off [Edit]?
I don't work for BMD. I have no inside knowledge here.

But I also have NO fear of that happening.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Jim Simon

PostWed Feb 01, 2023 3:41 pm

flavioggarcia wrote:- JKL trimming. How can it be that this does not work?
Dynamic Trim has been available for quite some time now.

Maybe I don't understand what you mean?
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

flavioggarcia

PostWed Feb 01, 2023 8:18 pm

What I said: JKL trimming does not work in the Cut page. Try it.

Jim Simon

PostThu Feb 02, 2023 4:13 pm

Ahhh, the Cut page. I missed that. Sorry.

I just don't use (or care about) that.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Joe Shapiro

PostThu Feb 02, 2023 6:46 pm

I agree with Jim here that I can't imagine them getting rid of the Edit page. That would be a lot like what Apple did when they killed FCP7. Apple did it because they want to target iOS almost exclusively. BMD has no such monkey on its back as far as I can see. Why would it be to their advantage to axe the Edit page?

That said, I totally agree with you that the Edit page needs lots of love. As does the discoverability, intuitiveness, and unnecessary complexity of everything but the Color page.
Director, Editor, Problem Solver. Been cutting indie features for 23 years. FCP editor from version 2 to 7.
Resolve 18.6.3
MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max 64GB RAM, macOS 14.1
MacBook Air 13" M1 8GB RAM, macOS 14.1

flavioggarcia

PostThu Feb 02, 2023 8:04 pm

So, Joe!

Are now happy doing everything in Resolve?

Or are you regretting it a bit?

SamBham

PostThu Feb 02, 2023 8:37 pm

flavioggarcia wrote:OK, here we go...

- Continued scrolling timeline.

- Mappable Zoom shortcuts and zoom presets.

What do you mean by " Continued scrolling timeline"?

Also, when you talk about "Mappable Zoom shortcuts and zoom presets.", do you mean the ability o zoom into the source monitor? That's definitely something Resolve should have had a while ago. Or, are you referring to increasing/ decreasing the width of the audio and video tracks? I definitely miss the way PPro did that w the keyboard shortcut. The whole Shift-scroll tends to increase and decrease way too with only a slight move.

Joe Shapiro

PostThu Feb 02, 2023 8:49 pm

flavioggarcia wrote:So, Joe!
Are now happy doing everything in Resolve?
Or are you regretting it a bit?

So far things are working well enough for me. I must admit I'm a bit nervous that something will break - something important to me like audio waveform sync - and dev won't fix it for months. But other than that I'm pretty much OK where things are.

I still hope they improve the UI - which I consider low-hanging fruit - but that's mostly for new people coming on. Which will help market penetration and make Resolve a more secure choice. And I hope they address some of the really irritating things to me - like Undo/Redo not "returning the playhead to the scene of the edit." But yeah, I'm generally happy with Resolve.
Director, Editor, Problem Solver. Been cutting indie features for 23 years. FCP editor from version 2 to 7.
Resolve 18.6.3

GalinMcMahon

PostThu Feb 02, 2023 11:38 pm

JKL are editing commands. They rightfully live in the edit page. The cut page isn't designed for editing, it's designed for cutting. "High end" editors won't edit on an ipad. They will edit in their "high end" editing suite on a capable desktop system. There are already source and timeline views in edit and you can already save timeline views (i.e. toggling between full timeline and zoomed in to your work area.) I would recommend familiarizing yourself with the software a bit more.
Water cooled Windows 11 laptop
i9 12th gen - 64GB RAM - 16GB 3080ti
2TB 4th gen nvme main - 4TB 4th gen nvme scratch
Micro panel (thank you BM :) ) - Stream Deck
Resolve Studio 18.5
BenQ ultrawide - DeckLink 4k mini via Sonnet - 48” LG C2 OLED

Marc Wielage

PostFri Feb 03, 2023 12:04 am

Joe Shapiro wrote:I agree with Jim here that I can't imagine them getting rid of the Edit page. That would be a lot like what Apple did when they killed FCP7. Apple did it because they want to target iOS almost exclusively.

As far as I know, there's never been a version of FCPX for iOS, particularly not the iPad.

There's a long story about how programmer/designer Randy Ubillos created the first three versions of Premiere Pro, then got hired by Macromedia to invent a different editing system (first called KeyGrip). At a last minute demo in 1998, they changed the name of the program to Final Cut, and soon after it sold to Apple (making all the developers millionaires). Apple also killed development of the Windows version. Ubilos was hired by Apple to continue development of Final Cut (now called Final Cut Pro). In 2007, kind of as a lark, he took it upon himself to create a new, simpler version of iMovie (which had been developed by somebody else). Steve Jobs happened to see it, decided this was the direction they needed for Final Cut Pro, and so had Ubilos create a simplified "iMovie-like" version of Final Cut Pro... which they called FCPX. A lot of critics hated iMovie 8 and FCPX, and it's fair to say a lot of pro users moved over to Premiere (and Avid, which is still the most popular system used in Hollywood). Apple said they had to rewrite all of FCPX in order to make it "32-bit clean" for newer operating systems and file formats. Ubilos cashed out all his Apple stock options and retired in 2015, a very wealthy man.

In 2011, a group of high-profile FCP7 editors in LA actually petitioned Apple to buy the rights to the discarded code, promising to just give the program away as freeware but keep it 32-bit and current with new Mac operating systems. Apple's response was, "our intention is not to make it easier for people to make products to compete with Apple software." I attended some local FCP user group meetings in LA, and the Apple reps were actually booed when they got on stage -- it turned ugly quickly.

It's interesting to reflect that Premiere, Final Cut Pro 7, iMovie, and FCPX were all created by the same guy. It just shows how drastically user-interface characteristics can change due to a whim or a personal preference by the part of the designer.

To me, Resolve has gone through a remarkable path over the last 20 years: it's stunning to go back and look at the user interface we had, say, in Resolve 6 back in 2009:

To me, Blackmagic has clearly listened to users and made a lot of positive changes in each successive version. Bear in mind that Resolve didn't really edit until version 10.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Tekkerue

PostFri Feb 03, 2023 1:03 am

flavioggarcia wrote:Hoping the Edit page gets the love.
+1,000,000!

The Color and Fusion pages are incredible, Fairlight is just alright, but the Edit page is really lagging behind. Coming from Vegas Pro and DAWs like Reaper and Samplitude, basic editing in Resolve is extremely frustrating. The Edit page is the central hub for the entire project so this needs to be a top priority. I'm relatively new to Resolve (about a year), but from what I've read on the forum the Edit page has been mostly left alone for several update cycles, which is unfortunate.

