I need to change my timeline framerate, but it's greyed out.

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

iRedMC

I need to change my timeline framerate, but it's greyed out.

PostFri Feb 03, 2023 8:15 pm

Hi, I'm somewhat new to resolve, and am new-ish to video editing, but I forget to do certain things. God forbid things just work without needing to configure them in 3 different places the same way.

I edited pretty much this entire video, and I want to export at 60fps, and I have 60fps set everywhere else except for the timeline settings, which is greyed out at 24fps. I NEED to force this to 60, and I don't foresee a good reason for not doing this, plus I can't just go back and re-edit the entire damn thing by creating a new timeline with new settings.

There must be a way I can force it to 60. What is it?
12-Core 2010 Mac Pro for old stuff, PC for gaming stuff, Maxed-out i9 MacBook Pro for things better ran on x86, and a 13" 2013 MacBook Pro for when I don't have my 16", an M2 Pro Mac mini for editing, and an i7 2018 Mac mini for transcoding.

panos_mts

Re: I need to change my timeline framerate, but it's greyed

PostFri Feb 03, 2023 8:26 pm

Select and copy all the clips from the 24fps timeline, create a new 60fps timeline and paste them there.

iRedMC

PostFri Feb 03, 2023 8:43 pm

I can't believe I never though to do this. Thank you!
12-Core 2010 Mac Pro for old stuff, PC for gaming stuff, Maxed-out i9 MacBook Pro for things better ran on x86, and a 13" 2013 MacBook Pro for when I don't have my 16", an M2 Pro Mac mini for editing, and an i7 2018 Mac mini for transcoding.

Uli Plank

PostSat Feb 04, 2023 3:36 am

But then, normally 24 fps will need to be adapted to 60 fps or it'll look stuttery.
You can choose the method to be applied in your project settings under Master Settings -> Frame Interpolation (scroll) -> Retime process. Blend is fast and may look OK, but can show double contouring. Optical flow can look better, but it's more processor intensive and the version to choose is highly dependent on content and motion.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

iRedMC

PostThu Sep 14, 2023 6:55 pm

Uli Plank wrote:But then, normally 24 fps will need to be adapted to 60 fps or it'll look stuttery.
You can choose the method to be applied in your project settings under Master Settings -> Frame Interpolation (scroll) -> Retime process. Blend is fast and may look OK, but can show double contouring. Optical flow can look better, but it's more processor intensive and the version to choose is highly dependent on content and motion.

Thanks! Nice pro tip there. I usually edit/render in 60fps no matter what anyway, so that works.

Return to DaVinci Resolve