Ram and multicam timeline

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

wemrick1

Ram and multicam timeline

PostMon Mar 27, 2023 1:42 pm

Have a seven angle multicam I am working with and am getting extremally bad video lag.

All files are recorded at 23.987 (Canon at 24)
All files are 4k, either HD or DCI
4 angles are Braw
1 angle is Canon raw lite
1 angle is GoPro
1 angle is audio only LTC

The multi clip will play back fairly well with no color work done on the files. As soon as I color grade them it gets bad. I'm worried that if I cut all the angles first then I will have to color grade each tiny sub-clip instead of each file.

I have 16Gb ram in the machine and am contemplating extending that to 48Gb. I am not sure that will be the answer to the lag. Anybody have experience with this scenario?

VMFXBV

Re: Ram and multicam timeline

PostMon Mar 27, 2023 2:01 pm

RAM wouldn't really help here.

Its a GPU issue most likely or depending on what you do with the multicam (play multiple files at the same time for example) it could be a CPU / disk drive issue, especially disk drive if the files are all located on the same disk.

To go around the color grading issue, I would put each angle on its own timeline track, do the cuts then color a clip from each track and copy paste to all the other clips from the same angle. And disable tracks one at a time (other angles) if it gets too heavy.
AMD Ryzen 5800X3D
AMD Radeon 7900XTX
Ursa Mini 4.6K
Pocket 4K

Jim Simon

PostMon Mar 27, 2023 2:08 pm

My practice (and recommendation) is to Cut first, Color later.

There are several ways to handle the Color work. A big help is Color Management.

Also helpful are features like Group Grades, Shared Nodes and Remote Grades. And you can always right click on a Multicam segment and Open in Timeline, which would allow you to grade each angle individually.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

wemrick1

PostMon Mar 27, 2023 2:24 pm

Jim Simon wrote:My practice (and recommendation) is to Cut first, Color later.

There are several ways to handle the Color work. A big help is Color Management.

Also helpful are features like Group Grades, Shared Nodes and Remote Grades. And you can always right click on a Multicam segment and Open in Timeline, which would allow you to grade each angle individually.

This sounds like a really hopeful answer, so ok, here's what I gather......

1. I do use color management so that is in place
2. In the edit page after ensuring all angles are encoded with meta data time code, select all angles for multicam and create multi cam "clip". Place multi cam clip in timeline.
3. Open multicam "clip" in timeline and do minor adjustments to timing (always get a little with Tentacle)
4. Close multicam clip in time line and use multicam editing to make cuts between angles.
5. Open timeline once more and color grade each angle.

Then the color grading will applied to all of the cuts made in the multicam cut process?

wemrick1

PostMon Mar 27, 2023 2:27 pm

VMFXBV wrote:RAM wouldn't really help here.

Its a GPU issue most likely or depending on what you do with the multicam (play multiple files at the same time for example) it could be a CPU / disk drive issue, especially disk drive if the files are all located on the same disk.

To go around the color grading issue, I would put each angle on its own timeline track, do the cuts then color a clip from each track and copy paste to all the other clips from the same angle. And disable tracks one at a time (other angles) if it gets too heavy.

I glad I asked before just buying ram. I can do a couple hundred for ram but I'm not to excited about dropping a G on a new video card.

Jim Simon

PostMon Mar 27, 2023 2:28 pm

wemrick1 wrote:here's what I gather......
Correct. ;)
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

wemrick1

PostMon Mar 27, 2023 2:40 pm

Jim Simon wrote:
wemrick1 wrote:here's what I gather......
Correct. ;)

:D Thank you my friend!

Jim Simon

PostMon Mar 27, 2023 2:43 pm

homer-approved.jpg
homer-approved.jpg (8.39 KiB) Viewed 358 times
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

wemrick1

PostTue Mar 28, 2023 3:43 pm

Jim Simon wrote:
homer-approved.jpg

Jim, I'm embarrassed to ask but the next logical question is what kind of GPU would I have to get for real time playback after color grading. My Machine is Intel based but I'm at work and don't have specifics at the moment. I have looked at a number of Nvidia GPU's and there is a big jump in price from about $500 to $2000. Of course all of the reviews refer to gaming which I don't do and can't cross reference to Davinci Resolve needs. To be honest, I haven't kept up for years on all of the specifications for computers and well, really don't know how to evaluate performance any longer per specs.

Return to DaVinci Resolve