A big one I'd love to see is the ability to customize the editing and navigation operations by having a preferences menu to edit function keys+mouse buttons and function keys+mouse wheel (just like the keyboard shortcut editor), this would solve many headaches for me while using Resolve. This also applies to customizing keys on the Speed Editor for the Edit page.

Some other things that would improve my experience in the Edit page: Layered Video Editing (exactly like what already exists in Resolve but it's currently only for audio tracks), auto-crossfade mode, don't delete transitions when moving a clip (even just one frame), preview the clip being edited in the viewer while adjusting transitions (currently it shows a preview of the clip not being edited, which is backwards), better keyframing in Edit page, more curves for fades/crossfades instead of only linear, track selection for enabling disabling features on multiple tracks at once and drag and drop tracks to change track order, a fullscreen button above the viewer, a "Save as Image" button above the viewer for saving stills, the spline editor from Fusion in the edit page, etc.

Little things like this would make the Edit page a great experience and many of these features already exist in Resolve (so they wouldn't have to start from scratch), but need to be adapted for the Edit page or for video tracks. I too hope the Edit page gets some much needed love. :)
CPU: Intel Core i7-8700 CPU 3.20GHz
MOBO: ASUS PRIME Z370-A
Graphics: Intel UHD Graphics 630 (Yeah, I know!)
Audio: Audient iD14 USB Interface
Storage: Seagate SATA HDD

Joe Shapiro

PostFri Feb 03, 2023 2:34 am

Marc Wielage wrote:
Joe Shapiro wrote:I agree with Jim here that I can't imagine them getting rid of the Edit page. That would be a lot like what Apple did when they killed FCP7. Apple did it because they want to target iOS almost exclusively.

As far as I know, there's never been a version of FCPX for iOS, particularly not the iPad.

There's a long story about how programmer/designer Randy Ubillos created the first three versions of Premiere Pro, then got hired by Macromedia ...
It's interesting to reflect that Premiere, Final Cut Pro 7, iMovie, and FCPX were all created by the same guy. It just shows how drastically user-interface characteristics can change due to a whim or a personal preference by the part of the designer.

To me, Resolve has gone through a remarkable path over the last 20 years...

Hi Marc!
Good old Randy Ubillos! From the Macromedia wiki:
Ubillos originally worked at SuperMac Technology to develop software for its VideoSpigot video capture card.[2] He created a working demo of a QuickTime-based video editor called ReelTime in about 10 weeks while QuickTime was still in beta.[1] The ReelTime project was acquired by Adobe Systems in August 1991 and was released in December 1991 as Adobe Premiere 1.0.

Not sure what all this stuff has to do with our current discussion but it's interesting to look back and see where we've come from... and perhaps a bit of why.

Looks like maybe you were countering my claim that Apple axed FCP7 because it was too far away from their iphone (and ipad) core plans. That's another discussion and probably not relevant for this thread.

I am glad though that you brought up history. I recall - though I may be wrong - that Resolve 12 was the first time BMD put Resolve forth as an actual editing solution. Here's a quote from Grant Petty's letter at the start of the Resolve 12.5 manual:
Now, with DaVinci Resolve 12.5,
you get a complete set of professional editing and advanced color correction tools combined in
one application so you can edit and grade from start to finish, all in a single tool!
With its customizable interface and keyboard
shortcuts, DaVinci Resolve 12.5 is easy to learn, especially if you’re switching from another
editor, and has all of the tools you need to create breathtaking, high end work!

What I take away from this quote is that the intention of Grant and the Resolve team was absolutely the opposite of the "forget everything you know from other NLEs" advice that old-timers on this group espouse. BMD was explicitly trying to scoop up FCP7 editors who'd been recently abandoned by Apple. The last thing they'd want to do is force said people to learn a whole new way of doing things. That's Resolve Edit's DNA.

Are some of you suggesting that they intentionally did an about-face? I don't think they did. I think feature creep caused Resolve to stray from its intended goal and some perhaps-unwise decisions have remained in the product because it's faster to just live with them. Personally, I think it's time to go back to first principles and consolidate all these great features Resolve has such that they're accessed with an equally brilliant UI - one that's as intuitive, discoverable, and consistent as can be done in one major revision. That to me is the biggest bang for the dev buck that BMD could engage in.
Resolve 18.6.3

John Paines

PostFri Feb 03, 2023 2:52 am

Joe Shapiro wrote:What I take away from this quote is that the intention of Grant and the Resolve team was absolutely the opposite of the "forget everything you know from other NLEs" advice that old-timers on this group espouse.

I don't think that's a widely held view, even by Marc, it's just repeated a lot in some quarters. The origins of the Edit page are clearly routed in FCP, though even that's hard to say for sure, since all the Avid-based NLEs have so much in common. If you really had to start over with Resolve, nobody would be using it. The fact that you could jump right in with virtually any prior experience, made it instantly appealing.

Anyway, after v17(?) was released, there was a long thread of discontent about the seemingly stalled development of the Edit page (mainly lots of unaddressed obstacles and encumbrances), and Peter Chamberlain thanked the more constructive contributors, with their detailed lists. And with the stated intention of being an all-in-one solution, or at least (more probably) an Edting/Grading solution, there's no chance the Edit page will be abandoned, because nobody can cut long form on the Cut page, and long form or detailed editing was never the stated purpose of Cut.

Maybe v19.....

What's much more puzzling are the tireless objections, at least among some, to the databases..... I don't get what the fuss is about. As "adjustments" go, it's really quite painless, and that organizing principle has its virtues, even for the solo user.

Tekkerue

PostFri Feb 03, 2023 3:04 am

Joe Shapiro wrote:Personally, I think it's time to go back to first principles and consolidate all these great features Resolve has such that they're accessed with an equally brilliant UI - one that's as intuitive, discoverable, and consistent as can be done in one major revision. That to me is the biggest bang for the dev buck that BMD could engage in.
Absolutely! If BMD put all hands on deck (aside from bug fixes) for an update cycle or two, Resolve could be a really solid editor. That would be awesome.

flavioggarcia

PostFri Feb 03, 2023 8:54 am

Man, I'm a DaVinci Resolve instructor. Started teaching these things in 2004. I am a little bit familiar with the software.

;)

There is no reason whatsoever to not support JKL playback trimming in the Cut page. In the Cut page there is a Trim window, and you can trim frame by frame. So, why not support JKL playback trimming?

