Color Management (Rec709 scene vs. Davinci WG/Intermediate)

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

feetup69

Color Management (Rec709 scene vs. Davinci WG/Intermediate)

PostFri Mar 24, 2023 9:45 pm

I'm aware that Rec709 color space does not capture nearly as much as the CIE color chart, but I am a bit confused by a color management example I saw from a prominent YT colorist, who showed an example using the Color Warper where Davinci WG/Intermediate timeline space didn't push the 'white cloud' out so far, which when pushed to the extents would show clipping.

Well, I have an example shot taken with a Canon C70 in Clog-2, and when I have this set to Davinci WG/Intermediate as my timeline color space, it is pushing the white cloud out significantly further than if I had the color space set to Rec 709 (scene)? Part of me thinks that maybe the youtuber wasn't interpreting the cloud correctly, that maybe the WG space is using a broader, more full range of color depicted in the color warper, and it doesn't necesarily mean the image is trying to clip out because it is a broader cloud. Does that make sense? or is there some other reason why his cloud might have shrunk with Davinci WG vs. his Rec 709, and mine is doing the opposite?

When I switch the two color spaces, the image content doesn't visibly change much, it's very slight. It also does not change much in the scopes, The shot was well exposed and I didn't need to push the image that far to get the look I wanted.

Thanks for any insights. I should also mention that I have a C-Log 2 lut at the end of my workflow, which is expecting Clog-2 input, and converts to Rec 709 output, so I do not have a separate CST at the tail of the node tree.

Hendrik Proosa

Re: Color Management (Rec709 scene vs. Davinci WG/Intermedi

PostSat Mar 25, 2023 7:58 am

It would make a lot more sense if you could post the link to that video you are talking about.

In a lot of cases, ”prominent youtube colorists” tend to either misinterpret what they see/show or mix up different concepts. Going out of gamut (in color science terms, not in video signal terminology) is one of the topics where totally random arguments are frequently made. For example a lot of people think that cranking up exposure will exceed gamut boundaries (rec709 gamut not being able to contain high dynamic range data for example) etc. Most of these ”ideas” are founded on ”ideas” of other random experts in youtube and forums, instead of taking some good handbook on color science and just reading it.
I do stuff.

shebbe

Re: Color Management (Rec709 scene vs. Davinci WG/Intermedi

PostSat Mar 25, 2023 11:43 am

I second what Hendrik said. I haven't come across any color space aware youtube video that properly explains what it means and how it works. Lots of misconceptions when the principle behind it is fairly simple. But it would be nice to see a video or screenshots of what you're doing with the color management settings and the warper.
Home System Resolve 18.6b9: Z790 / i9 13900K / 64GB DDR5 / RTX4090 / Win 11 / ASUS PA32UGC 1600 nits
Office System Resolve 18.6b9: X570 / Ryzen 9 5900X / 128GB DDR4 / RTX4090 / Win 11 / EIZO CG248-K

Return to DaVinci Resolve