Audio Glitches on some exports

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

djaychela

Audio Glitches on some exports

PostSat Mar 18, 2023 8:30 am

I'm having issues with occasional glitches on exported files. These glitches are not part of the source material or editing issues, and I'm not using any VST plugins or similar (I do all my audio processing beforehand in Cubase, and then import the edited/processed audio into Resolve).

The glitches are short burst of "digital noise", and they don't occur at edit points or anything obvious like that. They are consistent in that if I do the same export again, they appear in the same place in the same file.

I can fix them by making cuts in silence in the audio a few seconds before and after, and moving the audio by (say) one frame later, and then it won't do it again. (This generally doesn't matter for most of what I do as it's not got video synched to a speaker on screen).

System Spec:
Windows 10
Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9900KF CPU @ 3.60GHz 3.60 GHz
32.0 GB RAM
RTX 3060 Graphics Card
Presonus Studio 1824c Audio Interface

I can't find a specific way to reproduce this - it just appears to be something that happens sometimes but I can't see a pattern to it.

This is on Resolve 18.1.4 Build 9, but I've seen it on previous Resolve 18 versions.

Screenshot shows the glitched audio (top), and the fixed audio by moving that segment by 1 frame.

resolve audio.png
Glitched audio (top), fixed audio (bottom)
resolve audio.png (39.62 KiB) Viewed 1744 times

Reynaud Venter

Re: Audio Glitches on some exports

PostSat Mar 18, 2023 5:53 pm

Are the artefacts present regardless of deliverable format and settings?

Is the deliverable output via the Deliver page or an alternate method (e.g. QuickExport or audio only file output)?
⟦ Mac Pro 7,1 Rack ⊕ 16-core 3.2GHz ⊕ 32GB RAM ⊕ Radeon 580X • Resolve Studio 19.0 • macOS 14.4.1 ⟧
⟦ Fairlight Studio Console ⊕ Fairlight Audio Accelerator ⊕ Merging Hapi • Anubis • Ravenna CoreAudio VAD ⟧

djaychela

PostSun Mar 19, 2023 8:09 am

Reynaud Venter wrote:Are the artefacts present regardless of deliverable format and settings?

Yes - my usual output format is .MP4 with H264, but it's present in .MOV and H265 as well.

Changing the in/out range gets rid of the issue - I have to export the entire timeline in this case to get the error - if I only do a minute or so it doesn't happen, which is a bit annoying with this example as it's half an hour long!

Reynaud Venter wrote:Is the deliverable output via the Deliver page or an alternate method (e.g. QuickExport or audio only file output)?

Output is done via the deliver page.

Marc Wielage

PostSun Mar 19, 2023 8:56 am

djaychela wrote:I'm having issues with occasional glitches on exported files. These glitches are not part of the source material or editing issues, and I'm not using any VST plugins or similar (I do all my audio processing beforehand in Cubase, and then import the edited/processed audio into Resolve).

What is the audio source format?
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

djaychela

PostSun Mar 19, 2023 8:59 am

Marc Wielage wrote:What is the audio source format?

Imported audio is 44.1kHz 16-bit WAV, Interleaved Stereo

Reynaud Venter

PostMon Mar 20, 2023 9:27 am

Similar behaviour with source media at 48k?
⟦ Mac Pro 7,1 Rack ⊕ 16-core 3.2GHz ⊕ 32GB RAM ⊕ Radeon 580X • Resolve Studio 19.0 • macOS 14.4.1 ⟧
⟦ Fairlight Studio Console ⊕ Fairlight Audio Accelerator ⊕ Merging Hapi • Anubis • Ravenna CoreAudio VAD ⟧

djaychela

PostThu Sep 07, 2023 7:08 am

I have changed my workflow so that I always export 48k 16-bit audio for import into Resolve... and I'm still having the same issue. Had it twice this week, exactly the same as before, and fixed by moving the audio one frame to stop it.