You are not understanding my point about Timeline Views. What we need is a way to modify Timeline View settings (video and audio heights, waveforms, track colors and names, etc.) and then save that as a preset. So I can swap between different presets.

Premiere does this. Media Composer does this.

It's a big thing when you have very complex timelines and you don't want to be re-arranging everything all the time. Very important for long form editors.

GalinMcMahon wrote:JKL are editing commands. They rightfully live in the edit page. The cut page isn't designed for editing, it's designed for cutting. "High end" editors won't edit on an ipad. They will edit in their "high end" editing suite on a capable desktop system. There are already source and timeline views in edit and you can already save timeline views (i.e. toggling between full timeline and zoomed in to your work area.) I would recommend familiarizing yourself with the software a bit more.

flavioggarcia

PostFri Feb 03, 2023 9:02 am

I would like to insist on one point:

Blackmagic said three years ago that we would see features from Cut come to Edit and vice-versa.

This was said in a video.

And it did not happen.

roger.magnusson

PostFri Feb 03, 2023 9:26 am

I think the pandemic and the need to work remotely might have steered resources into the cloud initiative instead. I have no insight but maybe the dev team varies in size over time as well.

Jim Simon

PostFri Feb 03, 2023 3:39 pm

Tekkerue wrote:don't delete transitions when moving a clip
That is very annoying. It's a bug that was squashed for a while, then came back.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Tekkerue

PostFri Feb 03, 2023 9:41 pm

Jim Simon wrote:
Tekkerue wrote:don't delete transitions when moving a clip

That is very annoying. It's a bug that was squashed for a while, then came back.
Yes it is! Resolve automatically deleting things is my top complaint about Resolve:
* Deleting clips when placed on top of each other (Layered Video Editing would solve this problem)
* Deleting transitions when moving a clip

How long has this bug been back? I've been using Resolve about a year and it's been doing this the entire time. Also, how did it used to behave when the bug was fixed?

Ideally, if an initial transition is 10 frames long:
1) Moving the second clip 2 frames to the right should decrease the transition to 8 frames.
2) Moving the second clip 2 frames to the left should increase the transition to 12 frames.
This is the way every editor I've ever other NLE/DAW I've used works, it's standardized behavior for crossfades and transitions.

If the clips are totally separated, Vegas Pro always stores the transition effect with the second clip, if that clip is overlapped with another clip then the transition effect is restored. It would be useful to have a setting in the Inspector under the Transition tab to select which clip to store the transition with.

Michel Rabe

PostFri Feb 03, 2023 10:05 pm

Very very good suggestions in this thread.

Andy Mees

PostFri Feb 03, 2023 10:21 pm

Here's my unsolicited and entirely biased Edit Page development precis ... plus a bunch of unfulfilled Feature Request dreams...

Resolve 10 (2013) - the 'Edit' page was nominally added, replacing the 'Conform' page ... at this point it's pretty bare bones: basic trim tools, basic titling etc. It's a start.

Resolve 11 (2014) - much refined and augmented, the Edit page is now touted as a 'full featured' online (not creative) editing solution with "over 70 new editing features based on feedback from professional editors" including JKL trimming, expansive keyboard shortcut control, keyframe spline controls in the timeline etc etc. It's going places.

Resolve 12 (2015) - a year on, another polished update, now with "80 new features for professional editing and color grading" including multi-cam editing support, dynamic (and asymmetric) trimming, OpenFX plugin support in the Edit page and media management tools. This is all good 'core' stuff needed to bring the toolset up to par. Impressive.

Resolve 12.5 (2016) - a banger of a release with "over 1,000 enhancements and 250 new features" the marketing team now touting it as "a complete professional editing solution" ... many editors, especially those who are already regularly round-tripping into Resolve for grading, are really starting to notice it. At this point are we lulled into false sense of security by the pace of development? Ha. Maybe.

Resolve 14 (2017) - introduces the Fairlight page, integrating their acquisition made the previous year. Adding a whole new page sees an obvious and necessary shift of major development focus. Things are still very definitely in progress with the Edit Page though, with improved perfomance, new multi-user collaboration support, new slip and slide trim commands, support for multiple bin windows, marker overlays, audio only and video only edit tools, subframe audio editing etc. For my work, the only real show stopper now is the lack of viable timecode overlays.

Resolve 15 (2018) - an absolute banger of a release - a huge update to Fairlight, as expected, plus the introduction of the much anticipated Fusion page. They've had Fusion in the portfolio for around 4 years now, so it's integration clearly took some time. But even with all that going on there's also "over 300 new features and improvements that editors and colorists requested." ... including the timecode overlays feature I was waiting for. Hurrah! Is it finished? Heck no. There is a massively long list of features and improvements that editors are requesting, and I'm happy to join that fray. But in the meantime there's definitely enough functionality to make it a viable choice. I cut a couple of documentaries using it. All good.

Resolve 16 (2019) - another massive Fairlight update, plus introduces the Cut page. The latter is not particularly useful for my work, so it takes the wind out of the sails a bit. Relatively speaking, the Edit page gets bugger all, so theres a bit of a sting. Feels like there are innovations in the Cut page that could have lent themselves well to editors working in the Edit page, like Source Tape, the birds eye mini timeline view etc so its not really clear why they are 'Cut page only'... but fair enough, only so many hours in the day, they'll likely be ported in a 16.x point release. Meanwhile, a few useful additions like Adjustment Clips and Ease controls take a bow. Not a total loss for Edit page users but this is, for me, perhaps the first genuinely disappointing release.

Resolve 17 (2021) - after a slightly longer wait, what with pandemics and all, we get "the biggest update in Fairlight history", so clearly thats still going gangbusters. :) Lots of other important stuff happening throughout the software too though. HDR, color management and 'Neural Engine' features are big ticket items for this release. Resolve is getting better and better. Useful improvements in the Cut Page, of course, it's still the new 'page' on the block... surprisingly, still nothing ported from the Cut page to the Edit page. Hmmm. What's that about? Similarly oddly, none of the massive work thats being going on in the Fairlight page these last few years seems to be making its way into the Edit page either. I'm wondering, why can Fairlight page users select timeline items using their Edit Index window and yet in the Edit page I can't? Or why can I lock track heights in Fairlight but not in Edit? Why does Fairlight have its own special 'Presets Library' but not Edit? I don't want to be ungrateful though. The new 'syncing in the timeline' is a great new Edit page function. And let's not forget 'Render in Place', very useful. Plenty of good stuff. So, happy editor? Sure... but let's just say, it feels like 'its been a while' for the Edit page now. The word 'stagnant' springs to mind, and I'm thinking that if I'm noticing then others probably are too. Roll on version 18.

