80% of my projects corrupted overnight?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

IainPennington

80% of my projects corrupted overnight?

PostSun Feb 05, 2023 8:06 pm

Hey there,

Last night I left Resolve 18.1.1 open overnight. My Mac M1 Max Studio went to sleep. Nothing abnormal about that. Although it's not common practice for me to leave resolve open, I've done it before and it's been fine.

Woke up this morning, exited out of Resolve, and then went to work on the same project later that day. Resolve loads and *immediately* crashes. I had 5 projects in my library, and now only one of them works without crashing Resolve.

I run my projects from a Synology NAS. There's a possibility that the NAS ran monthly disk health checks overnight, and I'm now wondering whether that's corrupted the data?

Fortunately it's no biggy, these were just practice projects, but it has been a wake up call that I need to be exporting .drp files at the end of each day if anything is important.

I'm wondering whether anyone has had a similar problem before, and how they solved it? I'll go in and rebuild new projects, no stress, it just feels like a necessary lesson to be learned.

Lastly, I accidentally clicked "do not show again" on the Resolve crash report window that comes up when crashes, and now I've got no way of feeding back. Is there a way to get this to pop up again?

Thanks in advance guys.

Iain.

Reynaud Venter

Re: 80% of my projects corrupted overnight?

PostMon Feb 06, 2023 7:53 am

Resolve Preferences > System > General > Send Report when application quits unexpectedly
Resolve Preferences > System > General > Automatically send problem reports
⟦ Mac Pro 7,1 Rack ⊕ 16-core 3.2GHz ⊕ 32GB RAM ⊕ Radeon 580X • Resolve Studio 19.0 • macOS 14.4.1 ⟧
⟦ Fairlight Studio Console ⊕ Fairlight Audio Accelerator ⊕ Merging Hapi • Anubis • Ravenna CoreAudio VAD ⟧

Marc Wielage

PostMon Feb 06, 2023 10:10 am

IainPennington wrote:Last night I left Resolve 18.1.1 open overnight. My Mac M1 Max Studio went to sleep. Nothing abnormal about that. Although it's not common practice for me to leave resolve open, I've done it before and it's been fine.

It shouldn't corrupt any files, but as a general rule we never sleep our system(s) with Resolve still running. We do kick the monitors into screen saver to protect the screens, and if I have to walk away for more than a couple of minutes, I make sure black is up on the main display to ward off any burn-in. In fact, when doing letterbox projects, I make sure I have a full-screen dark gray (maybe 20 units) so the screen can kind of "recover" a bit from the letterbox burn-in.

If I have to leave the room for more than half an hour (like going to lunch or dinner), I'll actually exit Resolve and then sleep the computer. Some parts of the system never sleep, like the Resolve PosgreSQL server -- it just stays up and I kill the monitor.

I used the same tactic with Final Cut Pro in the old days, as well as Pro Tools and several other "mission-critical" programs. When we used the older versions of daVinci (888 / 2K / etc.), we just left the system up 100% of the time and turned off the monitors, but never left a project open. We weren't so much concerned about the project getting corrupted -- we were concerned that another employee might wander in and fiddle with the session (inadvertently).
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

roger.magnusson

PostMon Feb 06, 2023 12:13 pm

IainPennington wrote:I run my projects from a Synology NAS.

Are you using a Local Project Library that is stored on the server, or is the NAS running PostgreSQL and you're using a Network Project Library?

Local Project Libraries should preferably be stored on a local internal drive.

Jim Simon

PostMon Feb 06, 2023 3:28 pm

IainPennington wrote:My Mac M1 Max Studio went to sleep. Nothing abnormal about that.
Maybe not 'abnormal' but...definitely inadvisable.

Edit systems should be fully powered at all times, including displays and storage.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Return to DaVinci Resolve