Masking a Region from Grade?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Gabi Bucataru

Masking a Region from Grade?

PostWed Feb 01, 2023 9:42 pm

Hi all!

So, I have a grade on a clip, but I need a certain region to NOT be affected by it (was an added VFX). Is there a way I can bypass that with a powergrade?

Thank you!
Resolve 18.6.2 Studio * WIN10 Pro 64-bit * intel core i7-7700K CPU 4.20Ghz * 32 Gb RAM * NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti *

Marc Wielage

Re: Masking a Region from Grade?

PostThu Feb 02, 2023 1:17 am

Gabi Bucataru wrote:Hi all! So, I have a grade on a clip, but I need a certain region to NOT be affected by it (was an added VFX). Is there a way I can bypass that with a powergrade?

Yes, that's one of the uses of Power Windows. It's all covered in the free manuals and tutorials.

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/produc ... e/training
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Gabi Bucataru

PostThu Feb 02, 2023 3:20 pm

Marc Wielage wrote:
Gabi Bucataru wrote:Hi all! So, I have a grade on a clip, but I need a certain region to NOT be affected by it (was an added VFX). Is there a way I can bypass that with a powergrade?

Yes, that's one of the uses of Power Windows. It's all covered in the free manuals and tutorials.

Thanks Marc!
I looked through the manual and honestly wasn't able to find that specific answer. I hoped to buy some time and see if anyone had a quick answer to this.

BUT - a friend colorist mentioned that in an ideal world, the client should have provided a matte to go with that vfx shot.
So his fix was to duplicate the clip in the timeline and place it above on a track. Then on the color page (on the top clip) use a power window to select your vfx, basically creating your own matte.
Next, add an alpha output and connect the power window's node alpha to the alpha output.

This way the vfx will be spared your grading which will be done on the bottom clip.

Thanks again!
Resolve 18.6.2 Studio * WIN10 Pro 64-bit * intel core i7-7700K CPU 4.20Ghz * 32 Gb RAM * NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti *

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostThu Feb 02, 2023 3:23 pm

Gabi Bucataru wrote:
Marc Wielage wrote:

Thanks Marc!
I looked through the manual and honestly wasn't able to find that specific answer. I hoped to buy some time and see if anyone had a quick answer to this.

BUT - a friend colorist mentioned that in an ideal world, the client should have provided a matte to go with that vfx shot.
So his fix was to duplicate the clip in the timeline and place it above on a track. Then on the color page (on the top clip) use a power window to select your vfx, basically creating your own matte.
Next, add an alpha output and connect the power window's node alpha to the alpha output.

This way the vfx will be spared your grading which will be done on the bottom clip.

Thanks again!

make it simple, do your grade, then start a branch that bypass it and use a layer mixer with your shape.

no need to unnecessarily duplicate the clip.

Even better if you compound node the whole grade and you put the shape on the master node....
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Gabi Bucataru

PostThu Feb 02, 2023 3:26 pm

waltervolpatto wrote:
make it simple, do your grade, then start a branch that bypass it and use a layer mixer with your shape.

Even better if you compound node the whole grade and you put the shape on the master node....

Grazie mille, Walter!

That's brilliant!

Cheers!

Gabi Bucataru

PostThu Feb 02, 2023 3:28 pm

waltervolpatto wrote:

Quick follow-up question. How would you use this method if a clip is part of a group and the group has pre and post adjustments?

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostThu Feb 02, 2023 4:12 pm

Gabi Bucataru wrote:
waltervolpatto wrote:

Quick follow-up question. How would you use this method if a clip is part of a group and the group has pre and post adjustments?

same strategy?

but mentally i dont work in that way:

1) something that is a global look -> timeline nodes
2) something that is specific to the scene look --> can be the group nodes
3) something that is specific to the shot ---> shot nodes.

this is specific to the shots (it's a vfx), i will put it on the shot per se.
If the vfx is really messed up, you have to be a bit more creative....
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Return to DaVinci Resolve