Deliver preset Burn in

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Maxioma

Deliver preset Burn in

PostFri Feb 17, 2023 7:37 pm

Is it possible to customize the Burn IN based on the Deliver preset selected? I need to include some details about the preset used over the rendered video.

Andy Mees

Re: Deliver preset Burn IN

PostFri Feb 17, 2023 7:50 pm

Absolutely. You can set up and save as many Data Burn In presets as you want or need (in the Data Burn In window) and then assign whichever is needed under the Advanced Settings section for each Delivery preset you set up.
Let's have a return to the glory days, when press releases for new versions included text like "...with over 300 new features and improvements that professional editors and colorists have asked for."

Maxioma

PostFri Feb 17, 2023 11:27 pm

Thank you Andy. BTW is it possible to add a dynamic variable to the Burn In? (ie the Deliver's output File Name) so I can reuse the same burn in? I tried using "%File Name" as a Burn In variable but it only shows timeline files names.

Andy Mees wrote:Absolutely. You can set up and save as many Data Burn In presets as you want or need (in the Data Burn In window) and then assign whichever is needed under the Advanced Settings section for each Delivery preset you set up.

Andy Mees

PostSat Feb 18, 2023 12:07 am

No, a delivery output file name can be driven by metadata variables, and you could use those same variables in a Data Burn In preset, but I don't think the output file name itself is a recognised metadata variable.

Personally, the Data Burn In preset I use on screeners displays the timeline name ... and the export preset I use for those same screeners uses the 'Filename use Timeline name' option, so the burn in and filename automatically match.

Maxioma

PostSat Feb 18, 2023 1:12 am

Thanks, it seems there is no way to use/burn any variable from the Deliver page.

In my workflow I have a considerable number of Deliver presets (ie: Staging, M&E, etc) and the Filename uses the Timeline name variable and appends a hard coded preset name (Timeline_Staging, Timeline_MnE, etc), so I would like to include this preset information (Staging, M&E, etc) in the burn in itself (in case the filename changes down the pipeline), hopefully without the need to create a new custom Burn-In preset for each Deliver preset.

Maxioma

Re: Deliver preset Burn in

PostThu Mar 09, 2023 11:37 pm

Follow-up question: Is it possible to burn the date a video was rendered? That is to burn the current date.

Marc Wielage

PostFri Mar 10, 2023 1:02 am

Maxioma wrote:Follow-up question: Is it possible to burn the date a video was rendered? That is to burn the current date.

We have asked for a variable like @Current_Date (referring to the system clock), but no luck as yet. For now, we just have to type the date in manually to data burn-ins and renders.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostFri Mar 10, 2023 2:58 pm

There should be a [custom] field and you can use %timeline_name in the metadata/ burn in field, it should work
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Maxioma

PostFri Mar 17, 2023 2:47 am

Marc Wielage wrote:
Maxioma wrote:Follow-up question: Is it possible to burn the date a video was rendered? That is to burn the current date.

We have asked for a variable like @Current_Date (referring to the system clock), but no luck as yet. For now, we just have to type the date in manually to data burn-ins and renders.

Thanks Marc. I take there is also no way to specify a particular track (ie A5) to burn its Clip Name. Eg: If I want to burn the music cue name-version. Do people in professional environments handle all this critical stuff manually?

Marc Wielage

PostFri Mar 17, 2023 4:39 am

Maxioma wrote:Thanks Marc. I take there is also no way to specify a particular track (ie A5) to burn its Clip Name. Eg: If I want to burn the music cue name-version. Do people in professional environments handle all this critical stuff manually?

I believe so. You figure, even a major feature would only have -- what? -- 20, 25 music cues? It wouldn't be that hard to do to type it in manually. My joke for years has been, "well, that's what the assistant editor does."

Major studios put all kinds of visual data in burn-ins. Here's an example:

marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Maxioma

PostFri Mar 31, 2023 3:08 am

Yes, It just seems odd and prone to human error that the burn-in excludes all the delivery variables. If, for instance, I have 20 cues and I also want to include the render-delivery date and Audio mix (Full Mix, D&F, F&M), then I need to manually create and update 60 burn-in variations for something that can be handled automatically with one burn-in by exposing the delivery variables.

It's not a big issue issue for the classic linear workflow but it hinders more agile parallel workflows.

Marc Wielage wrote:
Maxioma wrote:Thanks Marc. I take there is also no way to specify a particular track (ie A5) to burn its Clip Name. Eg: If I want to burn the music cue name-version. Do people in professional environments handle all this critical stuff manually?

I believe so. You figure, even a major feature would only have -- what? -- 20, 25 music cues? It wouldn't be that hard to do to type it in manually. My joke for years has been, "well, that's what the assistant editor does."

Major studios put all kinds of visual data in burn-ins. Here's an example:

Return to DaVinci Resolve