BSOD with a full cache (?)

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

J. Kloppenburg

BSOD with a full cache (?)

PostWed Feb 08, 2023 4:27 pm

Hi All,

I have been experiencing BSOD's. To the point I had to reinstall Windows. After that, all was fine. Until a few days agao, again BSOD's. Had them while working with ON1, and Davinci Resolve.

I tried everything. Swapping RAM, Chkdsk, the whole lot of tips I could find on the Internet. No luck.

Until....

I noticed that the dedicated M2 I use for cache was 100% full... It has the DR cache, and for some other programs, including ON1. Although I had several reasons stated on the blue screem, I also rememberd a 'trying to write to memory it has no permission for', or soemthing like that...

Anyone else experienced this? Any way to have DR keep the cache at a maximum size? Or do I need to remember myself to manually empty the cache from time to time?

Thanks!

Jim Simon

Re: BSOD with a full cache (?)

PostWed Feb 08, 2023 9:30 pm

I would not expect a full Cache drive to cause a BSOD. The error sounds more like a memory issue than a storage issue.

Might be time for a larger drive? (I use a 10 TB HDD for Cache, myself.)

You can just manually delete all the Cache. Resolve will re-create what it needs when it needs it.

And then vote for the following to make things easier. ;)

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=124820
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

J. Kloppenburg

Re: BSOD with a full cache (?)

PostThu Feb 09, 2023 6:47 am

I manually deleted the files, but this time I forgot it (oops). I did not had BSOD's anymore since I emtied the directory. Before I had a few each hour... I just hope this is it because its driving me nuts...

Return to DaVinci Resolve