Getting my head around DCP XYZ colorspace in Resolve

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

nucelar

Getting my head around DCP XYZ colorspace in Resolve

PostFri Mar 24, 2023 12:17 pm

Hi all,
I'm trying to optimize my workflow, let me explain the context. I work in the Spanish distribution of feature films. I often receive a DCP (in it's original version) and one of my tasks is to "customize" this DCP and create the Spanish version of it. This includes replacing the title, any on-screen text e.g. "three years later" etc.
For this purpose I also receive the textless elements. Usually this consists of a tiff sequence in XYZ colorspace to match the DCP colorspace.
I'm having a hard time understanding how to bring all this into Resolve, work on it and export the result.
- When I import the DCP into Resolve, it gets detected as such and is shown in "natural" colors (i.e. there is a xyz to ??? colorspace conversion going on). Where is this conversion taking place?
- When I import the XYZ tiff sequence, they get imported "as is" , i.e. they show in that "greenish" look.

I would like to apply the same conversion of the DCP to the tiff sequence, so textless and texted match color-wise.

Alternatively I would like to disable the color-conversion of the DCP and see it in xyz colorspace, so it matches the unprocessed tiffs.

In any case I, once the work has been done of creating the customization, I would like to export an image sequence of the clip in xyz , so I can incorporate it in the DCP authoring I do outside of Resolve.

Is anyone doing something similar?

Thanks

Igor Riđanović

Re: Getting my head around DCP XYZ colorspace in Resolve

PostFri Mar 24, 2023 5:15 pm

There are several ways you can do this. To make everything "look greenish" in Resolve you can leave the color management in the default DaVinci YRGB position but change your timeline and output color spaces to DCI X'Y'Z'.

That way everything should look the same in Resolve and if you're maybe using a projector that works in XYZ than you can display the picture correctly.
www.metafide.com - DaVinci Resolve™ Apps

Robert Arnold

Re: Getting my head around DCP XYZ colorspace in Resolve

PostSun Mar 26, 2023 4:13 am

You can also use the Color Space Transform OFX from the Effects palette on the Color page to transform footage to or from XYZ color space.

Return to DaVinci Resolve