Is this normal ? Import horizontal sequence in vertical one

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Jacob Olivera

Is this normal ? Import horizontal sequence in vertical one

PostTue Feb 07, 2023 7:29 pm

Sorry I just made a video because I can't believe we are no longer in beta version and still have aberrations like this.

Part 1 :

Part 2 if you're enjoying this :

Part 3 if you're reallly feeling it :

Are we not supposed to be able to just import a horizontal sequence in a vertical one and then frame it like you'd want like in any graphic software in the universe ? Why is Resolve deciding that it should absolutely reframe and crop it itself, making it impossible to have the full frame of your sequence anymore ? What is happening ?! I really hope this is just me being retarded and missing a setting somewhere. :roll:

Mark Foster

Re: Is this normal ? Import horizontal sequence in vertical

PostTue Feb 07, 2023 8:00 pm

cMP 5.1 2x3,46/96GB/2x2TB SSD/4x4TB/7101A 4x2TB 970evo+/HP1344/BMD4k/RadeonVII
macOS 12.6.3
BMPCC 6k pro (7.9.1)
meike s35 cine 25mm, 35mm, 50mm, 75mm
resolve studio 18.1.4
mini panel
speed editor
desktop video 12.1
intensity pro 4k
atem extreme (8.6.1)

Jacob Olivera

PostTue Feb 07, 2023 8:06 pm

Mark Foster wrote:https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve/training

https://documents.blackmagicdesign.com/ ... Manual.pdf

Dude, NO. This is completely not helpful and not the point of a help forum. If you don't wanna write the answer, nobody forces you to post anything to my thread.

Is the solution really somewhere in all these printed hieroglyphs ?
If yes I will make a video to apologize, but only at 10% because there is no valid reason for it to not work properly by default first, and THEN resolve does its little resizing croping thing to pretend to be clever, optionally, if you must, but first, you drag a sequence in another sequence, just put the sequence there with its full resolution, no resizing no cropping no changing anything. And I am not going to read 2 million pages of developer delirium just to find something so basic.

Mark Foster

PostTue Feb 07, 2023 8:22 pm

you should get a little idea of how resolve and resolutions works

if the video then also becomes in vertical and uninformative, then no one will watch it ;- )
cMP 5.1 2x3,46/96GB/2x2TB SSD/4x4TB/7101A 4x2TB 970evo+/HP1344/BMD4k/RadeonVII
macOS 12.6.3
BMPCC 6k pro (7.9.1)
meike s35 cine 25mm, 35mm, 50mm, 75mm
resolve studio 18.1.4
mini panel
speed editor
desktop video 12.1
intensity pro 4k
atem extreme (8.6.1)

Jacob Olivera

PostTue Feb 07, 2023 8:32 pm

Mark Foster wrote:you should get a little idea of how resolve and resolutions works

Not if they made it work the wrong way. I am very aware of resolutions and work with After Effects and Premiere since I was born.

Mark Foster wrote:if the video then also becomes in vertical and uninformative, then no one will watch it ;- )

What are you talking about. How do you know anything about what this video is about in order to consider if it's informative or not ? It's a vertical video split into 3 screens. Each screen is an independent horizontal timeline. Is this so mind-baffling for the human in 2023 ?

Do you have a solution to the issue or not?

Jacob Olivera

PostTue Feb 07, 2023 8:39 pm

Mark Foster wrote:https://documents.blackmagicdesign.com/UserManuals/DaVinci_Resolve_18_Reference_Manual.pdf

From the manual : "Similarly to compound clips, nested timelines act like a single clip in the Timeline;" [...] "Timelines can be edited like any other clip"

Ok then, do so. Why is it cropped / scaled in and no longer the original resolution / framing of the "clip" / compound clip then ? Because it's mega buggy and Resolve is not ready to be moving on to advanced visual fx stuff if basic stuff like this works so poorly.

You're answering me because you are attracted to my energy, but do you even understand the problem at all Mark ?

Uli Plank

PostWed Feb 08, 2023 4:12 am

Jacob Olivera wrote:Not if they made it work the wrong way. I am very aware of resolutions and work with After Effects and Premiere since I was born.?

It may then already be in your DNA, so I think DaVinci Resolve is not really good for you ;-)
(See my sig.)
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Steve Alexander

PostWed Feb 08, 2023 4:12 pm

Resolve does seem to behave in a surprising way when you drop compound clips from a horizontal timeline into a vertical timeline. A compound clip (including a nested timeline) seems to limit the extents of the clip to the original timeline resolution from which it was made (cropping away the original source resolution). I played with this a couple of months ago to see if I could get it working by increasing the timeline resolution to something much larger than the output resolution (on the basis that the timeline resolution should be large enough to hold both the horizontal and vertical source clip resolutions even if the output resolution was restricted to a vertical 1080p resolution). There were some inconsistencies but it did work a bit better. Sorry - very difficult to describe in writing without a bunch of screen captures. I wish I could find my earlier post. If I do, I will post a link here. Also - not entirely sure what I'm thinking of will address your specific issue.
Time Traveller
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 | Fusion Studio 19.0b1 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4