In one case, the glitch happened during a longer section of audio (i.e. in the edit, the audio was a minute or so long), which I don't think I'd seen before - typically it's during short edits. Again, the fix was straightforward (razor before the glitch, move the offending section by 1 frame, re-export and check in an audio editor), but it's now adding an extra step to my workflow as I have to import the audio from any video exports to ensure there aren't any glitches in there when I make a tiny edit to another part of the same video.

djaychela

PostFri Oct 20, 2023 12:54 pm

I'm still seeing this issue, even when using audio media which is at 48k (which I do for everything I'm going to use in Resolve).

It happens reasonably often, and in today's case, it's in the middle of a long project where there was no audio edit anywhere near the glitch area. Two images are attached - one of the audio output...

resolve audio output issue.png
Audio glitches in output video file.
resolve audio output issue.png (16.49 KiB) Viewed 1032 times

This shows the area in Resolve where the glitch happened - there are no audio edits happening here.

resolve edit area.png
Edit area showing there are no edits here
resolve edit area.png (55 KiB) Viewed 1032 times

I've fixed it by making cuts in the silence either side of this phrase and moving it one frame, and re-exporting. This is always fixable, but it's becoming painful as this happens pretty regularly now, and I have to import the audio from every export into a DAW and check for level issues.

Jim Simon

PostSat Oct 21, 2023 10:29 pm

What happens if you try a different approach, Darren?

Leave Cubase out of it. Do all the work in Fairlight.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

djaychela

PostSun Oct 22, 2023 7:06 am

Hi Jim

Unfortunately a lot of my content is about working in Cubase, so not using it for the audio generation isn't really an option for me....

Steve Alexander

PostSun Oct 22, 2023 11:18 am

You didn't mention it, but you wouldn't happen to be using nested timelines?
Time Traveller
Resolve Studio 18.6.6 | Fusion Studio 18.6.6 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4

Reynaud Venter

PostSun Oct 22, 2023 11:24 am

Any improvement reducing the Render Speed preference on the File tab of the Deliver page?

djaychela

PostSun Oct 22, 2023 11:33 am

Steve Alexander wrote:You didn't mention it, but you wouldn't happen to be using nested timelines?

I am not using nested timelines.

Reynaud Venter wrote:Any improvement reducing the Render Speed preference on the File tab of the Deliver page?

I shall give that a try and report back.

Steve Alexander

PostSun Oct 22, 2023 11:35 am

Reynaud Venter wrote:Any improvement reducing the Render Speed preference on the File tab of the Deliver page?

That's a great suggestion, Reynaud. I must admit that I've never understood why the render speed setting can improve symptoms of encode corruption. It's as if there are buffer overruns if you try to push things too fast on a less powerful system, but that points to an encode pipeline issue, doesn't it?
Time Traveller
Resolve Studio 18.6.6 | Fusion Studio 18.6.6 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4

Jim Simon

PostSun Oct 22, 2023 2:12 pm

djaychela wrote:Unfortunately a lot of my content is about working in Cubase, so not using it for the audio generation isn't really an option for me....
Hmmm.

My thinking was that Cubase was doing something when writing the file that Resolve just didn't like. That's why I suggested not using it's audio files.

Might still be worth testing audio generated elsewhere, as a baseline.

If it's only the Cubase files that this happens with, we have a thread to pull.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

djaychela

PostSun Oct 22, 2023 2:35 pm

The problem with that is that it would mean completely changing my workflow, for a maybe 1 in 10 issue that I can't predict whether or not it's going to happen. I've had a couple of weeks recently without any issues, and thought an update to resolve had fixed it... but it hadn't. Another time I had 3 out of 12 exports in a project I was doing have issues.

There's no meaningful way for me to work and create output with a substitute workflow generated elsewhere - it'd mean totally changing the way I work and I'd still not be sure that it was a fix as it's not repeatable.

djaychela

PostFri Oct 27, 2023 3:32 pm

So, an update. I've had a project to day that exhibited the issue.

Changing the render speed to slower than maximum (I set it to 50) made no difference - identical glitching in the audio.

I created a project archive and transferred it to my macbook Pro (M1 Max) and imported and rendered it on there. No glitch present when doing that.

Return to DaVinci Resolve