ACEScc colour managed project and EXR issue

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

piotrus3333

ACEScc colour managed project and EXR issue

PostThu Feb 02, 2023 12:09 pm

VRay >> ACEScg exrs >> Resolve ACEScc colour managed project (ACES 1.3 defaults) output sRGB

I have two seemingly identical exrs. 16f, multi channel, non multi part, ACEScg color space.
In the file browser both are displayed as expected, with ACEScg>sRGB transform, all is good.

When moved to Media file 001 suddenly looses the display transform. The same happens in Edit - it is displayed as ACEScg on sRGB display so linear gamma, shifted colours and clipped highlights.

File 002 is shown everywhere in Resolve as expected with correct view transform.

Interestingly enough when file 001 is switched in Fusion to show one of the other channels (also rgb, acescg like the main channel) it suddenly start to behave as expected (correct view transform) in Edit.

Files:
https://we.tl/t-PuqXsnTMPP
Marcin Piotrowski

piotrus3333

Re: ACEScc colour managed project and EXR issue

PostFri Feb 03, 2023 4:01 pm

File 001 has one additional RGB channel. Shouldn't make a difference, right? - both files have only one RGBA channel that I guess would always be the "main" one. In both files the RGBA channel is the first one on the list.

Any ideas? Have anybody experienced any bugs with ACES managed projects in Resolve?
Marcin Piotrowski

Hendrik Proosa

PostFri Feb 03, 2023 4:18 pm

Have you tried setting the colorspace of the file manually? Might be an interpretation issue.

Channel stuff is confusing, what does one file have in addition, one channel (alpha) or full channelset of RGB in additional layer? It shouldn’t make a difference though, whatever you see is handled as main set and should get colormanaged.
I do stuff.

piotrus3333

PostFri Feb 03, 2023 5:17 pm

I tried manually - no luck.

Exrs: each has one RGBA channel/layer (within exr terminology this is a channel but this might be confusing here), a few RGB and a few data channels/layers.
The difference is one additional RGB channel/layer.
And this somehow makes Resolve interpret correct view transform for all the channels/layers but the main RGBA.
Marcin Piotrowski

Hendrik Proosa

PostFri Feb 03, 2023 6:30 pm

Your 001 file has alpha value 2.0 in solid areas and it screws with color transforms. Fix your renders and it will fix the problem. Or if your stuff is all solid with no transparency, you can set your renders to bypass alpha in Resolve and it should show correctly.

In exr terminology RGBA is four channels and they form one layer.
I do stuff.

piotrus3333

PostMon Feb 06, 2023 9:35 am

I stand corrected on the terminology.

Thank you for looking into this. All solved, it was indeed the alpha. Much appreciated.
Marcin Piotrowski

Return to DaVinci Resolve