Render Caches in shared projects

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Rune Felix Holm

Render Caches in shared projects

PostThu Mar 02, 2023 11:08 am

We share projects on our SAN and have problems with render caches. Whenever we open a project on another machine all render caches are gone and we have to re render the entire timeline to get playback.
Is there not any way to share render caches between machines? Has anyone found a workaround?

timewilltell

Re: Render Caches in shared projects

PostThu Mar 02, 2023 1:16 pm

Rune Felix Holm wrote:We share projects on our SAN and have problems with render caches. Whenever we open a project on another machine all render caches are gone and we have to re render the entire timeline to get playback.
Is there not any way to share render caches between machines? Has anyone found a workaround?

Dosen't the "Cache files location" work? It is located in "working Folders" In you project settings.
If it isn't set, try setting it to a location everyone can reach.

If that dosen't work maybe try setting your "media storage" locations to the same folder.

Our solution which I find work very good is having our raw media and proxies on a NAS and cached files/optimized media locally on very fast Nvme drives. That way everyone can access all media and edit with proxies but if you want to cache for work in fusion or grade with high quality media, we cache what we want/need locally for maximum speed.
I find that the cache is also more stable that way.

Jim Simon

PostThu Mar 02, 2023 2:00 pm

You're using a Network Database, Rune?
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Rune Felix Holm

PostThu Mar 16, 2023 2:11 pm

Hi Jim

Sorry for the late reply

Yes we are using a network database. Do you know how we set a global cache destination on our san to avoid re rendering the caches everytime we open the project on a new machine?

Jim Simon

PostSat Mar 18, 2023 4:23 pm

Sorry, I don't. I'm only familiar with Local Libraries/Databases.

But maybe the same approach works for both.

You set Cache location in Project Settings>Master Settings>Optimized Media and Render Cache. (Ideally whatever location you specify here will be the first entry under Preferences>System>Media Storage.)
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Ryan Bloomer

PostMon Mar 20, 2023 6:28 pm

From what I've encountered in the past, and from information for shared projects, the way Resolve is currently set up, it is not designed to share cache. It's designed for each user to cache in it's own way. So if a more powerful system can cache to DNxHR 444 and another caches to DNxHR proxy, the cache is available to each users preference.

Utilizing render in place can be a way to "globally" share cache between users by creating intermediate files. I've requested this in the past, but would need to go back through the request forum to find where.

Return to DaVinci Resolve