Resolve 18 (2022) - honestly, just re-read the Resolve 17 summary, its pretty much the same. Another useful update for Fairlight, which is great. Importantly, Blackmagic Cloud takes a bow. Some good stuff is definitely happening with AI tools... but the Edit page... yeah, feels like its been on a drip feed for 4 years now. I see that I'm still required to use the Cut page to view Media Pool content in Source Tape mode. Seriously? That function was added 3 years ago, why can't I do this in the Edit page yet, and why not in the Media page? I still can't save a bunch of OFX effect settings or Inspector settings as a preset? I still have to enable 'Timecode Overlays' in the Viewer every time I launch Resolve? There's low hanging fruit everywhere but none of it is getting picked, and honestly, its beginning to feel like Edit page users, still dreaming of future functionality potential, are reduced to begging for these scraps. Ho hum.

------------------------------------------------

So anyway, I appreciate this is not the Feature Request forum, but just on the off chance, here are a few primarily Edit page suggestions that I made in the hope they would get into Resolve 15 (yes, back in the glory days, lol). They didn't make the cut then and have consistently fallen by the wayside ever since :

Add Mute and Solo controls to the Edit page Viewer > Audio Track panel and Media page Audio > Meters panel. [Currently, audio channels can only be disabled/enabled/switched via the modal Clip Attributes window > Audio tab. Source side auditioning of audio channels is a nightmare.]

Add a keyboard modifier function to toggle trim behaviour in currently selected mode ie to ‘ripple edit’ whilst in Selection Mode and ‘resize edit’ whilst in Trim Mode.

Add the ability to select clips in the Timeline via selection in the Edit Index ... the same as now in Fairlight.

In the Viewer panel, when displaying Audio, allow the user to mark an in/out range by ‘click and dragging’ directly in the ‘zoomed’ waveform display area in the Viewer window.

In the Viewer panel, when displaying Audio, add a method to allow users to move/scroll/scrub the ‘zoomed’ waveform display area by dragging within that area. [Like using a ‘hand’ tool.]

Add the ability to select a single folder in the Media Pool ‘Bin List’ and see all clips contained in that bin and any sub bins at any level. [At the moment this only works if selecting more than one bin in the Bin List.]

In the Edit Index, default ‘Filter by’ selection should be ‘All Fields' (or 'Name'), not '#' (edit index number). [Times have changed... the page is not called 'Conform' any more.]

Fewer restrictions on the display names for Bins would be appreciated. [Currently only a limited alphanumeric character set is allowed for bin naming. Not my most wished for 'wish', but I'd like it nonetheless.]

Allow user mappable keyboard shortcuts for switching Timeline View Options, Video View Options and Audio View Options.

In the Timeline panel, when using Stacked Timelines, add a method to quickly expand and collapse stacks.

Show Timeline ‘Marker Names’ within the Edit Index ‘Name’ field. [At present it is presented in the Notes field. Appreciate the newly ported Markers Index panel, of course, but would still like to see an effort to fix this in the main index.]

Extended clip usage data / navigation in the Media Pool. [Currently we can only reveal and navigate instances in the active timeline.]

In the Deliver Page, add the ability to enable / disable timeline tracks for output, and recall and apply those settings in the render queue.

------------------------------------------------

And here are a few more recent edit page requests:

Make all settings 'sticky'. If I set something, then I want it to stay that way until I set it differently. I don't want it to revert to some other setting just because I shut my computer down for the weekend.

Rename the 'Boring Detector' to something less risible. It's not a bad function, its just stupidly named. Call it what it is, 'Shot Length Analysis' or some such, and enable it wherever it could be useful.

Generate and display a loudness history plot when performing loudness analysis via 'Analyze Audio Levels' and/or add a faster-than-real-time 'Generate Loudness Print' function for the master bus.

Make Sound Libraries more functionally browsable.

Add basic shape masking in the Edit Page, including a polygon mask. [I have no issues jumping into Color or Fusion to do this, but I shouldn't have to.]

Add an onscreen overlay/indicator when what you are viewing is a proxy clip.

Add a dual screen mode to the Cut page, with Media Pool on the separate display.

Add Smart Bin functionality to the Cut Page. [Source Tape view of a Smart Bin would be great!]

Add Edit Index to the Color Page.

Add ability to search (and replace) text on a subtitle track.

Add ability to export Edit Index from the Edit Index window.

Collapse and expand Power Bin and Smart Bin display by clicking the header/label... I don't want to turn them off, I just don't need to see their contents at all times.

Add ability to adjust audio/keyframes in Edit page on the fly ie during playback (like in Fairlight).

Add the ability to select a track in Edit, just the same as you can select to target a track in Fairlight.

Make active selection (clip or track) always the prioritised target for any/every operation. 'Auto Track Selector' is fine for when there is no user specified target/selection present... but if and when a user has explicitly targeted/selected a track/clip then that target should take precedence.

Add keyboard shortcuts for Volume Up/Down.

When targeting multiple clips, make the 'Enable Clip' function a toggle that respects the status of each targeted clip individually, like it works in the Fusion page... or add such a user preference option.

Add ability to change starting timecode of a multicam clip.

Add a function to export stills from the Edit page Source and Timeline Viewers.

Add support for drag and drop video track re-ordering in the Edit page Track Index window... it already works for audio tracks.

If possible, consider adding double (and triple) tap keyboard shortcut options to the regular keyboard customization window.

Make the Edit page Timeline window timecode display field editable/actionable (ie same functionality as is possible in the Viewer window... just let me do it in the Timeline window so i don't have to change window/panel focus).

Fix the atrocious and nonsensical front end on the Edit page Transform > Position system. Do as you please on the back end, just make it more sensible on the front end.

Add the ability to show a clips used frames in the Source Viewer, same as is visible in its Media Pool thumbnail view.

Add Waveform Zoom control (per Fairlight) for tracks in the Edit page timeline, plus importantly, add a visual representation that indicates the current zoom level if and when applied.

Add ability to do a virtual 'Decompose in Place' in the timeline ie be able to see and edit the contents temporarily in context.

Add a Clips/Lightbox view (per Color page) to the Edit page Edit Index

Delete Empty Tracks should ignore locked tracks. If it's locked it's locked, that status should be respected.

