Colour Space Question in Resolve 18

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

John Gilluley

Colour Space Question in Resolve 18

PostTue Mar 21, 2023 3:30 pm

Hi All

I am using Resolve Studio 18 to export delivery masters in ProRes 422 HQ. The ProRes picture and the audio tracks are being supplied to us by outside providers. We are just making the master QT movies for delivery. The picture is ProRes 422 HQ 1920x1080p 23.98fps. Rec709.

My question is, what is the best method to ensure that I don’t accidentally alter the ProRes picture (in a colour-management sense) as I master it out of Resolve? I’m fine with the resolution and frame-rate etc, I just want to be sure that I don’t do anything to alter the colour-space or otherwise mess things up. (The picture has already passed QC check.)

I’m guessing I should leave Resolve’s colour management setting turned off. Is that correct?

Best

John

Jim Simon

Re: Colour Space Question in Resolve 18

PostWed Mar 22, 2023 8:23 pm

My approach here is to use RCM with the default options.

(Ensure the Input Color Space is correct. Right click on clips in the bins.)
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

John Paines

Re: Colour Space Question in Resolve 18

PostWed Mar 22, 2023 11:24 pm

Of course, you don't want to use RCM or ACEs for material you want to avoid altering in any way. Davinci YRGB would be the likelier choice, with its default rec. 709 output. This setting won't potentially alter the footage as it sits on timeline, unlike color management.

But, along with that, the safest thing is to select "enable flat pass" on the Deliver page. What I would worry about is whether this workflow will create the correct tags for the Prores export (assuming that matters in this instance).

Maybe somebody else knows?

Return to DaVinci Resolve