Planar Tracker not tracking to end.

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

poporacer

Planar Tracker not tracking to end.

PostMon Mar 20, 2023 2:43 am

I am trying to follow the Fusion Guide where you are putting the Eat at Joe's sign on the Van but wanted to extend the clip to where the van is totally off the screen for learning purposes. The shot in the Training manual is 111 frames but the van is still in the frame, I want to extend it to 124 frames with the van totally out of the frame. I started with a new timeline and when I apply the Planar Tracker, it will track to frame 115 and stop the tracking. This is where the van is almost off the screen. I assume that the Planar Tracker does not have enough data to continue? How can I track an object that goes off screen? The Tracker has an option to append tracking data, but I can't seem to figure out how to do that with the Planar Tracker. I could probably make it work by splitting the clip, but I would think that DVR could handle tracking shots that go off screen?

Any suggestions?

Any suggestions?
PlanarTracker.jpg
PlanarTracker.jpg (221.91 KiB) Viewed 1840 times
Last edited by poporacer on Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If to err is human, I am super human!
(System 1)
DVR Studio 18.6.6
Windows 10
AMD Ryzen 5 3600
96GB Ram
NVidia RTX 4070 TI

(System 2)
MacBook Pro
M1 Max Processor
64 GB RAM

Hendrik Proosa

Re: Planar Tracker not tracking to end.

PostMon Mar 20, 2023 6:37 am

You can track the last section using point tracker (track some visible feature on the back end of van) and use the transform it produces to move the sign off screen. This kind of takeovers between transforms are pretty common in vfx, the only thing you need to make sure is that previous transform stops at the takeover frame and reference frame of next transformation (where it hasn’t moved) is on the same frame.

It is easier to do this kind of manipulations if you generate an explicit transformations from the trackers, by exporting it into cornerpins (from planar trackers) or transform nodes, as you can easily add these one after another. Can do it with tracker nodes themselves too but you gave to select proper modes in them, so that they don’t render the bg.
I do stuff

poporacer

Re: Planar Tracker not tracking to end.

PostMon Mar 20, 2023 2:32 pm

Thanks!
I had a feeling that it was the limitation of the Planar Tracker and might have to combine tracking methods...
If to err is human, I am super human!
(System 1)
DVR Studio 18.6.6
Windows 10
AMD Ryzen 5 3600
96GB Ram
NVidia RTX 4070 TI

(System 2)
MacBook Pro
M1 Max Processor
64 GB RAM

Return to DaVinci Resolve