Media Offline

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

benkunz

Media Offline

PostFri Mar 24, 2023 10:32 am

Hi,
I am getting a media offline error on my timeline. I've already had media offline error, and putting back the original file in the folder would do the trick, but not here. My media is still in the original folder, but for some reason it was missing in the media pool. So I dragged it again from the finder to the media pool. Now the media is back in the media pool, but it is still shown as offline in my timeline. how should I do to have my timeline picking up the media ?

I am using the latest version of resolve (not studio) v18.1.4 build 9

regards,
Benoit

Capture d’écran 2023-03-24 à 11.29.51.jpg
Capture d’écran 2023-03-24 à 11.29.51.jpg (411.18 KiB) Viewed 1542 times

Jim Simon

Re: Media Offline

PostFri Mar 24, 2023 3:10 pm

Have you had a chance to complete any of the training yet, Benoit? (I recommend that as a first step, before working on real projects.)

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/produc ... ning#books
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

benkunz

PostFri Mar 24, 2023 3:21 pm

No, I haven't. But I read the official guide of resolve a few years ago, in version 16 or 17, and I've watched hours of tutorials on YouTube.
Any suggestions on my issue? I've been able to recover my timeline using one of the automatic project backup. But I'd like to understand what went wrong. I do have my media in the correct folder but they are still shown as offline. I don't see why.

John Paines

PostFri Mar 24, 2023 3:23 pm

The question here is why is the media disappearing from the media pool? Does it show up as offline in the media pool or is there no trace of it at all? Is this footage on an internal or a removable disk?

If it shows up as offline in *both* the media pool and the timelines, there are ways to automate relinking to both. But if it's disappearing altogether, not sure what the explanation would be. And the relinking process would be different and more cumbersome.

benkunz

PostFri Mar 24, 2023 4:02 pm

Does it show up as offline in the media pool or is there no trace of it at all?
there was no trace of those media in the medial pool, but they were in the appropriate folder. So I reimported them to the media pool, but it didn't make any difference.

Is this footage on an internal or a removable disk?
it is on a dedicated external SSD disk

my media are not offline in the Media tab. I can play the media. But in my timeline, they are shown as offline.

I tried to relink the media. It doesn't change anything: still offline.

Do you know how I could display the path where resolve expect to find those media ?

John Paines

PostFri Mar 24, 2023 5:18 pm

First off, you're likely to have continuing trouble if you keep these media files on the external disk you're using.

That aside, I'm not sure why these files would be disappearing from the media pool, even if they were offline thanks to disrupted connection to the external disk. But if you have the setting "“Automatically conform missing clips added to Media Pool” selected in preferences, adding the clips back to the media pool should conform them automatically to the timeline clips. So check that first.

The other way to do it is using the "Conform lock" feature, one media clip at a time, for each timeline with off-line media. I suggest you look it up in the manual for the instructions. It's easy, but tedious.

But again, these efforts are likely to be wasted, if you keep the files on the external disk.

Joe Shapiro

PostFri Mar 24, 2023 6:31 pm

External disks are only a problem if they get disconnected while Resolve is running. Even in that case though Resolve usually does a good job of automatically reconnecting to the files when the drive comes back online.

Most people manage to not have their external media disconnect. It's not realistic to expect most users to stop using external drives when editing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Director, Editor, Problem Solver. Been cutting indie features for 23 years. FCP editor from version 2 to 7.
Resolve 18.6.6
MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max 64GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1
MacBook Air 13" M1 8GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1

benkunz

PostSat Mar 25, 2023 7:04 am

John Paines wrote:First off, you're likely to have continuing trouble if you keep these media files on the external disk you're using.

I just don't have enough space on my internal disk, and I've been fine for years. I don't disconnect my external drive while working in resolve

John Paines wrote:But if you have the setting "“Automatically conform missing clips added to Media Pool” selected in preferences, adding the clips back to the media pool should conform them automatically to the timeline clips. So check that first.

