DDMF Metaplugin Sendit (VST) causes project not to load

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

tsocrea

DDMF Metaplugin Sendit (VST) causes project not to load

PostMon Mar 27, 2023 12:28 pm

My first post, but have been reading without account for a while.

First the problem then the background why:

1. The issue:

In Fairlight there is possibility to add 3rd party audio processing plugins (VST3).
When I "DDMF Metaplugin" and activate "SendIt" funtionality the Resolve project fails to start. The "load project" just hangs forever and the program becomes completely unresponsive.

The issue is repeatable and I was able to narrow it down to SendIt.

This functionality works 100% ok in FL Studio and Reaper DAW that I also have. But in Fairlight this causes the program to hang.

2. Background

The metaplugin makes it possible to send audio from a channel to another. Since Fairlight is very limited with sidechain functionality so using Metaplugin is obvious choise and since I already have the license for the Metaplugin I used that in my project. Having said that, the project is now more or less dead since it fails to open.

I think this is a bug in Davinci in two different ways.

#1: The Metaplugin should work since it is established plugin for many DAW users.
#2: 3rd party plugins MUST NOT cause the project fail to load!

Any advice other than don't use SendIt?

-tso

----

Last lines in the log:

0x000049fc] | UI | INFO | 2023-03-27 14:53:56,764 | Launching main window
[0x000049fc] | SyManager | WARN | 2023-03-27 14:53:59,161 | No reply received from file system, assume successfully deleted folder E:\videos\Resolve Project Backups\26ec57e3-ea6d-4f89-a966-c36bb0ef5ae2.
[0x000049fc] | SyManager | WARN | 2023-03-27 14:53:59,172 | No reply received from file system, assume successfully deleted folder E:\videos\CacheClip\26ec57e3-ea6d-4f89-a966-c36bb0ef5ae2.
[0x000049fc] | SyManager | WARN | 2023-03-27 14:53:59,183 | No reply received from file system, assume successfully deleted folder E:\videos\.gallery\26ec57e3-ea6d-4f89-a966-c36bb0ef5ae2.

Tekkerue

Re: DDMF Metaplugin Sendit (VST) causes project not to load

PostMon Mar 27, 2023 3:13 pm

Yes, Fairlight can use 3rd party VST3 plugins. I demoed Metaplugin in Resolve when Metaplugin was on sale as I considered getting it as a workaround for Resolve's lack of VST sidechaining. My project never locked up, but I did have pops and clicks while using the send/receive functions that I was never able to figure out (changing audio drivers and increasing buffers did nothing to solve it). In addition, there was an audible amount of latency between the original audio and the audio being received by Metaplugin for the sidechain. Given these problems and I ultimately decided against getting Metaplugin.

Your problem is very different from the problems I had with it. Have you tried any other VST3 plugins to see if they also cause Resolve to lock up?

As a side note, I made a feature request thread for VST sidechaining, you can give it a bump if you like. The more voices showing support the better, because having native support for VST sidechaining would be the best solution over having to resort to hack fixes with third party plugins.
Audio Sidechain for VST Plugins:
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=157282
CPU: Intel Core i7-8700 CPU 3.20GHz
MOBO: ASUS PRIME Z370-A
Graphics: Intel UHD Graphics 630 (Yeah, I know!)
Audio: Audient iD14 USB Interface
Storage: Seagate SATA HDD

tsocrea

PostMon Mar 27, 2023 3:36 pm

I have used several plugins, including quite complex Izotope ones with no hiccups.

I can enable several sidechains with metaplugin SendIt function but unfortunately when I save the project and try to reload it only then the problems occur. And the projectfile is pretty much wasted effort and locked because it resists to open. I only get blank screen.

Thanks for your initiative for sidechains better support for VST. I gave my +1 vote for this feature!

Thanks.

-tso

tsocrea

PostTue Mar 28, 2023 9:02 am

Some more tests.

1) Reboot doesn't remove the problem. so it is not hanging VST or garbage in memory.

2) I can recover the project by temporarily removing the Metaplugin.vst3 from the VST3 folder.
--> the Resolve boots up with Metaplugin disabled.

Further..

I can save project safely with Metaplugin disabled. When the plugin is disabled the Resolve does't try to load it when loading the project. Once the project is fully loaded I can enable the plugin safely and sidechaining works as expected.

So I think this is a bug in project loading phase. Maybe project is not fully initialized when starting up this VST or something. This workaround seems to be reliable.

And my version is Studio 18.1.4 Buid 9 (with paid license)
Attachments
2023-03-28 11_57_01-DaVinci Resolve Studio - metaplugin test.png
2023-03-28 11_57_01-DaVinci Resolve Studio - metaplugin test.png (17.95 KiB) Viewed 540 times

tsocrea

Raum.vst3 crash when disable plugin / close project

PostTue Mar 28, 2023 6:21 pm

Ok.. so Next problem and crash.

This time Raum.vst3 the creative reverb plugin from Native Instruments. Very nice plugin for sound effects btw.

Just load it to any track and ...

.. when you try to close the project --> crash,
.. when you try to disable plugin --> crash

Datadump sent with comment related to Raum.vst3.
Problem is repeatable.

It seems that the Fairlight VST support is quite buggy.

(18.1.4 Buid 9)

--tso

Tekkerue

Re: Raum.vst3 crash when disable plugin / close project

PostWed Mar 29, 2023 2:42 pm

I have Raum and I can confirm. Trying to save the project crashed Resolve on a brand new blank project with nothing else added to it.

tsocrea wrote:It seems that the Fairlight VST support is quite buggy.
This is the first time I've noticed crashes (haven't tried to use Raum in Resolve before), but I've noticed all kinds of other glitches with Fairlight, audio only plays out of the right side and then comes back into the center, settings don't update and it can take a few times of toggling things on/off before they work again (even clearing cache isn't guaranteed to fix it), even simple things like fade in/outs can be glitchy, etc.
CPU: Intel Core i7-8700 CPU 3.20GHz
MOBO: ASUS PRIME Z370-A
Graphics: Intel UHD Graphics 630 (Yeah, I know!)
Audio: Audient iD14 USB Interface
Storage: Seagate SATA HDD

Reynaud Venter

PostWed Mar 29, 2023 2:53 pm

Are the VST2.4 builds of these plugins exhibiting similar behaviour?
⟦ Mac Pro 7,1 Rack ⊕ 16-core 3.2GHz ⊕ 32GB RAM ⊕ Radeon 580X • Resolve Studio 19.0 • macOS 14.4.1 ⟧
⟦ Fairlight Studio Console ⊕ Fairlight Audio Accelerator ⊕ Merging Hapi • Anubis • Ravenna CoreAudio VAD ⟧

Return to DaVinci Resolve