Can't Get "Import Metadata" to work

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

mindbend

Can't Get "Import Metadata" to work

PostFri Feb 03, 2023 5:38 am

This is my first time using the "import metadata to" feature and I can't get it to work. I don't know if it's user error or not.

I started with a CSV generated from another app. I tried every import option and none of them updated any of the metadata in Davinci.

I then made a super simple CSV that just had a Clip Name column and a Keyword column and one entry for each. That didn't work. I then renamed the header columns to things like "Filename" instead of "clip name". Nothing works.

Then I finally had the idea to use the "export metadata from" option to establish a CSV with the exact columns Davinci uses. Certainly this would work! I opened that CSV and put in some keywords, saved it, and then tried to import that. DOES NOT WORK.

I've tried every permutation I can think of. Not a single metadata field will update. Any thoughts?

Joe Shapiro

Re: Can't Get "Import Metadata" to work

PostFri Feb 03, 2023 5:33 pm

I use this method regularly to do things like move the scene metadata from the sound recordist to the shot field.

Which fields are you trying to import? It might be that there's an issue with a particular field.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Director, Editor, Problem Solver. Been cutting indie features for 23 years. FCP editor from version 2 to 7.
Resolve 18.6.6
MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max 64GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1
MacBook Air 13" M1 8GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1

Return to DaVinci Resolve