Crashing on Startup

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

heyitsterry

Crashing on Startup

PostMon Mar 13, 2023 10:17 am

Hello everyone, first time poster but long time DR user.

Noticed this issue when I first updated to Resolve 18.1.4, but now it's also doing it when I rolled back to the previous version.

When I first open Resolve, the software hangs for about 30 seconds. Windows even goes as far to give me a prompt to force close it because it's become unresponsive.

Afterwards, I'm able to interact with the software and edit like normal. but sometimes it crashes for no apparent reason. I can be doing something like saving my work, crash. changing the audio device for audio playback? crash.

It's never done this to me before so I was just wondering if maybe anyone else has this issue.

Ryzen 5900x
32Gb memory at 3000MT/s
RTX 4080 with latest drivers (531.18)

I did run the Log capture so if anyone can tell me how to upload up on here I'll provide it!

Thanks everyone!

*EDIT*
Added a pastebin with the Logs!
https://pastebin.com/WktjvzvZ

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

Re: Crashing on Startup

PostMon Mar 13, 2023 4:48 pm

As a test, in File Explorer go to this folder:

C:\Users\heyit\AppData\Roaming\Blackmagic Design

and rename the DaVinci Resolve folder to DaVinci Resolve.old

Now see if Resolve launches more quickly, and if so, if it's more stable.

Doing the above will remove all user preferences and database locations aside from the default Local - Local Database location. If that's the only Project Library you have, you shouldn't see any change. If you have additional Project Libraries, those will go away after doing the above folder rename, and need to be re-added. Any Resolve Preferences changes you've made would also need to be redone.

If renaming the folder has no effect on startup times, I'd rename the new DaVinci Resolve folder that got created to DaVinci Resolve.default, and put the original folder back, i.e. rename DaVinci Resolve.old back to DaVinci Resolve.

In the future, for troubleshooting issues, we would need the following info:

In a File Explorer window, go to:

C:\Program Files\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve

and run CaptureLogs

This will place a Resolve log file named similar to this on your Windows desktop: DaVinci-Resolve-logs-20181228_140434.zip (You may not see the .zip extension if your system is set to hide known extensions).

Then open Windows System Information and do a File - Save (Not a File Export), which will generate a .NFO file.

Place both those files on a file sharing site and provide links to the files here. Make sure the links don't require access credentials.

If you are a new Forum user, you may not be allowed to post URLs. If this happens, just put a space near the front of the URL, so the system doesn't think it's a URL.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

heyitsterry

PostMon Mar 13, 2023 11:15 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:As a test, in File Explorer go to this folder:

C:\Users\heyit\AppData\Roaming\Blackmagic Design

and rename the DaVinci Resolve folder to DaVinci Resolve.old

Now see if Resolve launches more quickly, and if so, if it's more stable.

Doing the above will remove all user preferences and database locations aside from the default Local - Local Database location. If that's the only Project Library you have, you shouldn't see any change. If you have additional Project Libraries, those will go away after doing the above folder rename, and need to be re-added. Any Resolve Preferences changes you've made would also need to be redone.

If renaming the folder has no effect on startup times, I'd rename the new DaVinci Resolve folder that got created to DaVinci Resolve.default, and put the original folder back, i.e. rename DaVinci Resolve.old back to DaVinci Resolve.

In the future, for troubleshooting issues, we would need the following info:

In a File Explorer window, go to:

C:\Program Files\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve

and run CaptureLogs

This will place a Resolve log file named similar to this on your Windows desktop: DaVinci-Resolve-logs-20181228_140434.zip (You may not see the .zip extension if your system is set to hide known extensions).

Then open Windows System Information and do a File - Save (Not a File Export), which will generate a .NFO file.

Place both those files on a file sharing site and provide links to the files here. Make sure the links don't require access credentials.

If you are a new Forum user, you may not be allowed to post URLs. If this happens, just put a space near the front of the URL, so the system doesn't think it's a URL.

I'll try this when I get home! Thanks!

heyitsterry

PostTue Mar 14, 2023 1:08 am

This can be marked as solved! Renaming the folder to .old fixed it :D

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Mar 14, 2023 1:28 am

OK, that means that there was something weird in the Preferences area causing that to happen.

By renaming that folder, all the Resolve preferences were recreated with factory defaults.