When adding 'Timeline Markers' in a timeline, those markers should be immediately visible in that timeline's Media Pool instance. [A timeline marker in a timeline is not an 'instance', it is absolute, like adding a marker to a source clip in the Source Viewer]

Add keyboard shortcut options to switch between recent clips in the Source Viewer.

In the Viewers, add a 'Source Offset' timecode display option, effectively providing a means to view Source Frame in 'timecode' format.

Smart Bin search criteria for Media Pool Properties & Metadata - Clip Details is riddled with missing items and inconsistent naming... and its not a new thing, perhaps it should be fixed?

For goodness sakes, fix all the non alphabetic context menu lists throughout the app... they are a living hell to use. Please.

Add the ability to remove all tracks when working in Clip Attributes > Audio tab ... alt/opt click on the trash icon would do it. Having to manually delete 16 mono channels of audio in order to repatch as 1 stereo channel is unnecessarily tiresome. [Also how about adding audio mapping presets?]

Add a checker underlay option (per Fusion page) to the Edit Page Timeline Viewer window.

Add finer playback speed adjustments via standard keyboard transport controls.

Add a wider range of filtering options in the Edit Index (eg Stabilzation) and allow filters to be combined eg Show Flag > Blue + Show Offline Clips ie show only blue flagged clips that are offline.

A big picture one ... bring Fusion page 'Spline window' functionality to the Edit page 'Curve Editor'.

Improve general file 'relink' matching (not reconform) to include options other than Filename eg Timecode, Duration etc.

Jim Simon

PostSat Feb 04, 2023 2:51 am

Tekkerue wrote:How long has this bug been back?
Not sure if it showed back up in 18 again, or reared it's head before that in 17.

how did it used to behave when the bug was fixed?
Moving the clip kept the transition. Unless, of course, it was a Centered transition and the two clips were no longer contiguous. In that case it would go away, which is what I consider the correct behavior.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Tekkerue

PostSat Feb 04, 2023 6:45 am

Jim Simon wrote:
Tekkerue wrote:How long has this bug been back?

Not sure if it showed back up in 18 again, or reared it's head before that in 17.
I've been using Resolve for about a year (v17) and I noticed it immediately when I first started using Resolve. It's been back a while then.

how did it used to behave when the bug was fixed?

Moving the clip kept the transition. Unless, of course, it was a Centered transition and the two clips were no longer contiguous. In that case it would go away, which is what I consider the correct behavior.
Did the transition change its length as you moved the clip? Here is an example from Vegas Pro where he drags one clip onto the other and the crossfade/transition automatically changes its length as the second clip is moved around. (Jump to 1:16)

If that's the behavior Resolve used to have, then yes, I'd love to have that back. If they still have that code in an older version, then that would give them head start on fixing it again. They could even add it as an option, an Auto-crossfade button to enable that behavior and when disabled it would behave as it currently does.

Side note: even when Vegas Pro's Auto-crossfade mode is disabled, it still never deletes the clip underneath like Resolve does. Maybe this could be a separate options in the preferences, something like "Clip: Delete on Overlap"? When it's disabled then the clips underneath are not deleted/cropped.

I really don't like Resolve deleting anything without my explicit say so, but for those who are used to the current behavior a setting in the preferences would make everyone happy. As long as I can change it, then I'm cool with that. :)

Andy Mees wrote:Here's my unsolicited and entirely biased Edit Page development precis ... plus a bunch of unfulfilled Feature Request dreams...
That is a fantastic list Andy. Bravo!! Buttons for Mute and Solo is another big one for me too, but I forgot to mention that before.

Steve Alexander

PostSat Feb 04, 2023 3:02 pm

Yep - really great list, Andy.
Time Traveller
Resolve Studio 18.6.6 | Fusion Studio 18.6.6 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4

Jim Simon

PostSat Feb 04, 2023 3:04 pm

Tekkerue wrote:Did the transition change its length as you moved the clip?

What I'm referring to here is when Start or End at Cut transitions would completely disappear on certain move operations.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Tekkerue

PostSun Feb 05, 2023 5:52 am

Jim Simon wrote:
Tekkerue wrote:Did the transition change its length as you moved the clip?

What I'm referring to here is when Start or End at Cut transitions would completely disappear on certain move operations.
Yes, that is also what I'm referring to.

To help illustrate, I'll use the GIF's I made from my feature request thread: viewtopic.php?f=33&t=156523
This is from #2 in that thread.

Resolve: the transition is deleted when trying to move either clip (even just one frame):

Vegas Pro: the transition is resized while moving either clip. When the clips are separated the transition is stored with the 2nd clip and when the clips are overlapped again the transition is restored.

Did Resolve used to work like this when the bug was fixed, or was it different? This is the way I would like it to work (with the added option of choosing which clip to store the transition with in the Inspector).

Jim Simon

PostSun Feb 05, 2023 5:37 pm

I actually find the Resolve behavior correct in those examples. I would want to keep that, rather than switch to Vegas behavior.

But Centered at Cut transitions isn't what I'm referring to here. Only Star or End at Cut.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Tekkerue

PostMon Feb 06, 2023 12:04 am

Jim Simon wrote:I actually find the Resolve behavior correct in those examples. I would want to keep that, rather than switch to Vegas behavior.

But Centered at Cut transitions isn't what I'm referring to here. Only Star or End at Cut.
Are you only referring to what happens when the clips are completely separated?

Because, I'm also talking about not deleting the transition while the clips are still overlapped. In this image from Vegas Pro the original transition was 20 frames, then I moved the second clip (blue clip) to the right 5 frames, and now the transition is 15 frames.
Vegas Editing.png
Vegas Editing.png (6.59 KiB) Viewed 6613 times

In Resolve, the transition would be completely deleted after moving the clip only one frame, even though the clips were never separated. While the clips are still overlapping, there is no reason to completely delete the transition. This is one of the behaviors I want Resolve to stop doing.

Marc Wielage

PostMon Feb 06, 2023 1:14 am

Tekkerue wrote:In Resolve, the transition would be completely deleted after moving the clip only one frame, even though the clips were never separated. While the clips are still overlapping, there is no reason to completely delete the transition. This is one of the behaviors I want Resolve to stop doing.

Well, a lot of this boils down to, "the program I used to use did things this way; I want Resolve to change and do it the way I'm used to."

Bear in mind there's over a million Resolve users, and you'd basically be telling them, "I think my needs are more important than what you're used to -- I want it changed to what makes me comfortable." Objectively, does that seem selfish to you?

The alternative is for you to change your own paradigm and get used to the way Resolve does it. I bet if we went down the list, there might be over 100 differences between Resolve and Vegas, or Resolve and Premiere, or Resolve and Avid. Where do you start? Where do you stop?