Jacob Olivera

PostWed Feb 08, 2023 7:14 pm

Steve Alexander wrote:Resolve does seem to behave in a surprising way when you drop compound clips from a horizontal timeline into a vertical timeline. A compound clip (including a nested timeline) seems to limit the extents of the clip to the original timeline resolution from which it was made (cropping away the original source resolution). I played with this a couple of months ago to see if I could get it working by increasing the timeline resolution to something much larger than the output resolution (on the basis that the timeline resolution should be large enough to hold both the horizontal and vertical source clip resolutions even if the output resolution was restricted to a vertical 1080p resolution). There were some inconsistencies but it did work a bit better. Sorry - very difficult to describe in writing without a bunch of screen captures. I wish I could find my earlier post. If I do, I will post a link here. Also - not entirely sure what I'm thinking of will address your specific issue.

Thank you Steve Alexander for your input, finally someone confirming I am not (completely) deranged, and there is indeed a problem here !
Do you mean that you nested your timeline in a compound clip before dragging that compound clip in the new sequence, and that allowed to keep everything looking like how it was edited in the "nest" ? Like any editing software, Premiere, After Effects, Final Cut, would, right !? Do you think it has anything to do with the Retime & Scaling settings in the clip or sequence's settings ?
Thanks ! :geek:

Jacob Olivera

PostWed Feb 08, 2023 7:15 pm

Mark Foster wrote:you should get a little idea of how resolve and resolutions works

if the video then also becomes in vertical and uninformative, then no one will watch it ;- )

This answer was a complete catastrophe, you post a lot but you really have nothing to say. :roll:

Steve Alexander

PostWed Feb 08, 2023 9:12 pm

I'll try to explain. First a couple of pre-cursors:

1. Timeline resolution and output resolution are two different settings. Usually the output resolution is set equal to the timeline resolution but they can differ. I typically setup my timeline so that it is different from the project settings (a checkbox you can uncheck when you first create a new timeline).

2. A compound clip's media resolution is set to the timeline resolution in which it is created. So if you have some UHD media and you put it on a 1080p timeline and then create a compound clip, the compound clip will have 1080p resolution.

3. If you set the scaling in #2 to crop / centered you will only see the center portion of the UHD clip and you can pan/scan then clip as long as you are working with the original media clip. As soon as you make it into a compound clip, the new resolution of the clip is 1080p and it is cropped to the timeline resolution (not the output resolution - this will become easier to understand shortly).

Because the compound clip is cropped in #3, when you drop it into another timeline, it won't allow for pan/scan to the original source UHD extents because it was cropped as a compound clip. This is the underlying reason I believe you get what you reported in your first post, if I understand your post correctly.

It's also worth noting that compound clips and nested timelines suffer from this same behaviour - if you drop a timeline into another timeline, it's pan/scan will be cropped regardless of the resolution of the source media on the dropped-in timeline.

One workaround that I found (and it's not perfect because there are some unusual side effects with things like power windows in the color page when applied to clips with Fusion effects) is to setup your timeline resolution to be larger than your output resolution and to treat the timeline resolution as a virtual workspace for you higher-than-output resolution clips.

For example, let's say I have some UHD material that I would like to place into a compound clip and then introduce into a vertical 1080p timeline. I would first setup a timeline with timeline resolution of 3840x2160 and an output resolution of 1920x1080 (both with the center-crop no resize scaling setting). Now I would place my UHD source onto this timeline and I can do some pan/scan to center my subject if desired (or hold off until I go vertical).

Now select this clip, right-click and convert to a compound clip. Even as a compound clip I should be able to pan/scan because the compound clip's resolution is timeline but the output resolution (the keyhole view) is smaller in this example.

Now create a vertical timeline with a timeline resolution set to 3840x3840 (or 2160x3840, possibly) but set the output resolution to 1080p vertical (1080x1920), again with both resizing set to center crop, no resize.

Now you can drop the compound clip onto the second timeline and its larger timeline resolution (i.e., workspace) will allow you to pan/scan in the vertical timeline the same way you would expect it to if it where UHD source material.

This is from memory and I can't recall if the vertical timeline really needs to have a timeline with larger extents than its output resolution. I also can't recall what limitations are imposed when applying this approach but if you have a specific workflow in mind, it might be worth your time investigating the ins and outs of this method.

Having posted this, I am going to grab my laptop and try this again to see if I can refine the steps.
Time Traveller
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 | Fusion Studio 19.0b1 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4

Axel888

PostTue Jun 13, 2023 7:06 pm

When you make a new sequence(new timeline) in format tab make original timeline resolution form timeline you want to import in, but in output tab make resolution what you want and all works perfectly.
Sorry for my bad english...

Return to DaVinci Resolve