No sound whe playing clip in Resolve 18

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Hsv-dirtrider

No sound whe playing clip in Resolve 18

PostMon Mar 20, 2023 8:14 pm

I have not used DaVinci in a while so I went to create a new project. I opened it up and it informed me that a new upgrade was available. I upgraded to the latest version of 18 on the spot.

My requirements are simple I just want to stitch together several clips from an action camera to make a full video. Nothing fancy.

The clips are all .mp4. When I play then on my PC (Windows 10) I can hear audio just fine. When I add them to my project and then play them I do not get any audio out on my headphones even though you can see the audio waveforms below the video as it plays.

I have watched several videos on how to correct the audio issue and have set thing in my preferences as suggested. Mostly just verifying all looks right. When the video play I do not see the audio meters go up and down as they should and I hear nothing in my headphones.

Never had this issue before with previous versions of DaVinci. I have even uninstalled and reinstalled but nothing. Any help is apprteciated.

Hsv-dirtrider

Re: No sound whe playing clip in Resolve 18

PostMon Mar 20, 2023 9:50 pm

DaVinc resolve is not showing up in the Windows Volume Mixer. Any reason why this happens? I set the audio device to allow Exclusive Control.

Alex=Alex

PostMon Mar 20, 2023 11:05 pm

have you tried restarting resolve/your pc? When I have this issue closing and starting usually fixes it.
Inside the box? I didn't know about any box...

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Mar 20, 2023 11:29 pm

If you don't see the audio meters bouncing, you are not going to hear anything.

And yes, you should see Resolve in the Windows Volume Mixer.

That would usually be caused by improper settings in Resolve Preferences - System - Video and Audio I/O.

Make sure that in the Audio I/O area, that the I/O Engine is set to System and that the Output Device is set to Use System Settings.

And then most importantly, uncheck Automatic speaker configuration and make sure that Left and Right is set to Speakers (xxx), and not Un-assigned.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Hsv-dirtrider

PostTue Mar 21, 2023 2:11 am

Thanks. Here is the I/O and Audio preferences. It won't let me select the speakers for both left and right. Only one or the other. See screenshot.

I also cannot get Resolve to show up in Volume Mixer. I have gone thru the steps to set the device Advance Settings for exclusive copntrol but it still doesn't show up. Any thoughts on this?
Attachments
Volume mixer.JPG
Resolve does not show up in Mixer
Volume mixer.JPG (19.82 KiB) Viewed 11026 times
Preferences.JPG
Can only select either left or right
Preferences.JPG (53.68 KiB) Viewed 11026 times

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Mar 21, 2023 6:12 pm

It looks like the issue is related to your Plantronics audio. What happens if you select onboard audio?
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

rabell

PostThu Sep 28, 2023 7:45 pm

What ekse can cause this? I just switched between projects - one sound works, one no meters and no sound. Set audio preferences the same. No, the audio tracks are not muted, and they worked yesterday. VERY bizarre.

Return to DaVinci Resolve