Can I export a project archive with trimmed clips?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

AnthonySneed

Can I export a project archive with trimmed clips?

PostThu Mar 23, 2023 5:25 pm

I have a project that I would like to export as a project archive,
but instead of copying long clips that are pretty large,
I wanted to know if there was a way for Davinci to trim them in any way so my colorist isn't accepting a large number of files.

I've checked in the manual but I don't think I know the correct terminology so I haven't been able to find anything.
anthonysneed.film

John Paines

Re: Can I export a project archive with trimmed clips?

PostThu Mar 23, 2023 6:57 pm

First you trim, as a separate operation, then you archive the trimmed project. Look up "Media Management" in the manual.

AnthonySneed

PostThu Mar 23, 2023 9:41 pm

John Paines wrote:First you trim, as a separate operation, then you archive the trimmed project. Look up "Media Management" in the manual.

When you say "Trimmed" you mean, make sure the clips aren't the full files?
If so, that's already done.

So I export an 18 archive and my colorist can open it on 17?

That's fantastic
anthonysneed.film

John Paines

PostThu Mar 23, 2023 9:54 pm

What's already done? Media Management uses the project as a whole to create new trimmed files which represent footage on the timelines. You need to initiate that process and instruct it to relink to the new files before you archive. If you archive a project "as is", without performing media management, it will include everything in the media pool.
Last edited by John Paines on Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AnthonySneed

PostThu Mar 23, 2023 9:55 pm

John Paines wrote:What's already done? Media Management uses the project as a whole to create new trimmed files which represent footage on the timelines. You need to initiate that process and instruct it to relink to the new files before you archive. If you archive a project "as is", it will include everything in the media pool.

I've already made a separate session with only clips in the media pool that are in the timeline. They're all trimmed too. That should be ok then?
anthonysneed.film

John Paines

PostThu Mar 23, 2023 10:00 pm

If it's already trimmed, unused clips were eliminated and clips were reduced in length to reflect what's on the timeline, then yes. But then I'm not sure why you're asking. You can only archive what's in the project, not what used to be in it.

Uli Plank

PostFri Mar 24, 2023 1:43 am

I’m afraid you are confusing ’trimmed’ on the timeline with trimming of the original files.
Like in any decent NLE, your editing is non-destructive, i. e. DR never changes your original footage. Media Management can trim down your originals while copying to save space.
If that is your intention, follow the advice given above. And then, you could have saved yourself some work, since it's enough if you have your final timeline to be used by Media Management. It'll do all the clean-up for you. Use the command to relink to the new files, check the result carefully (never trust a computer) and then archive that.

This may give you some background:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9i3x06004w0jp ... d.pdf?dl=0
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Return to DaVinci Resolve