Andy Mees wrote:Here's my unsolicited and entirely biased Edit Page development precis ... plus a bunch of unfulfilled Feature Request dreams...

You could always post this list on the DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests section:

viewforum.php?f=33

Tekkerue

PostMon Feb 06, 2023 2:30 am

Marc Wielage wrote:Well, a lot of this boils down to, "the program I used to use did things this way; I want Resolve to change and do it the way I'm used to."
Actually, what this boils down to is I have experienced both ways of editing and I do not like Resolve's editing. Period. If Resolve's way was better, then I would embrace the better method. I used Samplitude for about 18 years and then made the change to Reaper. Reaper is extremely customizable so the behavior I liked in Samplitude I could setup in Reaper, plus Reaper did many things better and in those cases I embraced Reaper's better methods. Moving to Reaper was a great experience overall. There are a couple things I still miss from Samplitude, but that's about it.

Bear in mind there's over a million Resolve users, and you'd basically be telling them, "I think my needs are more important than what you're used to -- I want it changed to what makes me comfortable." Objectively, does that seem selfish to you?
Bear in mind that I proposed them as an OPTIONS that can be enabled or disabled. Objectively, does that still seem "selfish" to you? :roll:

Here is what I said:
"If that's the behavior Resolve used to have, then yes, I'd love to have that back. If they still have that code in an older version, then that would give them head start on fixing it again. They could even add it as an option, an Auto-crossfade button to enable that behavior and when disabled it would behave as it currently does.

Side note: even when Vegas Pro's Auto-crossfade mode is disabled, it still never deletes the clip underneath like Resolve does. Maybe this could be a separate options in the preferences, something like "Clip: Delete on Overlap"? When it's disabled then the clips underneath are not deleted/cropped."

Also, this:
It would be useful to have a setting in the Inspector under the Transition tab to select which clip to store the transition with.

Every one of my suggestions have been proposed as OPTIONS, that way those who are used to the current method don't have to change their workflow. You don't want to be forced into a workflow that you don't like and the same goes for me. I'm saying both of us should have the option to work in a way that is comfortable to each of us, that's not "selfish".

Joe Shapiro

PostMon Feb 06, 2023 2:34 am

Sometimes there's a good reason for a difference.
Sometimes things are different and it's just taste.
Sometimes things are "done better" in another program.
Sometimes there's a defacto standard and bucking it is painful for users.

Each of these cases is distinct.
Change requests should be - and hopefully are - evaluated with each of these groupings in mind.
Resolve 18.6.3

Tekkerue

PostMon Feb 06, 2023 3:15 am

Joe Shapiro wrote:Sometimes there's a good reason for a difference.
Sometimes things are different and it's just taste.
Sometimes things are "done better" in another program.
Sometimes there's a defacto standard and bucking it is painful for users.

Each of these cases is distinct.
Change requests should be - and hopefully are - evaluated with each of these groupings in mind.
Absolutely! And I would also add, can the change request be implemented as an option without affecting current behavior? Long time Resolve users clearly object to having their workflow changed, which is fine and I totally understand that... but what I don't understand is why they frequently object to us "new users" having the option to work in a way that is also comfortable to us too. Reaper is a perfect example of how focusing on customization and allowing different workflows can be done really well. I hope Resolve follows along that path.

Marc Wielage

PostMon Feb 06, 2023 7:16 am

Tekkerue wrote:Actually, what this boils down to is I have experienced both ways of editing and I do not like Resolve's editing. Period.

That's great. Maybe Resolve is not for you. As long as I've been using Resolve, there are things I still don't like about it. There are still (very minor) bugs in the program from 10-12 years ago that still exist. Is it a deal-breaker for me? No. I just keep on working and stay as productive as I can, and I worry more about keeping my clients happy.

I do drop a line to BMD Support every so often and say, "hey, I'd love for this button to do that instead," but I don't demand they do it, nor do I sulk if the change doesn't happen immediately. On a big corporate software level, I get that sometimes, they're trying to put out 150 fires where there are major issues that result in catastrophic crashes, and those have to be addressed first. So I get that a lot of these feature suggestions get put on a list, and maybe they'll get to them someday, and maybe not. Or a future feature will go around the problem and give me an alternate way to accomplish the same thing.

Note that I've been working around editing (at least to the side in camera and post) for nearly 50 years -- going back to film -- so I've pretty much seen and done everything: Sony BVU, CMX, Grass Valley, Media 100, EditDroid, LaserEdit, Avid, Bosch Mach 1, Ediflex, Montage... the list is endless. I've seen a lot come and go. To me, change is inevitable, and I think the more you adapt, the better chance you have of surviving.

Andy Mees

PostMon Feb 06, 2023 10:53 am

Marc Wielage wrote:You could always post this list on the DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests section
You misunderstand Marc, in my opinion, this thread is not about any specific feature request, nor was it intended to be. That long list in my earlier post is presented to illustrate that there is plenty of room for a great deal more development in the Edit page, not just in core functionality but also in consistency. From an end user perspective, for the last 5 years, Edit page development seems to have been pretty much in 'maintenance mode' while primary development is focussed elsewhere That's fair. But like the thread opener, I'm expressing my concern that the lack of attention in the Edit page is starting to show. The Edit page is not part of Resolve's mature design (like the Color page for example). It was rushed into being, and brilliantly so... but it's still young, it also still needs care. Big and glamorous marketing features are great, but it's the little things that make the daily driving experience comfortable and productive. How about a special Edit page 10 year anniversary update? Go on. You know it makes sense. ;)
Let's have a return to the glory days, when press releases for new versions included text like "...with over 300 new features and improvements that professional editors and colorists have asked for."

Jim Simon

PostMon Feb 06, 2023 3:50 pm

Tekkerue wrote:Are you only referring to what happens when the clips are completely separated?
Mostly, yes.

I do recall there being a shortcut you could hold down which would add transitions when you overlap clips by dragging. I thought that might produce the behavior you want in this situation as well, but I couldn't recall (or suss out) the shortcuts.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Andy Mees

PostMon Feb 06, 2023 4:01 pm

Alt/Opt + Shift and drag, if I remember correctly.
Let's have a return to the glory days, when press releases for new versions included text like "...with over 300 new features and improvements that professional editors and colorists have asked for."

roger.magnusson

PostMon Feb 06, 2023 4:03 pm

Yes, that's Shift+Alt in Resolve, but no it doesn't do what Vegas Pro does where you can start dragging overlapped clips apart and it adjusts the overlap.

