DR Won't start anymore on my MacPro

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Baz

DR Won't start anymore on my MacPro

PostTue Mar 28, 2023 4:30 am

I have just finished editing 2 straight weeks using DaVinci Resolve 18.1.4 with another week to go.
Yesterday I came in to do the last week of editing and DaVinci Resolve stops when it reaches "Loading Audio Plugins".
I have found many people reporting the same problem with no clear answers.

So let me reinforce what I am saying here...

I have been running DaVinci Resolve 18.1.4 since the day it was released. I have changed NOTHING in my setup; no new apps, plugins updates; nothing. And now it has stopped working, completely!

I have a backup Mac where I replaced all the major components including memory modules, graphics cards, capture cards etc with no improvement. It always stops at "Loading Audio Plugins". This can be immediately seen by watching the 'force quit' window. When DaVinci Resolve is started it shows in the force quit window and then vanishes when the loader reaches Loading Audio Plugins.

Now I am stuck needing money and unable to finish my project where payment will be available on completion; and besides, I have never failed a client in my 50+ years of editing.

In my last desparate attempt, I have migrated the project over to an under powered Windows 10 machine and after re linking, all the media and timelines seem to be all there. But I need it on my Mac Pro.

So in summary:
Was working good and then not working at all... on the exact same computer.

Surely there is some users out there that have a solution.
(ps. I went to my VST folder and deleted ALL my VST files with no improvement. Oh, and I also reinstalled DaVinci)

Baz

MISC
U/S Express, SmartviewDuo, SmartScopeDuo, Teranex 2D, Web Pres, 5/7 Vid Assists
VIDEOHUB
Smart 12x12
12x24
72x144
HYPERDECK
Studio, Shuttle, Studio Mini
ATEM
2me4K, 2me, TVS, TVS HD, CamConvs, StudioConvs, Studio Cams, Micro Studio Cam

Uli Plank

Re: DR Won't start anymore on my MacPro

PostTue Mar 28, 2023 5:20 am

Look for one of the posts by Dwaine regarding corrupted preferences and where to kill them.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Baz

PostThu Mar 30, 2023 12:53 am

I was able to get 18.1.4 partially working. I achieved this by installing DR 17 and then reinstalling DR 18 again. By partially, I mean it now can load the project but when I open a timeline and press play, you can see the render happening and then gets to a certain point and just stops; hangs; and 'force quit' shows Davinci Resolve as red (unresponsive). This is bringing back bad memories of Adobe Premiere.

Oh Apple, why did you abandon us Final Cut Pro 7 users...

Baz

MISC
U/S Express, SmartviewDuo, SmartScopeDuo, Teranex 2D, Web Pres, 5/7 Vid Assists
VIDEOHUB
Smart 12x12
12x24
72x144
HYPERDECK
Studio, Shuttle, Studio Mini
ATEM
2me4K, 2me, TVS, TVS HD, CamConvs, StudioConvs, Studio Cams, Micro Studio Cam

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Mar 30, 2023 6:53 pm

Provide a link to a Resolve diagnostics log file. If Resolve gets far enough that you can access the Resolve Help menu, generate the log from there. If not, open Finder and navigate to /Library/Application Support/Blackmagic Design/DaVinci Resolve and run the CaptureLogs.app app. Assuming you are not using the Apple App Store version of Resolve.

A Mac System Information .spx is also often helpful.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Return to DaVinci Resolve