Clone/Stamp feature request

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

BillRandolph

Clone/Stamp feature request

PostWed Feb 01, 2023 5:22 pm

Hello, I'm currently a Premier/After Effects user. My specialty is restoration and upscaling of old rock videos using artificial intelligence. I've done work for Blondie, and John Mellencamp.
Examples of my work can be seen on the BlondieMusicOfficial channel on YouTube, any of the "Remastered in HD" videos (even though they say they were posted in 2009, they have been updated).

I would love to try Resolve, as I've heard so many good things about it. Most of the plugins I use support it too (BorisFX, FlickerFree, Neat Video, etc). But there is one area Resolve falls quite short of After Effects: Clone/Stamp.

I rely so heavily on Clone/Stamp to repair video issues, I cannot even describe how much. Frequently in these old videos, there is damage that appears on one frame, or possibly two. AE's Clone/Stamp lets me copy pixels from one video frame (anywhere in the video) onto another, making much easier to simply erase the glitch. (I cannot duplicate frames to cover glitches, because Universal Music does not accept submissions with duplicate frames.)

AE's Clone/Stamp lets me control whether the clone source point is fixed in time, or relative to the current frame; it lets me select opacity of the stamp, hardness, size (I think Resolve supports that). It lets me stretch out one single stamp across specific frames that I select. It lets me select a blend mode for the stamp: Full, luminosity, color, etc.

So, if Resolve supported this, I would seriously be able to consider switching.
I'm really tired of blue screens & crashes, compatibility issues, etc. Would SO much love to try Resolve.
Please :)
Last edited by BillRandolph on Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Andy Mees

Re: Clone/Stamp feature request

PostWed Feb 01, 2023 8:02 pm

Check out the Paint tool in in the Fusion Page ... specifically, have a look its Apply Mode options.
You can also check out the Dust Buster OFX and Patch Replacer OFX.
Let's have a return to the glory days, when press releases for new versions included text like "...with over 300 new features and improvements that professional editors and colorists have asked for."

panos_mts

PostWed Feb 01, 2023 8:31 pm

BillRandolph wrote:Frequently in these old videos, there is damage that appears on one frame, or possibly two.
In addition to what Andy said, there is also the "Frame Replacer" effect that you might find useful.
You can use it to mark unwanted frames and replace them. If you set the "Replacement Method" to Optical Flow, it will generate new in-between frames by using optical flow.

There is a video demonstration in the following thread:
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=146168&p=782983

Igor Riđanović

PostWed Feb 01, 2023 8:41 pm

Also what about that automatic dust and scratch removal tool?
www.metafide.com - DaVinci Resolve™ Apps

Return to DaVinci Resolve