Can't save customized Basic Title to power bin

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Knobby

Can't save customized Basic Title to power bin

PostFri Feb 03, 2023 5:33 am

Hey all, new guy here, still learning the basics.

So I'm finally editing a video in Resolve and I ran into a weird issue. I have a Basic Title in my timeline that I customized a little (font, size, color) and I was able to save that into my power bin no problem.

However, I then wanted to get a little fancier, so I deleted that title out of my power bin, went back to the original, and added a basic video Additive Dissolve to the beginning and end of the Basic Title to have it fade in and out. I then went to drag that updated title into my power bin again and... it didn't work. The bin name turns red in the title bar and the title itself doesn't get saved there.

So I take it you can't save text with any sort of transition in any sort of bin?

If that's the case, how would I save my "template" title? Do I basically need to start from scratch but make it a basic Fusion Composition and do the fades with keyframes in there instead? Seems like overkill for such a simple idea.

Jim Simon

Re: Can't save customized Basic Title to power bin

PostFri Feb 03, 2023 3:54 pm

If you're OK with a linear fade, you can just drag the clip's fade handles. That will still go into a Power Bin.

Otherwise, you'll just need to apply the transitions every time.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Knobby

Re: Can't save customized Basic Title to power bin

PostFri Feb 03, 2023 5:42 pm

I tried dragging the handles before I went with the actual transition, and nothing happened. Not sure why, I thought that should have worked.

But I've basically created a simple fusion composition using a text and a keyframe stretcher node, which seems to do what I want. I was able to drag that into the power bin as expected.

However, where I ran into an issue is when I tried to import my new composition into the effects library. I watched 10 different YouTube videos on how to do it and I'm not sure I understand the official method. Should I be using "Save As" and then importing it, or exporting to a Macro?

Return to DaVinci Resolve