I do miss a lot of the editing features that Vegas brought to the table. It completely dropped the outdated paradigm where NLE:s tried to replicate the experience of editing physical film.

https://www.redsharknews.com/production/item/4935-how-vegas-pro-rocked-the-nle-world

Jim Simon

PostMon Feb 06, 2023 4:06 pm

Tekkerue wrote:can the change request be implemented as an option without affecting current behavior?
My thinking is that Resolve would become overly bloated with all the 'options' people want. (Including me.)

Sometimes there should be just one way for everyone, like it or not. I think this is such a time.

I find the current behavior of Centered transitions to be functional.

It's only the disappearing Start or End transitions that need correction. (18.1.3 didn't solve this.)
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Tekkerue

PostTue Feb 07, 2023 3:52 am

Marc Wielage wrote:
Tekkerue wrote:Actually, what this boils down to is I have experienced both ways of editing and I do not like Resolve's editing. Period.

That's great. Maybe Resolve is not for you.
Or maybe I love the Fusion page, Color page, the quality of the effects, and most importantly the quality of the final result and that's why Resolve IS for me. I bought the Studio version about three weeks into it trying out the Free version and also got the Speed Editor with it.

I have zero expectation that Vegas Pro could ever catch up to Resolve, but I certainly believe that Resolve could catch and even surpass Vegas as an editor with significantly less effort. Many of my feature requests are merely tweaks to what already exists inside of Resolve, so they wouldn't have to start from scratch by developing brand new features from nothing. I am a programmer myself, so I am also sympathetic to software development issues.

For some reason, you seem to have a problem with my feature request... so can you explain specifically why it should not be implemented as an option?

If I've spent time creating custom Fusion transitions on the start/end of a clip, but moving the clip around even slightly totally wipes both of my transitions out. Why shouldn't I have an option to turn this terrible behavior off? When I want to delete a transition, I select the transition and hit the DELETE key. That's what the delete key is for and this is very straight forward. How is having to tread on eggshells because Resolve deletes things if I look at it the wrong way a better way to work than not having to worry about this at all? If I want to slide a clip over a few frames, I can just slide it over a few frames and my transitions are all still there. No problem. Why is it wrong of me to ask for this behavior as an option? Especially when every other editor I've used has this option (aside from my very first DAW Cakewalk Pro Audio 9, which was a destructive editor). Please enlighten me.

Jim Simon wrote:I do recall there being a shortcut you could hold down which would add transitions when you overlap clips by dragging. I thought that might produce the behavior you want in this situation as well, but I couldn't recall (or suss out) the shortcuts.
Yeah, I am familiar with Shift+Alt and it works exactly as I want, but only once for the first overlap. If the clips are separated then Shift+Alt while dragging over another clip will do an auto-crossfade. But once you let go of the clip and they are crossfaded you cannot get this behavior back again and Shift+Alt doesn't work anymore. Auto-crossfade mode will always use this behavior when moving clips, even if they're already crossfaded which is exactly the behavior I want. Auto-crossfade is a standard feature and there is usually a button in the toolbar to enable/disable it. Here are a couple screenshots from Reaper (top) and Vegas Pro (bottom).
Auto-Crossfade (Reaper & Vegas Pro).png
Auto-Crossfade (Reaper & Vegas Pro).png (9.96 KiB) Viewed 6008 times

Jim Simon wrote:My thinking is that Resolve would become overly bloated with all the 'options' people want. (Including me.) Sometimes there should be just one way for everyone, like it or not. I think this is such a time.
I'm still not sure if we're talking about the same feature at the moment, because I'm focusing on auto-crossfade right now. The images I provided above show how simple it is to put an auto-crossfade button in the toolbar. Auto-crossfade is a standard feature and it should be included in Resolve too.

Reaper is my primary DAW and I can safely say that Reaper has more customization options than Resolve will ever have (that's not diss on Resolve, but Reaper has an unfathomable amount of customization options that no other editor can touch) and from experience I can say that your thinking of "becoming overly boated with options" is objectively wrong. You can download the free demo of Reaper (the demo is fully functional and doesn't expire) and experience it for yourself. That should change your mind.

Reaper is extremely light weight, fast, stable and efficient, the installer is under 15MB (yes, that's megabytes!), it runs circles around my former DAW Samplitude because even with the exact same plugins I can get much lower latency in Reaper without audio pops/dropouts (very important for me as I play guitar through amp sims and effects), the developer even did a live demo running Reaper and all the project files from a USB thumbdrive on a laptop, etc. There has been no negative impact on the performance or "bloating" in Reaper despite all of its customization options. I haven't even used a fraction of these options and their existence inside the program hasn't bothered me at all.

Marc Wielage

PostTue Feb 07, 2023 4:15 am

Jim Simon wrote:My thinking is that Resolve would become overly bloated with all the 'options' people want. (Including me.) Sometimes there should be just one way for everyone, like it or not. I think this is such a time. I find the current behavior of Centered transitions to be functional. It's only the disappearing Start or End transitions that need correction. (18.1.3 didn't solve this.)

I think I can agree with that. I've been told by BMD before at NAB, "well, that's a good idea, but we've got X thousand other users who want it the other way." Very hard to argue with that. Resolve is not "all things to all people" -- it's a specific market, and I get that they have to appeal to a lot of users beyond what I specifically use it for, or for the way I think.

Tekkerue

PostTue Feb 07, 2023 5:28 am

Marc Wielage wrote:
Jim Simon wrote:My thinking is that Resolve would become overly bloated with all the 'options' people want.

I think I can agree with that. I've been told by BMD before at NAB, "well, that's a good idea, but we've got X thousand other users who want it the other way." Very hard to argue with that.
Actually, it's not hard to argue with at all. Like I have already mentioned, Reaper has more customization options than Resolve will ever have while remaining extremely lightweight, stable and efficient. This is precisely what you two keep claiming cannot possibly be done, but you both are objectively wrong because it has already been done and done very well. Maybe the two of you should download the free demo version (fully functional and doesn't expire) to experience it for yourselves for a little while? Then come back and tell us how it cannot possibly be done.

Resolve is not "all things to all people"
Why not? Isn't that the whole point of having editing, cutting, audio, color, compositing, etc. in a single application? To be an all encompassing one-stop solution for a variety of different tasks and appeal to a lot of different workflows?

