Changing the default playback background color

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Rafael Lima

Changing the default playback background color

PostThu Feb 02, 2023 11:20 am

Hi everybody,

I've been struggling with this problem for awhile looked for answers everywhere and couldn't find [maybe there isn't]

i want the change the traditional color that goes on an empty playback from black to something more bright like magenta FOR ALL PROJECTS, how can I do that?

Problem: Sometimes i'm expanding, reducing clip dimension or moving its position, or simple trying to put to clips side by side... sometimes on these situations i make a small empty 'gap' between the clips or between the clip and the frame border and because is black and the whole da vinci windows are black... is very difficult to notice quickly... it is usually only after export the video and playing with a different playback that i get to notice these gaps...

https://i.ibb.co/88q7hJs/image.png

This could be much easily spotted if the back of the playback frame was bright colorful like magenta or anything that if the background is 'leaking' we would quickly notice

The only workaround I found so far was to FORCE ALL MY PROJECTS to have a solid color video track with the desired color... but this is very annoying... is there any other way to do this?

How can i change this settings to achieve this

Jim Simon

Re: Changing the default playback background color

PostFri Feb 03, 2023 4:30 pm

Rafael Lima wrote:how can I do that?
You can't. I'm not aware of any NLE having such a capability.

Solid Color clips are your only option.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Rafael Lima

PostFri Mar 03, 2023 6:18 am

this is really sad, cuz it is an obvious use case... i bet so many people spend hours on exporting clips only to realize they let the background like at some parts...

very non smart from the developers to forget this thing and just make a whole "black on black" desing

ginavini

Re: Changing the default playback blackground color

PostFri Jun 02, 2023 2:12 am

How do I change black background on main page behind clips to white

Jim Simon

PostSun Jun 04, 2023 3:36 pm

You can't Gina. You'll have to place a Solid Color clip on V1 and make it white.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Return to DaVinci Resolve