Be sure that if you had anything modified in Resolve Preferences, that you make those changes as needed.
Dwaine Maggart

heyitsterry

PostThu Mar 16, 2023 7:38 am

Dwaine Maggart wrote:OK, that means that there was something weird in the Preferences area causing that to happen.

By renaming that folder, all the Resolve preferences were recreated with factory defaults.

Be sure that if you had anything modified in Resolve Preferences, that you make those changes as needed.

ok so, it was fine for a day or two. not it's back to hanging at launch but this time for nearly a full minute.
I tried renaming the folder again but sadly that didn't work.

if I can't get this fixed I'll be forced to move back to premiere for the time being as I can't downtime like this to troubleshoot. before BM release version 18 I ever had issues like this.

if anyone might know of something else to try, please let me know.

*edit* added Links to system info a DR logs
https: //drive.google.com/drive/folders/1VsCjw8OmLNpaRKw_J6x0Fvw_m1D2NLxs?usp=sharing

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Mar 16, 2023 5:45 pm

It seems to be hanging in relation to a Fusion script server.

But I'm not sure what that is, since my Windows Resolve logs aren't showing anything about a script server.

Do you have some sort of Fusion related script server setup?
Dwaine Maggart

heyitsterry

PostThu Mar 16, 2023 8:13 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:It seems to be hanging in relation to a Fusion script server.

But I'm not sure what that is, since my Windows Resolve logs aren't showing anything about a script server.

Do you have some sort of Fusion related script server setup?

Not only do I not have one set up, I never use fusion at all in my workflow. I don't have a server because I'm an independent creator that work alone with no team involved at all. So I have no idea why it would be doing that :cry:

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Mar 17, 2023 12:12 am

Once Resolve opens, go into Resolve Preferences - System - General and at the top of the General Preferences area, select the "External Scripting Using" dropdown menu and select None. Then save the prefs and restart the system. Does that solve the startup issue?
Dwaine Maggart

heyitsterry

PostFri Mar 17, 2023 4:38 am

Dwaine Maggart wrote:Once Resolve opens, go into Resolve Preferences - System - General and at the top of the General Preferences area, select the "External Scripting Using" dropdown menu and select None. Then save the prefs and restart the system. Does that solve the startup issue?

Funny you mentioned that! Happened to find that setting today while they ng to troubleshoot. Selecting None did in fact make it start normally. I'll report back in a few days on a final verdict!

AndrewHallNZ

PostMon Mar 20, 2023 8:34 am

I have been having a similar problem since updating to 18.1.4 b9. It hangs on the startup image and I have to do a windows (11) restart to get back to normal (haven't tried end process so far). I am trying the ""External Scripting Using" dropdown menu and select None" option and first time seemed to help. Will report back if the problem continues.

Andrew
Intel i9 12900F; Z690M DDR5 Desktop Motherboard; 64GB DDR5-4800; RTX3080 12GB GDDR6; Windows 11, Resolve Studio
https://www.youtube.com/@NewZealandBirdsNature

AndrewHallNZ

PostWed Mar 22, 2023 9:44 pm

Update, despite having set the ""External Scripting Using" dropdown menu to None" this is still happening. I have to quit resolve via Task Manager and then when I restart it sends me to the project manager which allows me to restart normally. This has never happened to me prior to the recent update and I am opening and closing Resolve many times every single day for the past 6 months.

Cheers Andrew
Intel i9 12900F; Z690M DDR5 Desktop Motherboard; 64GB DDR5-4800; RTX3080 12GB GDDR6; Windows 11, Resolve Studio

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Mar 22, 2023 10:30 pm

A Resolve diagnostics log and a Mac System Information .spx file could be helpful.

EDIT: @Andrew: Not sure why I thought you had a Mac. Since you are on Windows, would need a Resolve log and a Windows System Information .NFO file, not an .spx file, which would be for Mac.
Last edited by Dwaine Maggart on Fri Mar 24, 2023 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dwaine Maggart

heyitsterry

PostFri Mar 24, 2023 7:23 am

While this fix seems to have worked for me, I hope you get your issues solved Andrew!

AndrewHallNZ

PostWed Mar 29, 2023 9:51 am

Sorry about the delay in replying. The crash has not happened again which is pleasing so nothing to report there. If it does will come back again and supply the requested files.

Thanks so much for the response.

Andrew from New Zealand

Return to DaVinci Resolve