Masking in color after keying in edit - possible?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

FlyingZayin

Masking in color after keying in edit - possible?

PostFri Mar 24, 2023 2:57 am

Good morning everyone,

I bumped into a problem last night, and seems I can't solve it without some help from the community.

I normally do basic 3d keying in Edit page because it somehow works a lot easier and better for me than the same in Color page. However yesternight it was a bit more complicated, as I needed to garbage-mask out many things, and a simple rectangle was clearly not enough.

So I finished the keying in Edit, and went to Color to mask and track.

However, nothing I masked in Color wanted to sit well with the keying I did in Edit: a hole immediately appeared in the keyed space, and although I toyed with the masking node for a good hour, trying to toggle outputs, put it in parallel, and through different mixers, nothing worked.

The node tree was very simple and linear: noise reduction -> sharpening -> cst -> LUT -> out. (it was a studio shot, needing no whatever corrections).

So, the question(s) is (are) simple:

- is there a way to garbage mask in Color keying made in Edit?
- if no, is there any elegant way around? (I would much prefer staying out of Fusion: I'm not Fusionphobic but it's not part of my normal routine).

Thanks!
(dvr 18.1.16 studio on PC, if it matters)

Marc Wielage

Re: Masking in color after keying in edit - possible?

PostFri Mar 24, 2023 8:38 am

You could key on the Color page instead, and use a mask on the Color page to restrain the key.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

FlyingZayin

Re: Masking in color after keying in edit - possible?

PostFri Mar 24, 2023 9:28 am

Marc Wielage wrote:You could key on the Color page instead, and use a mask on the Color page to restrain the key.

Like, you really thought I didn't know that option existed?
FlyingZayin wrote:I do basic 3d keying in Edit page because it somehow works a lot easier and better for me than the same in Color page.

Return to DaVinci Resolve