Voice over workflow

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

aindless

Voice over workflow

PostMon Mar 20, 2023 1:20 pm

Hey guys, so i managed to learn a bit about DVR Fairlight and the workflow of patching the mic and arming and recording on a mono track and so on but i have a few problems:

1. Doing a lot of mistakes i stop and delete the cut bits that i don't like but it seems all these mini cuts are left over in the directory i set in preferences as many wav files. Can i somehow easy select all unused audio files and delete them from everywhere ?

2. Since on Windows the h265 mp4 export is limited at 192 kbit and adding the first point.. should i use a external app to record my voice over, cut and prepare it as uncompressed wav for importing the finalized file into davinci and then mix it with the video and export it for youtube ?
Should i invest time in learning Audacity and then prepare the video in DVR Studio ? Or are there other not so expensive alternatives for easy but uncompressed-to-wav voice recording ?

Thanks !
Using DaVinci Resolve Studio on Windows 11 (12700K - 64 gb ram - rtx4080s - ssd)

Reynaud Venter

Re: Voice over workflow

PostMon Mar 20, 2023 2:12 pm

aindless wrote:Can i somehow easy select all unused audio files and delete them from everywhere ?
Resolve's Media Management tool provides the option to only include used media, allowing the Project's associated capture folder to be removed.

Since on Windows the h265 mp4 export is limited at 192 kbit and adding the first point.. should i use a external app to record my voice over, cut and prepare it as uncompressed wav for importing the finalized file into davinci and then mix it with the video and export it for youtube ?
Separate acquisition and delivery.

An mp4 deliverable will result in compressed audio whether recording in Fairlight or via an external audio application.

If audio quality is a concern, consider a deliverable format (intermediate) with uncompressed audio streams.
⟦ Mac Pro 7,1 Rack ⊕ 16-core 3.2GHz ⊕ 32GB RAM ⊕ Radeon 580X • Resolve Studio 19.0 • macOS 14.4.1 ⟧
⟦ Fairlight Studio Console ⊕ Fairlight Audio Accelerator ⊕ Merging Hapi • Anubis • Ravenna CoreAudio VAD ⟧

aindless

Re: Voice over workflow

PostMon Mar 20, 2023 2:25 pm

Reynaud Venter wrote:An mp4 deliverable will result in compressed audio whether recording in Fairlight or via an external audio application.

If audio quality is a concern, consider a deliverable format (intermediate) with uncompressed audio streams.

I preffer the highest quality but i would also like to media manage the audio cuts and saves more easily. I'm gonna check your suggestion, thanks !
Using DaVinci Resolve Studio on Windows 11 (12700K - 64 gb ram - rtx4080s - ssd)

Return to DaVinci Resolve