Adjustment Clip - Color Page - Clip Bar - Applying LUTS

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

cuttingshort

Adjustment Clip - Color Page - Clip Bar - Applying LUTS

PostThu Feb 02, 2023 8:59 pm

Hello there,

thanks again for this great studio version - been working well on macbook pro 14

Unfortunately, today I have had a few problems:

I went to save my project as usual but must have pressed the next slot above

Close current timeline -

I wanted to work on Adjustment clips that were visible in the color page but at first, all the clips were gone until by sheer luck and unknowingly I found the clips icon top right. But now the adjustment clips that I have remade on the main editor page are nowhere to be found.??

How does one make it possible to load a LUT into an adjustment clip and/or how does one

reload adjustment clips so that they are usable on the color sector clips bar? Thanks

in advance, been looking all over youtube and the net for a solution.

Best wishes

Marc Wielage

Re: Adjustment Clip - Color Page - Clip Bar - Applying LUTS

PostFri Feb 03, 2023 2:12 am

To me, you're better off using a LUT (or a CST for color management) on the actual Color page and not in an Adjustment layer. I get that a lot of people are used to an Adjustment layer-approach from other software, but to me, it's inherently limited -- particularly if you place any other clips on the timeline below. If you use the LUT or the CST on the Color page, you can target specific clips quickly without affecting anything else. Learn how to Ripple color changes, and you can apply the LUT (or CST) to many clips at one time.

Another approach would be to use Color Management, and let Resolve apply a corrective look to shots made on a specific camera. This is mainly intended for camera original files, like R3D, Canon raw, BRaw, or Alexa raw (and many other formats). Color management is explained at length in the manual.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Sam Steti

PostFri Feb 03, 2023 7:59 am

Hey

I'd avoid using a LUT outside the Color flow : for what I've quickly red from you here, you'd better either put the clips in a group and apply the LUT to it, or maybe use a Shared Node
*MacMini M1 16 Go - Ext nvme SSDs on TB3 - 14 To HD in 2 x 4 disks USB3 towers
*Legacy MacPro 8core Xeons, 32 Go ram, 2 x gtx 980 ti, 3SSDs including RAID
*Resolve Studio everywhere, Fusion Studio too
*https://www.buymeacoffee.com/videorhin

cuttingshort

PostFri Feb 03, 2023 10:15 am

Thanks for the replies. So you both seem to advise using the Adjustment Clip method.

Is there any reason apart from those mentioned, if you would be so kind Thanks.

Whether making a music video (in this case), short film or longer, I want the same look on the whole timeline so applying them to each individual clip seems a long workflow. Unless I´m missing the point somewhere.

Regardless, the system was set up with adjustment clips showing in the clip bar. Which for some reason isn´t happening now, ? and I can´t find how to do that so could you tell me please how that is done.

Big thanks

Sam Steti

PostFri Feb 03, 2023 11:36 am

cuttingshort wrote:Whether making a music video (in this case), short film or longer, I want the same look on the whole timeline so applying them to each individual clip seems a long workflow. Unless I´m missing the point somewhere.
Yes, I think you do...
Either you can put some of the desired target clips in a Group* and then grade the group, or in the Color page, you switch (top bar above the node flow) from Clip to Timeline to apply any color correction you make to the whole timeline.
You can note that both of these actions are in the Color page, where grading is supposed to be done, and where Adjustments clips are not created ;)
*the group would allow you to exclude some specific clips; i.e. graphics/titles etc
*MacMini M1 16 Go - Ext nvme SSDs on TB3 - 14 To HD in 2 x 4 disks USB3 towers
*Legacy MacPro 8core Xeons, 32 Go ram, 2 x gtx 980 ti, 3SSDs including RAID
*Resolve Studio everywhere, Fusion Studio too
*https://www.buymeacoffee.com/videorhin

Jim Simon

PostFri Feb 03, 2023 3:29 pm

This may provide some insight.

My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

cuttingshort

PostSat Feb 04, 2023 4:33 pm

Thanks for your reply.Looking into the video series thanks. Best wishes

Return to DaVinci Resolve