Audio Auto Sync and Align not working

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Dennis S.

Audio Auto Sync and Align not working

PostMon Mar 27, 2023 5:27 pm

Hello,
Currently I’m trying to record a new project and I just upgraded to DR 18 Studio.
For the new project im recording my audio externally with the Zoom H5 and an external Microphone. I’m completely new to this.

When I’m adding the footage from the camera and the external audio to the timeline and try to sync these I get an error that no match was found. Therefore the syncing failed. Even the alignment method doesn’t work. Well and I don’t know how to fix this.

I’m also using a shotgun Mic the Rode Pro on my Camera.

I attached some pictures of whats happening.

Does anyone of you know what the problem is?

Best regards
Dennis
Attachments
Selecting both files.png
Selecting both files.png (15.04 KiB) Viewed 514 times
Failed Auto Sync.png
Failed Auto Sync.png (16.17 KiB) Viewed 514 times
Failed Auto Align.png
Failed Auto Align.png (23.62 KiB) Viewed 514 times
Last edited by Dennis S. on Wed Mar 29, 2023 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jim Simon

Re: Audio Auto Sync and Align not working

PostMon Mar 27, 2023 10:58 pm

Feed one mic to both the Zoom and the camera. Don't use two different mics.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

GalinMcMahon

PostMon Mar 27, 2023 11:08 pm

What I will normally do is have the person running slate click it a few times in random patterns. That way Resolve can easily see the 3-4 peaks and line them up. Works flawlessly. On my last shoot I didn't do this and almost no clips auto sync'd. It's fun watching all the sideways glances from people on set who wouldn't know how to sync audio and therefore wouldn't understand why I do it that way.
Water cooled Windows 11 laptop
i9 12th gen - 64GB RAM - 16GB 3080ti
2TB 4th gen nvme main - 4TB 4th gen nvme scratch
Micro panel (thank you BM :) ) - Stream Deck
Resolve Studio 18.5
BenQ ultrawide - DeckLink 4k mini via Sonnet - 48” LG C2 OLED

Dennis S.

PostTue Mar 28, 2023 10:20 am

Jim Simon wrote:Feed one mic to both the Zoom and the camera. Don't use two different mics.

Thanks for the advice. The thing is, that my Camera has no XLR input, which the zoom has. That’s why I started recording the audio externally. The sound quality is much better. I’m shooting on a Sony a6400

Dennis S.

PostTue Mar 28, 2023 10:22 am

GalinMcMahon wrote:What I will normally do is have the person running slate click it a few times in random patterns. That way Resolve can easily see the 3-4 peaks and line them up. Works flawlessly. On my last shoot I didn't do this and almost no clips auto sync'd. It's fun watching all the sideways glances from people on set who wouldn't know how to sync audio and therefore wouldn't understand why I do it that way.

As you can see in the audio files there’s a peak in the beginning. That’s me clapping. But I’m only clapping once. I thought that’s enough. I’m going to try another version today, where i clap more often. Probably that’s gonna help DR doing the magic.

Dennis S.

PostTue Mar 28, 2023 11:20 am

GalinMcMahon wrote:What I will normally do is have the person running slate click it a few times in random patterns. That way Resolve can easily see the 3-4 peaks and line them up. Works flawlessly. On my last shoot I didn't do this and almost no clips auto sync'd. It's fun watching all the sideways glances from people on set who wouldn't know how to sync audio and therefore wouldn't understand why I do it that way.

As you can see in the audio files there’s a peak in the beginning. That’s me clapping. But I’m only clapping once. I thought that’s enough. I’m going to try another version today, where i clap more often. Probably that’s gonna help DR doing the magic.

Joe Shapiro

PostTue Mar 28, 2023 6:07 pm

Would you post an example of a clip and second audio that you think should sync? There have been bugs here before and it'd be good to hear what's not being matched.
Director, Editor, Problem Solver. Been cutting indie features for 23 years. FCP editor from version 2 to 7.
Resolve 18.6.6
MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max 64GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1
MacBook Air 13" M1 8GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1

Dennis S.

PostTue Mar 28, 2023 7:51 pm

Joe Shapiro wrote:Would you post an example of a clip and second audio that you think should sync? There have been bugs here before and it'd be good to hear what's not being matched.

Yes of course. I uploaded the 2 files (Ninja V and Zoom H5) to the drive.
Ill send you the url since the forum is not allowing me to write posts with urls

Dennis S.

PostWed Mar 29, 2023 4:42 pm

Hi again,

so I tried clapping multiple times to have more touchpoints for the audio sync and guess what. It worked! Oh my god :D

Jim Simon

PostThu Mar 30, 2023 7:39 pm

Dennis S. wrote: my Camera has no XLR input
Gotcha.

Doesn't need to be XLR, though. Many cameras only have a 1/8" mini for audio in.

If it's just not possible to get audio in...you might consider a camera upgrade. Because you really want either that mic feed - or timecode (which also uses the audio input).
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Uli Plank

PostFri Mar 31, 2023 3:32 am

Better feed and multiples claps can do the magic.
Another option is the best program for this approach, called PluralEyes. It can handle more of a difference in sound than DR's algorithm.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Return to DaVinci Resolve