But just for the sake of argument, let's assume you are correct that Resolve currently is not an "all things to all people" application... what is to stop Resolve from becoming that? Remember, Resolve used to be only for professional color grading and the long-time professional colorists could have made your exact arguments against expanding Resolve to including editing, audio, compositing, etc. "Resolve is a professional color grading tool only, it's not all things to all people. It is a specific market...blah blah blah". How would you respond to those kinds of arguments? Don't these sound like like really bad arguments given how far Resolve has developed now? There is nothing stopping Resolve from becoming more customizable, more flexible, and more accommodating to different workflows so we all can be efficient and comfortable using the application.

it's a specific market
Are professional studios using iPads now? The iPad app certainly gives me the impression that they are trying to reach broader audience. Resolve is no longer exclusively for professional color grading, their market has expanded and I hope it will continue to expand.

Joe Shapiro

PostTue Feb 07, 2023 5:49 am

Tekkerue wrote:
Resolve is not "all things to all people"
Why not? Isn't that the whole point of having editing, cutting, audio, color, compositing, etc. in a single application? To be an all encompassing one-stop solution for a variety of different tasks and appeal to a lot of different workflows?
There is nothing stopping Resolve from becoming more customizable, more flexible, and more accommodating to different workflows so we all can be efficient and comfortable using the application.

I'm right there with you Sean. Also want to note that there are good and bad ways to add options. It CAN be overwhelming if not done carefully and with great consistency.

I'm going to download Reaper and take a look!
Resolve 18.6.3

rNeil H

PostTue Feb 07, 2023 6:10 am

While on many things Marc and I come from or to similar conclusions, on this I'm in the other group.

Do I want Resolve to become like Premiere, my current main app, in every way?

Hades no!

But though some things in Resolve are wondrous, there are quite a few things that I would really push for changes.

Such as the Edit page. That long list of changes a few posts back was a delightful read I must say!

And as always, that locked down UI is not useful for me. I've repeatedly been told that it always has everything you need ready for you and is perfectly designed that way.

Well ... I constantly go through subpanels and context menus to get to what I need, while "main" UI space is taken by things I don't use very often.

Premiere can certainly waste screen space in places. But at least I can customize things so the tools I want for the task I'm doing are front and center.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Joe Shapiro

PostTue Feb 07, 2023 7:25 am

Just looked at Reaper. From the intro videos I can see that it's extremely regular and consistent so its many settings are much easier to navigate and predict. Very nice quality in a UI.
Resolve 18.6.3

Tekkerue

PostTue Feb 07, 2023 7:27 am

Joe Shapiro wrote:Also want to note that there are good and bad ways to add options. It CAN be overwhelming if not done carefully and with great consistency.
I'm going to download Reaper and take a look!

I totally agree. The way Reaper handled this with their Action List is really ingenious. It is one of the core components to Resolve's flexibility. It provides a searchable list for every single action in the program, you can create scripts or download script packs and all of these show up in the same Action List. You can create custom actions by combining multiple actions together (using branch statements) and the custom Actions also show up in the Action list as their own actions, which can again be combined with other actions... it just goes on and on. The amount of stuff you can do with this is crazy.

Then Options -> Preferences -> Editing Behavior -> Mouse Modifiers allows you to customize literally everything about the mouse button. The "Context" dropdown list has everywhere you can click inside of Reaper (the list is huge), the mouse action has click/drag/double-click, then the function keys (Ctrl, Shift, Alt, Win), you can assign any action from the Action list to any of these.

Users (who are not affilated with Reaper) have even developed entire new sections for Reaper like a detailed track-view side panel, which doesn't currently exist in Reaper. Users have developed fantastic audio effects for Reaper using Reaper's audio programming language (there is also a wrapper to use Reaper effects in other DAWs too). Reaper has shown what is possible when attention is put into customization and Reaper still runs like a champ.

Have fun with Reaper. I'm interested to hear your thoughts after trying it out for a while and see what features you think Resolve could "borrow" ;) from as well.

rNeil H wrote:Do I want Resolve to become like Premiere, my current main app, in every way?
Hades no!
Absolutely! I'm certainly not asking for Resolve to become just like Vegas Pro (or any other application) in every way... but for certain things, especially regarding editing and customization, then absolutely I would love for Resolve take from applications which have done it better. Many of these things are standard across many applications and adopting standard editing features that have withstood the test of time is a benefit to everyone. Not just for the long-time Resolve users, but for those coming to Resolve from other editors. Forcing people into a subpar uncomfortable workflow doesn't make for happy users.

Tekkerue

PostTue Feb 07, 2023 7:44 am

Joe Shapiro wrote:Just looked at Reaper. From the intro videos I can see that it's extremely regular and consistent so its many settings are much easier to navigate and predict. Very nice quality in a UI.
Yeah, it's very consistent and intuitive. These four cover the bases really well for accessing the various settings.
1) Actions -> Show actions list
2) View
3) Options -> Preferences
4) File -> Project settings

The last three are pretty standard, the only unique one to Reaper is Actions (but it has its own menu at the top, so it's easy to find) and it's a core component to all the insane stuff you can do in Reaper.

Even with all of the specific and niche settings, it's still well laid out. You might have to look up what certain settings actually do, but most of the time I just leave them alone unless I notice something I'd like to change while using the program or come across something cool in a video.

Joe Shapiro

PostTue Feb 07, 2023 8:21 am

Great! I think I found my new DAW. Been meaning to give it a try and it looks really well done and really well supported.

About to edit a bunch of podcasts so I'll soon give it the sink or swim test.
Resolve 18.6.3

Marc Wielage

PostTue Feb 07, 2023 11:10 am

rNeil H wrote:And as always, that locked down UI is not useful for me. I've repeatedly been told that it always has everything you need ready for you and is perfectly designed that way. Well ... I constantly go through subpanels and context menus to get to what I need, while "main" UI space is taken by things I don't use very often.

Have you tried the Speed Editor or the Editor Keyboard? Both of those have a lot of shortcuts otherwise unavailable, and you can get pretty fast on them.

Ken.Rennie

PostTue Feb 07, 2023 7:26 pm

Thanks, folks.

I came for the chili, and stayed for the strawberry shortcake!

Errr… for the Edit Page and the DAW, respectively.

Do I remember that external links are restricted on this forum? There’s a good outline of REAPER on Wikipedia.
- -
Because I have been asked this scores of times, this link explains how to access all the Resolve pages on iPads:
https://www.provideocoalition.com/unlock-all-the-resolve-for-ipad-pages/

Comments by BM’s Peter Chamberlain, included.
Next

Return to DaVinci Resolve