I checked and the option was already selected

I'll do some reading on the "Conform lock" feature, thanks

benkunz

PostSat Mar 25, 2023 7:19 am

After doing some reading in the official pdf (version of October 2022 v18.1) page 1026 :

Missing clips do not exist in the Media Pool at all, although clips flagged as missing can still appear in the
timelines of your project. However, since missing timeline clips have no corresponding source clips in the
Media Pool, the clip in the timeline has no metadata that can be seen in the Metadata Editor, and it will
have lost any remote grades that are associated with that source clip (for more information about remote
grades, see Chapter 139, “Grade Management.” You can fix missing clips in a timeline in one of two ways:
— If the “Automatically conform missing clips added to Media Pool” setting is enabled in the General
Options panel of the Project Settings, then simply reimport the corresponding source clips into
the Media Pool and they will be automatically conformed to missing clips with matching timecode
and file names in the timeline (this only happens at the time of import, it doesn’t work for
matching clips that are already in the Media Pool). Please note, this setting must be disabled if you
use collaborative workflow.

Well, I did a simple reimport, but it just doesn't do the trick as described. I guess I'll give up... hopefully I had a backup

Joe Shapiro

Media Offline

PostSat Mar 25, 2023 8:08 am

If you want us to explore you can export the project as a DRP, upload to cloud storage, and post a link here.

It might even be small enough to upload directly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Director, Editor, Problem Solver. Been cutting indie features for 23 years. FCP editor from version 2 to 7.
Resolve 18.6.6

Ashton Lamont

PostSat Mar 25, 2023 8:51 am

There are two possible issues other than those already described.

This is for Windows - I am not familiar with other OS's

Firstly it may be possible that the Drive Letter for that specific external drive may not stay the same each time you connect that drive, especially if you also attach other external drives having different drives and therefore some of which may have grapped hold of the previously used letter. This would cause your external drive to be identified by Windows with a different drive letter and Resolve would not see the media (so you would have to re-link the media each time). To avoid this give the drive a specific drive letter by going into Disk Management > Right Click the drive in question > Change Drive Letter And Paths > and specify a suitable letter.

Secondly it may be that the external drive is going to sleep in which case Resolve does not see it. Go into Disk Manager > Universal Serial Bus Controllers > USB Mass Storage Device > Properties > Power Management and untick "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power

John Paines

PostSat Mar 25, 2023 2:09 pm

I don't know of any explanation for why media added to the media pool would disappear completely from the pool (as opposed to showing "offline"), even if the link to storage is broken or the external drive doesn't read at all. Unless maybe this is more common when drive links are lost or reconfigured? But having no experience of that.....

The reason files don't conform automatically when added to the media pool could also be related in some way to that disrupted drive connection --the timeline clips may be "looking" for files which came from the original location, and if the drive letter or other drive configuration keeps changing, it may not seen them. But this is guessing.....

benkunz

PostSat Mar 25, 2023 3:53 pm

Joe Shapiro wrote:If you want us to explore you can export the project as a DRP, upload to cloud storage, and post a link here.

here it is : https://1drv.ms/f/s!Anr_HemnUgpqisgXmis ... w?e=Th1FWj

I also added 2 screenshots in the folder with the drp file. You'll see 2 compound clips : "__saut elastique" and "__saut elastique DOWN".

"__saut elastique DOWN" is the original one, the one that is "corrupted"
"__saut elastique" is the one I restored and that is fixed.

I'll be curious to see what you can find out :)

For the other replies that I received, I am running resolve on a Mac.

Uli Plank

PostSun Mar 26, 2023 1:00 am

Ventura or Monterey?
I've seen unexpected Media Offline messages under Ventura, but not under Monterey.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

benkunz

PostSun Mar 26, 2023 5:30 pm

Ventura 13.2.1

Joe Shapiro

PostSun Mar 26, 2023 9:57 pm

Aha! Ventura may be the issue. Any chance you can go back to Monterey and see if it still happens?
Resolve 18.6.6

Marc Wielage

PostMon Mar 27, 2023 8:39 am

Uli Plank wrote:Ventura or Monterey? I've seen unexpected Media Offline messages under Ventura, but not under Monterey.

We just went through a TON of permissions problems this week on Monterey, but got them all sorted out. I'm staying away from Ventura until they pry Monterey from my cold, dead fingers. Apple has become pernicious and unreasonable with security & permissions these days: they're protecting my computers from myself, which I don't like or appreciate at all.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

benkunz

PostMon Mar 27, 2023 11:40 am

Joe Shapiro wrote:Aha! Ventura may be the issue. Any chance you can go back to Monterey and see if it still happens?

For now no, but if it gets worse, I’ll have to think about it

Uli Plank

PostMon Mar 27, 2023 1:05 pm

If you have any old storage lying around that may be erased, you can put a Monterey boot system on it and add only DR. It doesn't need to be large, just reasonably fast.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Return to DaVinci Resolve