Vector Graphic Animation: is Fusion the right way?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

adam_quadmon

Vector Graphic Animation: is Fusion the right way?

PostWed Feb 01, 2023 5:32 pm

I'm working on some logos animations.

Currently I have a PSD with some layers containing vector shapes.

I imported the PSD in some Fusion Compositions and merged the layers I needed to the respective mediaOutput.
Then I the edit page I added some transitions to the Fusion Compositions and grouped the all in a Compound Clip to use in other timelines.

Maybe it will be best to convert the PSD layers as SVG and animate them instead.

But Fusion Compositions can not be added to Power Bins and the PSD and SVG imports looks quite heavy to process.

The Edit Page looks faster and easier to me than Fusion to create some basic animations so unless I need to zoom-in to an element I can just rasterize the vector and use the image in the timeline (as the SVG itself wont be imported in the media bin). But sure I have to improve my Fusion knowledge as being also a software developer I'm interested in the possibility to "scritp" a fusion composition as a text file.

Do you have some tips for such kind of Fusion animations? The question is: am I asking Davinci and Fusion too much? Maybe there are other softwares for vector graphic animations.

:ugeek:

Igor Riđanović

Re: Vector Graphic Animation: is Fusion the right way?

PostWed Feb 01, 2023 6:42 pm

I don't think Fusion is the best tool for purely vector based animation. You can do it, and it may not be too complex if the piece is short.

The edit page is incapable of handling vector shapes. Also, manipulating animation curves is atrociously limited in the edit page. For this reason alone I'd use Fusion page for all but the simplest of animations.

Fusion comps are very scriptable. You should also be aware of expressions, macros, and Fuses. Their respective domains overlap somewhat and it's important to understand what they do in order to use the best approach for the task.
www.metafide.com - DaVinci Resolve™ Apps

adam_quadmon

Re: Vector Graphic Animation: is Fusion the right way?

PostThu Feb 02, 2023 9:00 am

Thanks Igos

Igor Riđanović wrote:I don't think Fusion is the best tool for purely vector based animation. You can do it, and it may not be too complex if the piece is short.

Maybe for a simple logo animation I can stay with fusion. What software do you suggest for complex vectorials animations? There was the open source project Natron, but the development come to an end.
Nuke is too expansive. Is After Effect the right way?

Return to DaVinci Resolve