Can you turn off pitch increase in Fairlight?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

dave4443

Can you turn off pitch increase in Fairlight?

PostMon Mar 27, 2023 4:35 pm

Is there a way to turn off the pitch increase in Fairlight when playing back at 2x speed (or faster)

it doesn't happen in the edit page and I can't see how it's useful in any way :(

DavidVogt

Re: Can you turn off pitch increase in Fairlight?

PostMon Mar 27, 2023 5:02 pm

It is useful for reducing the load on the computer when playing back audio with effects applied. FairLight was designed to play back 1,000’s of audio streams. Running a pitch shift process on each of those streams takes a lot of computing power.
Mac Studio ultra
Monterey 12.4
128 GB ram
2 TB SSD
48 TB HD disc storage, multiple RAIDS

dave4443

PostTue Mar 28, 2023 1:37 pm

DavidVogt wrote:It is useful for reducing the load on the computer when playing back audio with effects applied. FairLight was designed to play back 1,000’s of audio streams. Running a pitch shift process on each of those streams takes a lot of computing power.

But... I can fast forward it normally in the edit page without the pitch increase, I can also scrub the audio without the pitch increase? So why can't I then just fast forward in fairlight without the pitch increase haha

DavidVogt

PostWed Mar 29, 2023 1:06 am

As I indicated in my post, Fairlight, not the edit page, is tasked with playing 3000 tracks simultaneously. Spending many cpu cycles time shifting 3000 frames 30 times a second requires a powerful cpu.
Mac Studio ultra
Monterey 12.4
128 GB ram
2 TB SSD
48 TB HD disc storage, multiple RAIDS

dave4443

PostThu Mar 30, 2023 9:13 am

DavidVogt wrote:As I indicated in my post, Fairlight, not the edit page, is tasked with playing 3000 tracks simultaneously. Spending many cpu cycles time shifting 3000 frames 30 times a second requires a powerful cpu.

I get that, but as indicated by my post, those same audio tracks are in the edit page as well, so Resolve can manage to fast forward without a pitch increase, so it wouldn't be too extreme to think there could be an option to turn it off in Fairlight as well

Return to DaVinci Resolve