Project backup search and destroy

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

jas.brooks

Project backup search and destroy

PostFri Feb 03, 2023 11:54 am

Hey folks,

Wondering if anyone has any insight into how the project backup system works. AFAIK the only way to delete backups is "project-by-project" in the project window. I've tried to find all my redundant backups for past projects, and am still haunted by several GB of backups that I don't know how to find in the browser.

Is there any way to 'delete all backups' that anyone is aware of? I'm almost tempted to delete the files from the HD, but that doesn't seem prudent!

Thanks,

jason
DVR Studio: 17.3.1 build 5 | OS X Big Sur 11.5.2 | 2.4GHz 8-core i9 | 64GB DDR4 | AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8GB

Jim Simon

Re: Project backup search and destroy

PostFri Feb 03, 2023 3:25 pm

Given the inscrutable naming scheme, I think the only way might be to go to the Project Backups folder and empty it manually.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Steve Alexander

PostFri Feb 03, 2023 3:31 pm

I haven't tried this but if you click on somewhere other than a project in the project manager, can't you bring up a dialog showing all the project backups for all projects? If so, does it let you delete them from there? I would test but my machine is packed at the moment.
Time Traveller
Resolve Studio 18.6.6 | Fusion Studio 18.6.6 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4

jas.brooks

PostThu Feb 09, 2023 10:29 am

Steve Alexander wrote:I haven't tried this but if you click on somewhere other than a project in the project manager, can't you bring up a dialog showing all the project backups for all projects? If so, does it let you delete them from there? I would test but my machine is packed at the moment.

YES!!! Thank you Steve. It's funny because I thought I'd already tried this (so much so that I almost didn't bother trying), but you're completely correct. Right click in project manager "empty space", select "Other project backups" ... wait ~3min ... and be greeted by a list of all those 'rogue' backups. Delete all!!!

THANK YOU @Steve Alexander!

jason
DVR Studio: 17.3.1 build 5 | OS X Big Sur 11.5.2 | 2.4GHz 8-core i9 | 64GB DDR4 | AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8GB

Steve Alexander

PostThu Feb 09, 2023 2:46 pm

That's awesome, Jason. I have Walter to credit for this - he mentioned it in another context recently - I had no idea that mode was present. Cheers.
Time Traveller
Resolve Studio 18.6.6 | Fusion Studio 18.6.6 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4

AssistantEditor1

PostThu Feb 09, 2023 3:03 pm

Steve Alexander wrote:I haven't tried this but if you click on somewhere other than a project in the project manager, can't you bring up a dialog showing all the project backups for all projects? If so, does it let you delete them from there? I would test but my machine is packed at the moment.

I don’t need this feature now but I’m glad to know it exists, thanks.

Paul Jonathan

PostSat Jun 17, 2023 3:26 pm

jas.brooks wrote:

YES!!! Thank you Steve. It's funny because I thought I'd already tried this (so much so that I almost didn't bother trying), but you're completely correct. Right click in project manager "empty space", select "Other project backups" ... wait ~3min ... and be greeted by a list of all those 'rogue' backups. Delete all!!!

THANK YOU @Steve Alexander!

jason

Tried this Jason but didnt get the backups to show up, waited for over an hour after hitting refresh. How big was your backup-library? I have almost 120 GB that I'm hoping to get rid off. Any advice how to get them to show?

Paul Jonathan

PostWed Jun 28, 2023 6:44 pm

Bumping this in hope anyone has a response! Would be very grateful!

Peder Henriksen

PostFri Aug 25, 2023 8:38 pm

I also have a problem with ‘Other Project backups. I only got a very limited list of backups. Delete did work, but there were some hundred files left in the backup folder. A bug?

Return to DaVinci Resolve