Choosing the right version

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

AoD_Talons

Choosing the right version

PostTue Mar 14, 2023 4:48 pm

so I have been looking at the features between the 2 versions of Davinci Resolve and trying to figure out the best version for me. wihtout going into full specs theres 2 pcs that it be put on 1) has an i7-8700K processor and 2) a Ryzen 9 5950X. im not sure based on initial reading of everything if one version is definitely better then the other in regards to my processor(s). I can post full specs on both if needed.

Jim Simon

Re: Choosing the right version

PostWed Mar 15, 2023 1:53 pm

Your hardware isn't relevant to the question.

Do you need Studio features? If so, then you need the Studio version.

Until then, use the Free version. ;)
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Charles Bennett

PostWed Mar 15, 2023 4:09 pm

If it helps, these are features that are only available in the Studio version. Bear in mind this list is from July 2022. Both the Free and Studio versions of Resolve have the same minimum system requirements.
https://documents.blackmagicdesign.com/SupportNotes/DaVinci_Resolve_Studio_Features.pdf?_v=1658732410000
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 build 20
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (551.86 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

Uli Plank

PostThu Mar 16, 2023 2:25 am

Well, your hardware is relevant for the question if buying Studio will serve you at all.
What is your GPU and which codecs and resolutions do you want to work with?
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

AoD_Talons

PostThu Mar 16, 2023 3:24 pm

So what the goal is is to make videos for our business site. the 2 cameras we have used /are using are some type cannon not sure the exact model just know its not a handicam model. and go pro or other type of small go pro like camera. wanted to make videos (final product) as professional looking as possible for youtube and our website. haven't uploaded videos to the website yet so i dont know if its the same as just re uploading a youtube formated video or something different.

Charles Bennett

PostFri Mar 17, 2023 9:22 pm

One thing to consider is the bit depth the cameras record at. If it is 8bit then you can use the Free version. 10bit files will require the Studio version as they are not supported in the Free version..
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 build 20
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (551.86 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

Gordonjcp

PostFri Mar 17, 2023 11:06 pm

AoD_Talons wrote:So what the goal is is to make videos for our business site. the 2 cameras we have used /are using are some type cannon not sure the exact model just know its not a handicam model. and go pro or other type of small go pro like camera. wanted to make videos (final product) as professional looking as possible for youtube and our website. haven't uploaded videos to the website yet so i dont know if its the same as just re uploading a youtube formated video or something different.

So really, it doesn't matter which version you need to get. Just get the newest version. Don't bother with Studio, yet. Free is fine.

The cameras you have are probably fine, too. If your cameras output some really weird format, you'll want Shutter Encoder which is really just a convenient front-end for ffmpeg, which can turn any media format into any other media format.

What you *will* need to do is this - you will need to hit Youtube and learn about techniques for shooting and lighting to get the best out of the kit you have, and how to put together a coherent video. If you work through the BMD training material like stuff like the vegan cafe, and the T-shirt shop clips, that'll put you in a good place for seeing how the shots interact.

The one-minute "make my editing not look silly" tricks are - try to match eyelines between shots so you don't take your viewer's eye off the subjects, try to cut between two very different shots (like don't go from a closeup to a little bit wider, go really wide), and cut on movement - don't show me standing up then cut to me walking, cut as I'm halfway out of my seat. Oh, and don't use transitions, except maybe lap dissolves, unless you really really mean it. If you're going for a "special effects" transition make it a big lairy rainbow star wipe or something, with an ironic little eyeroll, you cheese monster.

The one-minute "make my shooting not look silly tricks are - get all the "safe" stuff first before you get creative, point the camera at the person you're shooting with the lens at their eye height and sit beside it with your eyes at lens height, so they're talking to you and the viewer is sitting beside you, and don't "cross the line" - if something is moving left to right across the shot, it should be moving left to right in the next shot unless it genuinely has turned around and is coming back this way again. Oh, and stay off the zoom. Keep your shots fairly static and "boring". If you're going to zoom, pick something to "pivot" on and try to pan to keep it the same distance from the edge of the screen as you zoom in, because if you just zoom straight into the middle it feels like you've grabbed me by the back of the head and shoved me forwards into the scene. Zoom in, focus, zoom out, keep the focus on manual. Or, through it on Auto Lock and hope for the best!

You know what? Whatever you've shot will probably edit up into something just fine.

Uli Plank

PostSat Mar 18, 2023 1:57 am

To help you avoiding the wrong investment we need to know exactly which cameras these are, or, even, better, their codec. If you don't know the latter, post a short clip to a cloud service and give us the link.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

AoD_Talons

PostSat Mar 18, 2023 10:41 pm

SO the cameras that would be used would be a Canon VIXIA HF G30 HD Camcorder with HD CMOS Pro, A go pro/ go pro like cam, and a Nikon z7. im not sure the codecs on them but i know last tiem we shot any sort of video on the canon it was 4k if not higher quality.

Gordonjcp

PostMon Mar 20, 2023 9:32 pm

AoD_Talons wrote:SO the cameras that would be used would be a Canon VIXIA HF G30 HD Camcorder with HD CMOS Pro, A go pro/ go pro like cam, and a Nikon z7. im not sure the codecs on them but i know last tiem we shot any sort of video on the canon it was 4k if not higher quality.

If you could upload a few seconds from each to somewhere, then I'm sure someone will be able to advise you how well they'll work.

AoD_Talons

PostWed Mar 22, 2023 3:51 pm

I was researching the cameras a bit. i know the Canon can shoot in mp4 and AVCHD formats, the nikon video is MOV or MP4 but with the h.264 compression on it and im not sure on the go pro cuase im not sure which particular model of go pro it is to look up its specs

Return to DaVinci Resolve