Deactivate then activate using different activation code

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Lee Reichel

Deactivate then activate using different activation code

PostSat Feb 04, 2023 12:59 am

I wanted to check before I do something I’ll regret. I bought the studio version of Resolve 12.5 from Blackmagic. It came with the dongle which I later replaced with an activation code. My problem is that I sold my speed editor months ago with what I thought was the studio version which came with it. I didn’t realize that I had sold my original activation key because I just found the Studio version of Resolve 17 unopened and on opening it I found a new activation key.
So far I have had no issues using the old code with Resolve(18.2) but can I uninstall Resolve and reinstall it using the new activation code? If I just deactivate the original one then the person I sold it to may be dead in the water and I cannot reach that person. Also, more importantly, if I reinstall Resolve will all my projects be accessible? It seems they should but I’m asking first.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Uli Plank

Re: Deactivate then activate using different activation code

PostSat Feb 04, 2023 2:19 am

It's no problem at all. Deactivating the key in the Help menu will deactivate it on the machine you are on.
On the next start, it'll ask for the key. Input the other one and you are set.
Your buyer will now be able to use his/her two installations as well.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Lee Reichel

Re: Deactivate then activate using different activation code

PostSat Feb 04, 2023 2:50 am

Thank you very much! I will do that now.

Return to DaVinci Resolve