How do I disable caching for this image in Davinci?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

PaulF9

How do I disable caching for this image in Davinci?

PostMon Mar 20, 2023 11:24 am

In all of my projects I use a yellow circle image so I can easily align different faces to the position of where I place the circle from cut to cut.

The problem is this yellow circle image is cached, even though I disabled all these cache settings:

Render cache > user
Fusion render cache > off
Render cache fusion output > off
Render cache color output > off
Node cache > off

The exception being user cache which I prefer to keep enabled for transitions and color grades that need it (the yellow circle doesn't need it).

How come with those settings Davinci still feels it needs to cache a measly png image?

The image spans whole timelines, and every time I move the circle, which I do a lot by design, it caches again which makes my laptop continuously and unnecessarily run like a pressure cooker.

Am I missing some setting that will allow me to disable caching for an image? Thanks

Jim Simon

Re: How do I disable caching for this image in Davinci?

PostMon Mar 20, 2023 3:04 pm

There seems to be some kind of caching going on with images in general. This is why updating an image file on disk won't immediately show those changes in Resolve.

It's a flawed design, in my view.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

PaulF9

Re: How do I disable caching for this image in Davinci?

PostMon Mar 20, 2023 4:14 pm

Project settings>Master Settings>Optimized media and render cache; uncheck "Automatically cache composites in User mode"

The solution was provided to me on reddit here: https://www.reddit.com/r/davinciresolve ... t/jcyil6l/

Happy to see there's such a simple solution to it.

Return to DaVinci Resolve